It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question of political correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Contemporary religion has managed to usurp the politics of our establishments to the point where it is 'politically incorrect' to criticize in public and it seems that religious people think they have some 'right' to be offended at derogatory remarks that they themselves consider unacceptable.

The little lambs of the Lord are prompt to hide between a hypocritical face of innocence, with statements such as 'I have my Jesus. Why do you have to impose on my faith?'. It's very easy to offend religious people and thus to be immediately denounced and criticized.

Which would be fine, except.. I myself feel really offended by the stuff religious people (and especially Christians and Muslims) spew around.

How is it rational to give Christians the freedom to say that all those who do not share their view are going to burn in Hell for all eternity? How is that not incredibly offensive to every rational person in the world? At the same time if I make fun of their religions by comparing their Jesus to a gay queen, and his followers to closeted homosexuals, well.. of course - I am being offensive and have to be censored. Well, OK, I agree I was being offensive and that it was proper that my comments were deleted. But no derogatory remark of any kind can come *even close* to the various statements about how all of us non-believers are going to burn in hell for all eternity. And the nerve of these people is astounding.

"How do Christians say '# you'? - 'We'll pray for you."

What right do people have to spew ridiculous nonsense about? If I was to make a topic to explain how all peaceful-minded and rational people in this world are going to suffer in Hell for all eternity, I should be labeled as a lunatic and my posts should be deleted. Only the existence of *artificially protected* religions like Christianity is what makes such a post seem not that strange or offensive in comparison.

It is almost physically painful to me to read all the various smug comments coming from Christians who bask in the light of 'being saved' from the horrors that await normal people. Of course, these innocent lambs appear even nobler in that they're 'trying' to save us from this eternal damnation.

Case in point. This is incredibly offensive to me.

My own stance on the matter is that religions should be denied this comfortable blanket of political correctness that compels the rest of us to pretend we take their ideology seriously. In fact, I'd vote for any leader who promises to forbid people from expressing religious views and trying to convert other people. Spewing religious propaganda under the pretense of 'trying to save your soul' is incredibly offensive to me and I, for one, want to live in a world where it is forbidden by law.

It is simply unacceptable that religious affiliation gives you the right to spit in people's faces and then hide behind 'freedom of religious expression'.

Anyway. I am certainly not the only one who feels this way, right?

tl;dr - I find various religious ideas offensive and would question whether people should have the right to openly express them and/or to try and convert other people. I don't think people should have the right to say you and I are going to go to Hell, because we don't believe in their bloodthirsty fairy-tale.
edit on 24-1-2018 by Rhaegar7 because: typos and p.s.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Rhaegar7

" I find various religious ideas offensive and would question whether people should have the right to openly express them and/or to try and convert other people. I don't think people should have the right to say you and I are going to go to Hell, because we don't believe in their bloodthirsty fairy-tale."

People can believe what they want and also try to convert who they want. It is free will. I don't want to live in a place like North Korea where you get killed for what you believe, or to live in a place that you get killed for lack of.

I do agree some religious nuts are downright rude, but so are non religious people. Some of the most religious people I know have some serious skeletons in the closet, maybe having religion helps them cope with their demons?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

People can believe what they want and also try to convert who they want. It is free will. I don't want to live in a place like North Korea where you get killed for what you believe, or to live in a place that you get killed for lack of.

Free Will? Try telling a cop no when he 'asks' you to step out of the car.

Korea has been invaded, bombed, portioned, embargoed, blockaded, sanctioned, threatened with annihilation and spied upon constantly by the US, for decades. I don't blame them one bit for being a little paranoid and 'jumpy'.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ok first, I did read through all of your post, and this is not to be critical to you. I agree some people are over the top on things, religion, politics, etc. as annoying as it can be at times, and yes even offensive to ones views.

However they have the right to say what they want, they however are also responsible for any repercussions, to actions or statements. Just because someone is offended by something does not mean it cannot be or should not be said, in fact the 1A is there to specifically that kind of speech.

Being considerate and tactful should be the norm, however in this day and age that is rarer. Banning speech because it is offensive or not politically correct is unconstitutional, and should be rallied against at every instance it is brought up.

When things come to people preaching on religion, and which ever sect they belong to, or when they attempt to place their view of morality on me, I will usually turn it around on them. So much so I typically make them question their own views or beliefs.

I personally will debate most people on anything even if I may agree with most of what they are saying, I'll even play devils advocate just to watch them squirm.

My advice is ask them to stop if it is bothering you, if they don't just ignore them, it drives them up the wall, or engage in debate and make them squirm.

Just my 2 cents

Grim

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Offending people usually happens when you speak the truth but being offended doesn't necessarily make you right.

“Hypocrites get offended by the truth.” ~ Jess C. Scott

“Why is it that anyone thinks they’re entitled to go through life without ever being offended?” ~ Randy Cassingham

It’s now very common to hear people say, “I’m rather offended by that.” As if that gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more… than a whine. “I find that offensive.” It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. “I am offended by that.” Well, so #ing what. ~ Stephen Fry

edit on 1.24.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimmley

I generally agree.

However.. There is a subtle, but important difference.

If I were to say "In Christian thought, it is supposed that those who ultimately reject Christ and do not repent before their death, will have to endure an everlasting punishment in what they call 'Hell', which is depicted as being a lake of fire in which the damned will burn for all time." that would be a perfectly fine contribution to a topic.

But they never say that. It's always 'It's never too late to find Jesus!', 'We will pray for you!', 'I am basking in the light of salvation.' (which implies that we, on the other hand, are #ed), 'I really hope you will find God in time!'.. and so on and so forth.. It is rare that someone explicitly says that 'All non-believers will sadly find themselves in Hell.', but it does happen occasionally too.

This kind of preaching is somehow accepted as being protected by 'freedom of speech'.

Well, if I said that all Jews are going to burn in Hell, that comment will immediately be deleted and I will be warned.

But to say that all non-Christians will burn in Hell.. Well, now it's perfectly OK.

It is really offensive. I don't understand why people are defending it. Status quo bias?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Interesting rant...

What if I tell you -- as a Christian -- that God don't make no junk and I don't think you're going straight to hell? Is that okay? Or is that offensive too just because I spoke as a Christian?

Or what if I tell you that I think you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny? Is that okay, even though it's obviously intended to be offensive, just because I didn't bring God into it? As opposed to, "God made you ugly and your mother dresses you funny"?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Another thing that bugs me is that there is no law to protect children from religious manipulation. Similarly to alcohol and drugs, I'd imagine that children should be protected from religious indoctrination at least until they are 18. In the meantime, there are mothers who kill their children, so that they go to Heaven.. not to mention millions of children who have to repress the horrific idea of everlasting punishment from early childhood.. That is child abuse!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

My meter found zero rational thought in that post of yours.

And to reiterate.. You think you have a right to judge whether I am going to Hell or not? Now that is offensive. And your whole post is insulting. Just proves my point really.
edit on 24-1-2018 by Rhaegar7 because: clarification

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
PC is a religion. There are rules, and punishments if you don't follow it. People that follow the religion of PC have bigotry and hatred to those that don't follow their religion.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

LOL So there should be laws against parenting? Parents are human, meaning they'll have human strengths and weaknesses. It's literally the parents' job to teach their children "right" from "wrong" and to teach their children how to navigate society. But what determines what's "right" and "wrong"? A government's laws or the parents' personal philosophies?

If it's the parents' personal philosophies, then religious and/or spiritual beliefs will play a part in it because the vast majority of humans around the world are religious and/or spiritual. But if only a govt's laws should be taught as what's "right" and "wrong", it completely undermines the point of parenting while still potentially being based in religious and/or spiritual beliefs. After all, most local and national politicians are still going to have religious and/or spiritual beliefs that will surely influence the laws they pass.

So how can parenting without any religious and/or spiritual influence be outlawed until a person is 18? That doesn't even make sense.

Person on tv: "Burn in Hell!"
Underaged child: "Mom, what does Hell mean?"
Underaged child's mother: "Oh I'm sorry, I can't teach you that until you're 18."
Underaged child: "Well is it a good thing or not? I don't understand the context for the scene I just saw"
Underaged child's mother: "Lalala, I can't hear you. Ask again when you're 18..."

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Because it is covered by the 1A, as is a member of islam or any other form of religion. They are instructed to convert others that do not believe in their religion. They are instructed to spread the gospel and to convert, tact and finesse are lost on some lol. But back to the point of you finding it annoying and offensive, does not make it ok to ban any kind of speech. Again ask them to stop if you are not interested or just ignore them, because being offended is not an excuse ever to ban speech.

Grim

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

My own stance on the matter is that religions should be denied this comfortable blanket of political correctness that compels the rest of us to pretend we take their ideology seriously. In fact, I'd vote for any leader who promises to forbid people from expressing religious views and trying to convert other people. Spewing religious propaganda under the pretense of 'trying to save your soul' is incredibly offensive to me and I, for one, want to live in a world where it is forbidden by law.

All because you get offended? Rather than deny others their freedom of conscience, speech, religion, might I suggest you grow a pair.
edit on 24-1-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

But when they are offended, they do repress freedom of speech. Isn't that hypocritical?

And what kind of an answer is that really?

I don't have the right to get offended? Why do you feel the need to demean me in order to contest what I have to say? Did I try to demean you?
edit on 24-1-2018 by Rhaegar7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

But when they are offended, they do invoke freedom of speech. Isn't that hypocritical?

It's a mark of tyranny to wish to censor someone because of your fee fees.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Saying to the child that 'some religious people believe that bad people will be punished after this life and Hell is the place of punishment' is very different from saying 'If you're not a good boy, you will go to Hell for all eternity, where you will burn and scream and cry, forever and ever.'

Isn't it?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
100% correct...

Advocating free speech only when it supports their world view IS offensive to all.

I’m offended by people that believe their views are automatically correct even though their ‘evidence’ runs no deeper than feelings.

I’m offended by people that think being offended counts as a valid argument.

I’m offended by people who say “I support free speech but…”. These people do not support free speech. Typically they only want free speech when it’s in line with their world view.

I’m offended by tribal dogma. Otherwise known as argument from popularity, this is the idea that because a lot of other people in my tribe believe the same thing it must be correct.

I’m offended by censorship of any kind. That’s right I’m a free speech absolutist. And yes, this means allowing yourself to hear things you or I may find deeply offensive or even hurtful. Turn off. Log out. Switch off, and grow up.

I’m offended by people that are unable to withstand rational, reasonable criticism of ideas, without crying, shutting down and taking it personally.

I’m Offended

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

But if I said that Jesus sucked monkey cock for a living, my post would generally get deleted? (unless the admin found it to be humorous.. maybe?)

It is my religion that Jesus was a closeted homosexual who invented butt sex and his saying that 'if you look at a woman with lust you have already sinned' totally confirms it. And I also believe that fags will go to hell, so now I will start calling Christians 'faggots' and telling them that they are going to burn in Hell.

Is it nice? Should I be doing it?
edit on 24-1-2018 by Rhaegar7 because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rhaegar7

But if I said that Jesus sucked monkey cock for a living, my post would generally get deleted? (unless the admin found it to be humorous.. maybe?)

It is my religion that Jesus was a closeted homosexual who invented butt sex and his saying that 'if you look at a woman with lust you have already sinned' totally confirms it. And I also believe that fags will go to hell, so now I will start calling Christians 'faggots' and telling them that they are going to burn in Hell.

Is it nice? Should I be doing it?

Yes, and I defend your right to the death to do so.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Yes. Make me a bigot for not tolerating religious bull#.

Who said I advocated free speech? I don't. You think you have a 'right to your opinion'? Well, I have a right to not listen to your opinion if I find it offensive. In my mind you have a 'right to keep your opinion to yourself' and you certainly don't have the right to teach your child that it will go to Hell if it doesn't kiss the feet of your imaginary messiah. That for me is child abuse.

Yeah, call me a pussy for getting offended, while simultaneously trying your best to offend me. It must be working great for you, no?

And you, 'my friend', are engaging in ego masturbation, by imagining yourself as a champion of free speech. Keep wanking, I find it amusing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join