It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Hugh Masekela RIP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was a kid jazz enthusiast when I first saw him years ago in Washington DC. The Trumpet has always been my best instrument to listen to and the great Hugh Masekela was one of the first greats I fell in love with.

We've lost one of the Jazz all time greats Hugh Masekela...may he RIP

Hugh was also a great freedom fighter for the South African nation

Trumpeter and singer-songwriter who was a pioneer of jazz in South Africa and a campaigner against apartheid in exile

Hugh Masekela, who has died aged 78, was one of the world’s finest and most distinctive horn players, whose performing on trumpet and flugelhorn mixed jazz with South African styles and music from across the African continent and diaspora. Exiled from his country for 30 years, he was also a powerful singer and songwriter and an angry political voice, using his music and live performances to attack the apartheid regime that had banished him from his homeland.

Even when he had returned to the country of his birth under the leadership of Nelson Mandela, after having lived and worked in the US and in Botswana, Masekela continued to comment fearlessly on political events in South Africa and around the world, enjoying his status as an international celebrity, playing for presidents and royalty and concert audiences, and often collaborating with other musical greats.

www.theguardian.com...

Hugh Masekela: six decades of sounds from the father of South African jazz

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

He was a fabulous musician. Did you see him at the Kennedy Center? I saw him perform at my state's performing arts center. I worked in their marketing department and got free tickets...I was so glad I nabbed them up! He was one of the greats.

RIP Hugh.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
One of the greats for sure.
R.I.P.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Nice tribute. I think he says "it's better to enjoy life, than let it eat you up". I would have to agree.

RIP. He was awesomely talented.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

He was a fabulous musician. Did you see him at the Kennedy Center? I saw him perform at my state's performing arts center. I worked in their marketing department and got free tickets...I was so glad I nabbed them up! He was one of the greats.

RIP Hugh.

It was so long ago I don’t remember but it likely was the Carter Barron

I’m a jazz trumpet aficionado though I play guitar and that guy was a blaster a beautiful player

edit on 24-1-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Wow! It was largely through his music ,that I was able to connect to South Africa and that thing they called apartheid, first came across his music in my friend's basement.
edit on 25-1-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join