It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When your young your liberal and when your old your conservative , explained.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
When you're young you are idealistic, when you're old you are bitter

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

How can we trust either in a system where govt bails out the big business.

The two options I see are let the system crash now, and start over again, or let it crash harder later.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eshel

Just to follow up: Does this mean that young conservatives become further right wing or remain in the same spot?

To me it seems like you're saying it's 2 connected dots on a ruler. As one moves the the other moves even further right.

He's saying "we" don't move at all, but the generalized definition of what is liberal and what is conservative shifts based on time and the forces of the prevailing beliefs over time. I don't entirely disagree with the premise. I've said for quite some time now that I've not really changed my politics over my life. I don't believe the definition of "conservative" or "liberal" should be objective and evolving, however. Personally speaking, I believe there to be an increasing number of liberals in the GOP (we call 'em RINOS), and this theory certainly explains that.

I think I have had a heart for my whole life, but being told I didn't has never really bothered me at all, so I have that working for me.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Conservative = hold onto the traditions of the past..

Liberal = throw away the traditions of the past in favor of making societal changes..

Interracial marriage being illegal was the tradition of the past..

It was still illegal in MOST states as recently as the 60s...

That isn’t ancient history..

When obama won his first term 25% of MS republicans said interracial marriage should be illegal, in exit polls.

EVERY conservative in the country agreed with it being illegal less than 40 years ago..

Now almost no conservatives do.. why???

Because those who are not against it were the liberals of that generation..

Lmao..

People always act like this stuff wasn’t historically last week..

this isnt ancient history lol..

This is your parents or grand parents time..

I’m only 36 and watched the change over personally..

Interracial relationships went from unthinkable, to the object of scorn, to presently only being frowned upon.

To be fair I grew up in Mississippi.. so maybe not the national average.. but UNDOUBTABLY TRUE HERE.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
My liberal views haven't changed now that I'm in my 30's.

More than ever I uphold the values of free speech and free expression. I also still 100% believe every person should be allowed to put whatever they like in their bodies and am completely against the war on drugs. I'm also for a smaller and less intrusive government.

Likewise as when I was younger my conservative viewpoints are mostly the same. I've never wanted open borders which is just stupid. Dems agreed as that was a Bill Clinton campaign note but they've change their views simply because of Trump. I'm anti-abortion for the most part. Have always felt that way as myself and my two siblings were adopted. Our biological mothers easily could have opted for abortion and then my family would never have existed. I also have never believed in heavily taxing the wealthy as I've always bought into the idea that hard work should be rewarded. You work hard to build something profitable you should reap the rewards.

Really, classic liberalism has nothing to do with the modern left. The modern left is anti-free speech and policing of both thought and speech which is actually an extremely right wing point of view. The modern left loves to control what goes into one's body as we've seen with the attacks on smokers and now mandating 40+ vaccinations for children here in CA. Classic liberalism places value on the individual and freedom of thought whereas the current left has been swept up by group think and attacking opposing viewpoints. A classic liberal also stands for a smaller government and fighting for protecting the rights of the citizens whereas again, the modern left is on opposition of such beliefs and has gone with major, intrusive government which steps all over the rights of the citizens and enacts anti-constitutional policies.

Classic liberalism even opposes a welfare state as it disrupts a free market and takes the onus away from the individual.

The modern left is in no way liberal. It's an odd mix of extreme right wing conservatism/extremism mixed with communist and fascist traits.

Till this day I remain fairly liberal on numerous issues but according to the modern left, even a classic liberal is now a right wing Nazi. In being a liberal I can't vote for current Dems as they point blank no longer represent liberal viewpoints.
edit on 24-1-2018 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

They are different...

One side wants to progress faster and one side wants to retain the traditions of the past.

Sure, you have people who fake beliefs and get paid off, but imho saying both are the same is a cop out.

It means someone is unwilling to decide what they think about issues.

They are different when it comes to rhetoric not when it comes to action for the most part. When it comes to lobbyist wants they are the same and lobbyist are the ones that draft the regulations for the elected DNC and GOP candidates.

The U.S. government does not represent the interests of the majority of the country's citizens, but is instead ruled by those of the rich and powerful, a new study from Princeton and Northwestern universities has concluded.

How do you feel about abortion??

It doesn’t matter both sides are the same..

Again you are talking about ideals and rhetoric in reality very little changes comes between both parties. Did Bush make it illegal to get abortions or are abortions still occuring?

How about guns? Did Obama talk a lot of Sh1t , sure but are guns banned?

However, I think its the right of the parents to decide at an early term stage of the pregnancy. However, why did abortion rights have to become Politically polarizated in the first place by the GOP and the DNC?

perhaps for the same reason as they have done with racism,sexuality,religion, global warming, and just about every subject?

Is it impossible or that rare for a Republican to believe in abortion rights, gay rights, atheism, anti gun rights, and global warming?

Perhaps the GOP and the DNC don't give a F about any of it in reality and their real intention is simply to keep the people divided and fighting? If you look at actions of the GOP,DNC and the MSM that is exactly what they have done. Why because that is the goal of the lobbyiest so the public doesn't focus on the REAL issue rampant conflict of interest between our gov't and the highest bidding lobbyist.

How do you feel about government regulations????

Again you are talking ideals and rhetoric.

the truth of the matter is the republicans talk a big game about regulations and big gov't but what was the real difference between Bush and Obama? Nothing. Obama was bush 2.

The republicans grew big gov't under bush, started the bailouts, created the patriot act, homeland security , did not de regulate anything, and became the world police. Obama continued the same policies and kicked in another notch with Obamacare which republicans labeled the antichrist regulations. So what do republicans do when they have full control barely nothing and let obamacare continue. Why because the healthcare lobbyiest that drafted it are making a gazillion dollars since obamacare kicked in.

Speaking of regulations. Funny enough the first regulation this republican congress declares war on is the only regulation that allowed for a free market to exist and was the most consumer friendly regulation ever created by pure luck. So they go full retard and shut down net neutrality which benefited small businesses and the people versus going after the lobbyist friendly regulations that allow for the existing telecom industry to continue to rape their customers that can't stand them but have no choice to take it.

The GOP ,DNC and the MSM are simply tools of the lobbyist . Our gov't isn't run by a fairy tale where political ideals rule , Cash CASH rule it and the lobbyist have the cash.

In reality Trump was an unexpected wildcard and even the GOP didn't want or like him and tried to smear him as well. Heck even Bush came out and said he voted for Hillary along with many other Republicans.

edit on 07131America/ChicagoWed, 24 Jan 2018 20:07:45 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Eh, that's a very shallow analysis. And I don't agree with much of it. I don't see people's views on social issues 'growing more conservative.' It's their views on spending that tend to grow more conservative.

Here's what you maybe didn't consider: While in the U.S., Democrats are considered the *liberal* party -- they aren't really liberal. Sure, they exploit liberal social issues to the party's benefit and like to spend money, but that doesn't make them liberal in any genuine sense.

So, eventually the Democratic party eats their own. That's why mature people flee from them eventually.

As you age, you also become aware that the government is corrupt & wasteful when it comes to spending and there is no oversight. You have oversight at your own job, and you begin to notice how there's no real oversight in government.

So, you have no choice but to leave liberal spending policies behind. You realize they were just starry-eyed hopes you had when you believed the budget was being handled by people with integrity...people you could trust.

Cynicism and savvy...that's why people *appear* to go from liberal to conservative to you. It's much more complex than that though.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
BTW, OP probably broke the record for number of times he misused "your" in a sentence.

All four of them should have been "you're".

You're is simply a shorter version of "you are".

Perhaps that's no longer being taught in all the Dem led school districts where English is now the second language.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

People never even knew about the secret votes, the real way that candidates were chosen, they did not know about the Caucus, or any of the reality which made up our political arena.

Conflict, the voice of change, marches, have always been there but not to the degree which they are today, I think of the peaceful marches of Dr MLK, The Medals heard around the world, the woman's suffrage parade of 1913 and then of places like Furgeson. The people of yesterday were a completely different quality and more importantly of knowledge such as the current generation shares due to the internet, the internet changed everything in ways no one could have imagined even 15 years ago.

Oops have to run, be back...

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

You go girl!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

We can’t trust either totally, but the government is atleast somewhat kept in check through the voting process.

What keeps big buisness in check??

Profit and only profit..

We have to “trust the government “ at least to regulate the fat cats.

I think we finally have the technology to end corruption and that is where the anti-government push comes from.

We could track every dollar, so now the corporate interests claim “government is the problem..”

They raped and pillaged as long as the technology made it easy to get away with. Now that it doesn’t they want to shut it down to protect their ill gotten gains.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No everyone has steadily moved left. Which is undeniable.

Gay rights, attempts to stop inter-racial marriage, sufferage, slavery all were championed by the far right of their time.

Well obviously we don’t still have a 1950s view, or a 1900sveiw, or a 1850s view...

In any of those times a modern conservative would be considered crazy far left..

The only place that gets weird is when you have things like prohibition, where the conservative side is the ones who want the broad societal change..

Or some situation where the left wants to return to He traditions of the past.

Besides that it is always easy to know who wants change and who wants traditional values.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: antar

Your nuts..

Now isn’t even remotely as extreme as previous eras..

MLK was assassinated.. and the civil rights marches were violently attacked by hard core right wingers..

The aftermath of the civil war was the most domestic terrorism in American history.. the 1970s was about 10 times more dangerous for police than the 1990s, vietnam had a lot of violent protests and domestic terrorism, the 1920s was he KKK resurgence..

Make no mistake we have only improved..

The funny part is that the left or progress is always right in the end, because progress is change. Change equals the left..

That doesn’t mean those wanting change don’t screw up a few times before getting it right, but the conservative adherence to traditions always looses..

edit on 25-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

We gotta get you a grammar badge and maybe a cookie...

Obviously , the communication was sent and received or you wouldn’t have noticed the mistake...

People who attack grammar on a Internet forum usually means you do not have a counterpoint concerning the actual topic..

This is not a high school/college term paper..

These are glorified text messages..

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

No I am saying that people don’t change much, but society changes around them..

Take inter-racial relationships..

I don’t think many people have changed their views on the issue, it is their children who changed those views..

When you were a kid, the average liberal of the 1960s, became the conservatives of the 1980s, then the liberals of the 80s became the conservatives of the 2000s.

Why??

Because what was considered the left wing policy, became the moderate position, which became the right wing spot..

The whole time the persons view of interracial relationships never changed..

What was considered each political sides positions changed..

The modern conservative thinks interracial marriage should be legal, but isn’t for them personally. Well that was the liberal position of the 1970s...

In the 1970s the conservative position was that interracial marriage should be illegal.

For your analysis to be true would require for the political sides to have maintained the same policies.. and people change and jump back and forth..

Obviously that isn’t the case.. because both sides beliefs have constantly changed.

An average modern kKK member would correctly think the average abolitionists of the civil war was WAY more racists than they were..

Why?? Because Society changed not single individuals opinions.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You can pick any social issue you want and that dynamic holds true..

It is called progress..

Racism, sufferage, slavery, gay fights, intergration...

What is conservative today, was the liberal position 40 years ago, and the conservative position of 40 years ago would disgust the average conservatives today...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Good day to you and a feeling of peace descend upon your injured heart.
edit on am131amThu, 25 Jan 2018 08:29:50 -0600 by antar because: Double post...Taking the high road somewhat...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You are just offensive and mean. You imho are the nutter. Good day to you and a feeling of peace descend upon your cold heart.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: antar

For pointing out that the past was worse?!?! Lol

I really didn’t mean “your nuts” in a derogatory way.. I meant it just as a figure of speech for “your wrong”, I was not saying you are mentality disabled lol..

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I disagree. The reason we can't trust business is because govt gets I involved and plays favorites. The govt is not kept in check at all. Voters simply oscillate from one political extreme to the other in hopes to find a politicians who will wipe their asses for them... hence the 2 party system. What needs to change is the mind set of the voters. They need to learn personal responsibility. They need to learn that government is not there to babysit us, or handle our bully problems. Maybe then we could actually elect people who have respect for our bill of rights.

We don't need more regulation. The transparency via technology thing sounds good, but numbers can easily be fudged, and transparency is only useful if people are actually watching.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join