It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When your young your liberal and when your old your conservative , explained.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Either way, both sides want control in our individual lives. The right wants moral control, the left wants economic control. Both systems are evil.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I think interracial marriage is the perfect example.. what was left, becomes moderate and then ends up conservative as younger generations disagree with the old interpretation.

I know many, many conservative couples in interracial marriages or relationships. I grew up in a California county that consistently votes red, yet is full of minority conservatives and interracial marriages in that group of people.

I think that you're assuming a lot in saying, "I think interracial marriage is the perfect example."

I would argue that many, many people change as they age and that, again, you're making assumptions for which you are not presenting any proof. But you will argue differently.

Unless you want to provide proof of your interracial-marriage claim, we're at a stalemate, because my nearly 40 years of life experience shows me that many people change over time, unless they get themselves trapped in an ideological echo chamber.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Said every pro-slavery, pro-segregatio, anti sufferage, anti-democracy apologist in history..

That is always the argument of those trying to slow progress.

Imho it is never that “things are moving too fast” . It is either that form of progress is right or wrong.. aka it wasn’t progress at all.

If slavery is evil it can’t end too quickly..

If prohibition is wrong then it cannot be implemented too slowly.

edit on 24-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Either way, both sides want control in our individual lives. The right wants moral control, the left wants economic control. Both systems are evil.

This is spot on.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Um..

So the right doesn’t want taxes or inferstucture??

They just want everyone to make their own roads and fire departmentS?

Of course not..

They both want control over economics they just have different opinions of who should pay what percentage of it and benefit from it.

The right thinks the rich should pay less and the poor pay more , so the rich can keep more for themselves..

The left thinks the rich should pay more because it doesn’t hurt them as badly.. because obviously the poor paying more might be life or death.

I personally suspect we can have both expanded services and lower taxes if we clean up corruption and streamline everything..but that’s neither here nor there

That said the left wants social control too.. look at gay cakes.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Both systems are evil?!?!

That’s a bit much. Especially considering all ownership comes from the government..

You don’t own your property by divine right.. you own it because the US government says you get to.

If the US government vanishes tomorrow. You don’t own your land.. the local warlord dies.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I already explained this, but I'll re-quote it for you so that you can read it again.

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

It's a catchy saying, and one to which I used to subscribe (for the most part), but then I REALLY started looking at the big picture, realized that both ideologies are taking us down the same dangerous road (to less freedoms and liberties, coupled with ever-narrowing rights), and found that, while it's hard work, it pays to look at the big picture, research things, and then think for one's self, regardless as to whether or not the political flavor of the moment agrees.

But I'll grant you this: The "evilness" of it depends on whether you believe this to be the goal, or just a bi-product of the political realm's myopic view.

I believe that this is a plan, personally.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Too bad your theory completely ignores the advancement of technology and it's effect on a society as people age.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i think you might have something there OP... and as a young liberal i was told i would 'get it' when i got older, by older conservatives, and become conservative like them... but over the last 20 years i seem to have gotten even more liberal. and my grandma-in-law is past 70 and a fiery liberal herself. so fortunately there are some exceptions to the trend.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You make a good point. There is a grey area between the two ideologies, and I think that grey area is closer to sanity, but you have to admit that the right talks more about smaller govt with legislated morality, where the left is larger govt and legislated social equality.

Both ideologies are tyrannical, and both inevitably lead to totalitarian deification of the state.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think the OP has some truth in it....but its more related to kids being made to share, and being made to find egalitarian solutions to thing.

As a kid, you'd think nothing about standing with your arms around your best friend. As an adult...that kinda stuff doesn't happen. As a kid you'd think nothing about sharing your lunch. As an adult, i can't say that its ever been a possibility presented. As a kid you'd think nothing about sharing a space and having little to no privacy. As an adult, you want privacy.

"Liberalism" hits on many of the same points that we foist upon our children. Sharing, helping, caring, etc. As an adult we have a more defined sense of self, and see less and less value in losing our personal identity into a sea of classmates.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I don’t think so...

I think in a nutshell that both parties are bought and paid for , but by different groups that want different things..

The gop is bought and paid for by big corporate buisness. So they want lower taxes and less regulation and less employee protections.

The left was bought and paid for by the unions, so they want worker level reforms..

The thing is that one is way closer to an accurate analogy of the American people than the other..

Are a handful of CEOs a good analogy of the American people, or are all the union employees a good analogy??

Obviously the union employees are...

So imho it is not benevolence that makes the Dems closer to right.. it is just the path of least resistance that does.
edit on 24-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The politicians may be bought out, but what about the voters? They're the ones sold on the ideologies, and that ultimately keeps the two party system alive. The politicians simply appeal to the voters' desire to control each other (morally and economically).
edit on 24-1-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

edit on 24-1-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The reason people tend to grow more conservative as they get older is because a lifetime of real world experience demonstrates to them that liberal policies tend to only sound good on paper and tug at your heartstrings, but make little sense in the real world. To combat this tendency, kids are being held in a perpetual state of adolescence well into their 20s now, so this process is delayed until they're considerably older, if it comes at all. By the time the real life experience should start encroaching on the pie-in-the-sky ideals, it's so melded into their thinking they can't separate from it.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

You have an excellent point. The problem is, as people grow older, they tend to become more bitter and over estimate their own wisdom. The result is what we have in the white house now.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was a conservative Christian hawk when I was younger.

I evolved over the years to be more liberal and non-religious.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

a reply to: watchitburn

Probably because boarders mean less and less as civilization advances. Technology makes travel easier and cheaper. So humans wanna go more places..

So immigration will become more and more commonplace and what now is considered being “liberal” on immigration. Will be the conservative position and the future liberals will not want to deal with the paperwork of strict boarders when it takes 45min to get from France to Canada.

You have some brown stuff on and around your mouth.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Urantia1111

BWAHAHAHA

BETTER PEOPLE THAN YOU HAVE ATTENDED TO GET ME TO PROOF READ! Lol

ATTEMPTED! Lol

That might be one reason why you aren't attaining what you think life owes you. You have yet to learn how to take polite correction from those who know when it is offered.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I don't know any conservatives that think interracial marriage should be illegal.

I also don't think people fit in neet little boxes.

He's working from the "conservatives are always on the side of evil" projection paradigm.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I don’t think it is anything that sinister..

The gop wants tax breaks and deregulation for their corporate masters. So abortion, wars on Christmas and fictional gun confiscation are the vehicles they use to control the sheep to vote for them..

The Dems want higher wages, more employee protections and more immigration (since immigrants vote dem more often, not out of some benevolency). So sob stories about immigrants, putting “black” into issues that are not black only problems and such are the vehicles to get the sheep to vote for them..

The question is , what is the bigger threat to modern society??

Catering to the CEO level Americans??

Or catering to the working class Americans??

There are only 2 options, and I do mean only 2, because refusing to do one is doing the other..

Option a) trust the federal government.

Option B) trust big buisness Intrests.

If we do not trust the federal government to regulate big buisness, then we are inherently trusting big buisness to do what is right for society..

And what is right for society isn’t on the big buisness list of stuff to do..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join