It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Wait, Nunes Hasn't Seen the Classified Material Purportedly Cited in the Memo?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

So a letter went out yesterday (Wednesday) from Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd to Rep. Devin Nunes. This revealed something that has been overlooked in much of the memo hubbub — Nunes hasn't actually seen the underlying classified documents.

The letter can be viewed in PDF format here. The thrust of the memo is that the relevant intelligence agencies should be able to review the memo to advise the HPSCI et al about release of related intelligence.

Justice Dept.: 'Reckless' to release Nunes memo without review

Washington (CNN)The Justice Department warned Wednesday that it "would be extraordinarily reckless" for the House intelligence Committee to release a classified memo publicly "without giving the Department and the FBI the opportunity to review the memorandum," and to "advise" on possible harm to national security and ongoing investigations from its public release.

The letter asks "why the Committee would possibly seek to disclose classified and law enforcement sensitive information without first consulting with the relevant members of the intelligence community."

Boyd wrote that the Justice Department has turned over more than 1,000 pages of classified documents to the committee "relating to the FBI's relationship, if any, with a source and its reliance, if any, on information provided by that source."

There's a particular line that really stood out at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph on the 2nd page:

Seeking Committee approval of public release would require HPSCI committee members to vote on a staff-drafted memorandum that purports to be based on classified source materials that neither you nor most of them have seen.

Flip back to page 1 and take a look at the notes at the bottom and you'll discover that the people to look at the documents were actually Rep. Trey Gowdy for the majority and Rep. Adam Schiff for the minority. Why not Nunes? I can only speculate but I can't help but wonder if when they worked out the terms with Speaker Ryan, they said something like, "anyone but that White House lapdog and spinner of failed narratives, Nunes."

Rep. Gowdy, a far more serious man than Nunes — oh, and a guy whose actually seen the classified source material — had this to say about the memo and about whether classified material from which it purportedly draws should be declassified or not.

Trey Gowdy reacts to DOJ warning on releasing memo on alleged FISA abuses: 'Let's lower the rhetoric'

"I have concerns about the process, about representations that may be made in court pleadings," he said. "I have concerns about the duty of government to provide complete, full, accurate information. FBI agents and prosecutors are not advocates at this stage. We are representatives to the courts. So there is an obligation to present accurate, full, complete information. And that's true in every criminal case or every counterintelligence case. They don't get the scrutiny that this one does."

"I mean, I would say this again. I like Stephen. I work well with him," Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor, replied. "It's really difficult to say a memo is reckless when you haven't read it. To the extent he says that they've seen no evidence of any impropriety or untowardness or inappropriate conduct during the process we just respectfully disagree."

Notice how he doesn't go full Nunetard like a Matt Gaetz?

Rep. Gowdy also seems to think that the DOJ/FBI should be apprised of the memo's contents and perhaps most surprisingly, given the intense partisan theatrics of the Nunes-Gaetz-DeSantis-Gohmert-Meaddows-etc Secret Shill Society — none of whom have seen the material themselves — Gowdy, who has, is also discouraging Trump from declassifying the underlying material.

During his interview, Gowdy advised President Trump, who after a successful vote from the intelligence panel would have five days to block its release, not to allow the declassification of the underlying material in order to protect members of the intelligence community. But the South Carolina Republican said it is still possible to have a valid conversation about it without divulging classified information if done "adroitly" and "carefully."

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Call Devin what you want, but he persevered against deeply entrenched deep state goons. Has them all panicky and being drug into the light. You seem panicky too.

Gowdy needs to man up for once and actually carry the ball over the goal line instead of stopping short like he usually does.

Until then he's not even fit to carry Nunes big-balled jock strap. Devin, like Trump, is Winning.
edit on 25-1-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The memo wouldn't exist if Nunes hadn't seen source material. What this letter suggests is that there is additional classified source material that exists that Nunes has not seen.

Until those documents are handed over, this letter doesn't mean anything. It's also rich that the DoJ are weighing in here given their apparent involvement in the supposed crimes.
edit on 1/25/18 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

You seem to have missed this. Accidentally I'm sure.

Still, Gowdy asserted the memo is important, adding that he has seen the underlying intelligence upon which the memo is based.

Gowdy has said that all the information the memo is based on, came from the FBI, yet they are crying about not seeing the memo. Why the theatrics?

"I mean, I would say this again. I like Stephen. I work well with him," Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor, replied. "It's really difficult to say a memo is reckless when you haven't read it. To the extent he says that they've seen no evidence of any impropriety or untowardness or inappropriate conduct during the process we just respectfully disagree."

He's saying Boyd hasn't seen the memo and disagrees with him when he says there's no evidence. I'd say there's plenty and the Democrats/FBI are use every tactic they can to avoid the release of this information.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Someone is so nervous they even took to time to make cute memes about it...

Cheer up buttercup, your chickens are coming home
to roost.

#MAGA

edit on 25-1-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Memos, leaks, dossiers, texts, emails, etc. all provided to us by the media. No wonder it's a never-ending merry-go-round of finger pointing, that's how they want it!

Now watch, months down the road when nothing comes from all these media provided scandals maybe you'll finally realize that you were wasting your time and mental energy while more important things were put on the backburner.
edit on 1/25/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Thank-goodness Trump isn't a career government, red-tape loving ditherer, like all these other entrenched swamp creatures.

And, thank-goodness that he has the final say! Congressmen who have seen the Memo, say that it's already "sanitized" for public consumption. It was DESIGNED to be that way.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The reason Gowdy is more measured is he was a prosecutor and is aware that ongoing investigations and future trials may be impacted by any release. And I don't mean Mueller (though that is obviously also true). Despite that, he is still for a release in as much as practical. I think that means he sees it as vitally important, if he's for releasing it despite those factors.
And if the FBI is the subject of investigations impacted, there's no way in hell they are giving them a bullet point memo anymore than the FBI would hand you their case file when asked if you were under investigation. I also read Gowdy, I believe, say that it all came from FBI/DOJ sources, so the FBI already has all the information, they just may not know what exactly it is in the memo. Why let them get ahead of the story or "lose" more evidence?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Call Devin what you want, but he persevered against deeply entrenched deep state goons. Has them all panicky and being drug into the light. You seem panicky too.

Gowdy needs to man up for once and actually carry the ball over the goal line instead of stopping short like he usually does.

Until then he's not even fit to carry Nunes big-balled jock strap. Devin, like Trump, is Winning.

Nunes has persevered against what exactly? As far as I can tell, he's spent the last year running interference for the Trump administration, working in coordination with the administration to undermine his own committee's investigation.

What can you say about a stooge who declared there was nothing to be found before he'd even investigated anything?

Devin Nunes is a lapdog.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Can you please point out where it states in your source material that Nunes has not read the memo?? All I can find is what you quoted Gowdy saying...that Boyd hasn't seen it. Maybe you forgot to post a link that has that information?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Memos, leaks, dossiers, texts, emails, etc. all provided to us by the media. No wonder it's a never-ending merry-go-round of finger pointing, that's how they want it!

Now watch, months down the road when nothing comes from all these media provided scandals maybe you'll finally realize that you were wasting your time and mental energy while more important things were put on the backburner.

Not going to happen, these people suffer from goldfish syndrome, in a few months there will be a new scandal to focus on ,that's how you make America great again and the plebs love you for it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Cool.

Another Ante thread.

Didn't have to wait long.

Thank goodness.

I am sure this is the one that will convince the masses to his way of logic and thinking!

Carry on.

Should be what...a day or two for a new ante thread?

So much is going on that I can't wrap my head around it.... glad I am not possessed to start a new thread every few days... Don't have too...ATS is on the ball.
edit on R312018-01-25T02:31:39-06:00k311Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R322018-01-25T02:32:10-06:00k321Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Cool.

Another Ante thread.

Thank goodness.

I am sure this is the one that will convince the masses to his way of logic and thinking!

Carry on.

Does his logic disturb you so much that you need to attack it ?

No rebuttal just attack and dismiss, I think it's safe to say you don't have the Witt to counter his so you criticize and condemn.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: The GUT

Nunes has persevered against what exactly? As far as I can tell, he's spent the last year running interference for the Trump administration, working in coordination with the administration to undermine his own committee's investigation.

What can you say about a stooge who declared there was nothing to be found before he'd even investigated anything?

Devin Nunes is a lapdog.

I would say he persevered in exactly what you accuse him of.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives Ethics Committee on Thursday cleared the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee of charges that he had disclosed classified information, potentially clearing the way for him to resume leadership of the panel’s Russia investigation.

Republican Representative Devin Nunes, who had consistently denied wrongdoing, thanked the committee for its finding, but said the probe had taken too long and the accusations against him were politically motivated.

Link

Well it appears Mr. Nunes was found to not be undermining the investigation by his peers. The Alt-Left already attempted to smear Mr. Nunes and we’re slapped in the face. He is back in charge now but you already knew that. Just like you knew Mr. Nunes has already been found above board by the ethics committee before you attempted to smear him again.

Typical Alt-Left tactic of rise and repeat until it sticks.... reminds me of hmmm I don’t know Russian collisions???

Go to bed, you’re obviously drunk.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
The memo wouldn't exist if Nunes hadn't seen source material. What this letter suggests is that there is additional classified source material that exists that Nunes has not seen.

Until those documents are handed over, this letter doesn't mean anything. It's also rich that the DoJ are weighing in here given their apparent involvement in the supposed crimes.

What apparent DOJ involvement in what supposed crimes? If you can't elaborate and give a factual basis for that assertion, I'm not sure why you're making it except that's exactly the narrative Nunes and pals have been pushing.

The memo wouldn't exist if Nunes hadn't seen source material.

One would assume so because that would be nuts if he hadn't, right? I refer back to statements made by Schiff a few days ago:

"Rife with factual inaccuracies and referencing highly classified materials that most Republican Intelligence Committee members were forced to acknowledge they had never read, this is meant only to give Republican House members a distorted view of the FBI," Schiff said. "This may help carry White House water, but it is a deep disservice to our law enforcement professionals."

No, it doesn't seem that the Nunes memo is based on an entirely different set of classified documents at all. The highly classified documents had to be viewed at a SCIF so it's not like they were sent to Nunes. I'm guessing that Gowdy briefed him to the extent that he could.

Which kinda begs the question. Why isn't Gowdy front and center on this? For that matter, why is Nunes playing it low key and letting the 2nd string shill force do all the hysterical alarmist ranting?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: RickinVa
Cool.

Another Ante thread.

Thank goodness.

Carry on.

Does his logic disturb you so much that you need to attack it ?

No rebuttal just attack and dismiss, I think it's safe to say you don't have the Witt to counter his so you criticize and condemn.

Not at all.... so mush disinformation is being spewed these days...both left and right.

No one knows exactly what is going on, but yet many are more than happy to jump on the partisan bandwagon to spout their point of view.

No need to do it every other day, no matter which side you are on.
edit on R372018-01-25T02:37:34-06:00k371Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

So you think its possible to write a classified document based off classified document without having seen them? Just asking but did it ever occur to you your interpretation of the facts might be incorrect?

PS often when information is requested the FBI will give them a brief. They don't see the actual documents they read a report from an analyst. What he has seen is analyst reports.
edit on 1/25/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

So you think its possible to write a classified document based off classified document without having seen them? Just asking but did it ever occur to you your interpretation of the facts might be incorrect?

Of course he does!! These are the same people who think using a fabricated dossier purchased by a political rival is enough to justify surveillance by the FBI of a elected US President.

Wrap your head around that for a second.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill
Someone is so nervous they even took to time to make cute memes about it...

Why would they be nervous?

I doubt OP has any skin in the game.

The idea that anyone involved in what we banter on about on ATS is actually going to come on here and post, because their spidey senses are going off, seems pretty ridiculous.
edit on 25-1-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You seem to have missed this. Accidentally I'm sure.

Nope, it seemed kinda redundant since I posted his actual quote. But now that I reread it, it does reiterate the point that Rep. Trey Gowdy, unlike Nunes and his merry band of halfwits, has actually seen the high classified source material.

Thanks for posting!

Gowdy has said that all the information the memo is based on, came from the FBI, yet they are crying about not seeing the memo. Why the theatrics?

Gowdy:

"Everything in the memo they already have," Gowdy said. "What they don't know specifically is what are the complaints. And I'm fine to share them with them, but you can't possibly say a memo was reckless if you haven't read it."

I'll spare you the "I guess you accidentally missed this part" jab. They don't know what the memo alleges. There's no reason that they shouldn't know what the memo alleges. As you can clearly see, Gowdy shares that opinion. The theatrics here are on the part of Nunes and friends.

He's saying Boyd hasn't seen the memo and disagrees with him when he says there's no evidence. I'd say there's plenty and the Democrats/FBI are use every tactic they can to avoid the release of this information.

You'd say there's plenty based on what? Have you seen the memo or the classified source material it purportedly draws from?
edit on 2018-1-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join