It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When your young your liberal and when your old your conservative , explained.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I seem to recall protesting liberal feminists wearing large vaginas.
I really hope they are not typical democrats.

Most people fit in the grey area instead of black and white.
But you are right, attitudes change.
People need to let them change at their own pace and not force it.
edit on 24-1-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Things seem very easy until you live them.

It sounds very simple when you are in school and living at home that people without this or that should be given this or that.

Then, when you are older and in charge of everything, like making your own money and all your finances, you get a better idea of how those people end being given this or that ... it changes your perspective on how easy it is to just give those people this or that.

That's often when people start shift their mindset some. It isn't that they don't want those people without to not have, it's simply that they realize that the easy answer isn't as simple as they used to think because they understand a few more things than they used to about how those things are typically given.

In essence, you start to think ... Sure, it would be really nice to just be able to give every homeless person a house, but how does that get paid for, and ... why was that homeless person homeless? Will just giving them a house really fix the root of the issue? You know address the cause of the homeslessness because if they are homeless due to drug addiction, mental illness, or something like that or a combination ... then just giving them a house does nothing to solve the root cause and doesn't fix anything. It only makes you feel better because you think you've done something and you don't have to see them and their problem anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: watchitburn

Then how come back in 2010 Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, Fienstien... were all against illegal immigration, and now they encourage and enable it?

because they are what we call "idiots". glad to help.

Oh, well that makes sense then.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That’s because they don’t have Stompers to conduct truck pulls with like we did so they have to invent their own adventures. Unfortunately they are not very inventive due to not having blocky, featureless toys that required imagination to play with them. So they eat Tide Pods.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I see the point you are making but I respectfully disagree.

In your perspective the population is always moving toward a more liberal view, the scale always shifting to the left, and what we view as liberal today will be centrist tomorrow and conservative the next day.

In my perspective liberal is always trying to out-do itself. What is cutting edge liberal today is too tame for tomorrows liberal who must be more over-the-top than today. The conservatives, who deny change simply for the sake of change, stand firm in their resolve to rebuke the new model of liberalism as being too extreme for traditional society. Conservatives don't often feel it is necessary to out-conservative the previous generation where liberals seem to thrive on the idea of being more liberal than their predecessors.

I suggest that the scale is not shifting to the left but rather stretching to the left. This concept explains the seemingly ever widening gulf between the two ideologies. The more liberals try to out do each other the more conservatives hold their ground and scratch their heads trying to figure out why anyone would be so ridiculously extreme.

Ummm...ding...ding...ding...”winner...winner chicken dinner”

It’s evident...just look at what the universities churn out...and champion...

The only caveat I would opine...is that this continuous raising of the leftist playbook bar...is agenda driven...it’s all being pushed by some very old and decrepit money funneler’s...

It’s the “young skulls full of mush” that eat this crap up...they like it...just look at all the you tube stupid people fail vids...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Using Interracial marriage as a example is stupid .
52 now - when I was young I did not care now I am old I still do not care .
Why the heck should I care if a black person marry a white person and got news for you all through out history only extremists who ever did care .

Go back 200 years In the Us there were many many Indian - white couples and most were not forced .
go back to the south in the slave days and quite a few owners ended up with black wife's and mixed kids .
Also this was both sex Not just men .

most Humans love verity when it comes to sex ( i know I do did ) just the idea of being with someone out side your culture is enough for many . I am white and have seen a black women or two I though man what a babe . I have seen Egyptian women and really wish I could walk with one lol .
And Japanese women are OFF the chain no reservations at all .

Stupid marriage is not conseriv or lib . As for lib or conseriv being ether is being a extremists .
teh wolrd is not black and white much as many would like it to be .And solutions are not cut and dried

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

*you're

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sounds like your typical liberal post,the hippies in the 70's are now the big corp[orate owners,movers shakers,those that grew up in that era saw what happened and see it now,young these days go by what free things they get,so it's no wonder no one has pride,you learn to appreciate something you worked hard for,now it's what you can get for free,your post sounds like an old Democrat,trying to present some form of semblence,not working

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Probably because boarders mean less and less as civilization advances. Technology makes travel easier and cheaper. So humans wanna go more places..

So immigration will become more and more commonplace and what now is considered being “liberal” on immigration. Will be the conservative position and the future liberals will not want to deal with the paperwork of strict boarders when it takes 45min to get from France to Canada.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I always heard it with "brain" in lieu of "head."

But in any case, you've seem to have missed the point about that saying: The point is that when one is young, the propensity is to make decisions with your emotions because you haven't yet experienced the world enough and gained enough knowledge and wisdom to make decisions that go beyond the superficial (hell, the human brain doesn't even reach full maturity until around age 25).

As you age, you generally gain said knowledge and wisdom, and therefore make more appropriate decisions that can often set aside "the feels" as it is necessary.

But in my world, neither liberalism nor conservatism have it correct, and the ability to discard the dogma of these belief systems and actually think for one's self should be the true goal. Most people don't attain that because most people are drowning in apathy over the two-party system, and they see a letter next to a name on a ballot and check whatever letter with which they assume that they agree, no matter how much that letter has changed in its beliefs and actions over time (unbeknownst to them...see the apathy comment).

It's a catchy saying, and one to which I used to subscribe (for the most part), but then I REALLY started looking at the big picture, realized that both ideologies are taking us down the same dangerous road (to less freedoms and liberties, coupled with ever-narrowing rights), and found that, while it's hard work, it pays to look at the big picture, research things, and then think for one's self, regardless as to whether or not the political flavor of the moment agrees.

So, basically, liberals are The Scarecrow, conservatives are The Tin Man, and I'm arguing that The Cowardly Lion is that to which one should aspire to be; have some courage, people, and realize that there's more out there that just two political ideologies--and that you have the ability to think for yourself.

edit on 24-1-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

They are different...

One side wants to progress faster and one side wants to retain the traditions of the past.

Sure, you have people who fake beliefs and get paid off, but imho saying both are the same is a cop out.

It means someone is unwilling to decide what they think about issues.

How do you feel about abortion??

It doesn’t matter both sides are the same..

How do you feel about government regulations????

It doesn’t matter they are all the same..

Not so much

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So party platforms change, but people don't?

I was way more conservative in my younger years and have become way more liberal as i grow older. As i experienced life, I recognized the challenges the general population endures trying to simply put food on the table, despite trying hard, and that doesn't even begin to touch on making it to financially secure, etc. The system is set up where it will always be a minority of people who do become financially secure. That has led to my liberal views that we need to help take care of each other. The deck is stacked against almost all of us.

edit on 24-1-2018 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I agree with your OP.

Where I'm from in the south, it's almost as if you get to see things change like this in real time. I still know a lot of people that frown on interracial marriage, but not as many as when I was young. Hell, when I was a kid, you'd face getting beaten, being chased home from the bus stop and being ostracized from everyone else if you dared to date someone of a different color.

Now though, it isn't that big of a deal. Or if it is people just keep their mouth shut about it. The south has always had a weird juxtaposition of the old ways and the new.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I understand that is the normal interpretation and inference. I am just saying it is wrong and the real reason is that society has shifted around them..

I am saying that people’s base belief systems barely change, but society advances past them.

I think interracial marriage is the perfect example.. what was left, becomes moderate and then ends up conservative as younger generations disagree with the old interpretation.

edit on 24-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Same here ..

I’m in Memphis now but grew up in central MS. You?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

More that people don’t change as much as party platforms do ON AVERAGE.

There are always exceptions, but I think interracial marriage is a perfect microcosm.

I’m not sure the average persons opinion changed much, but their kids and their kids private parts had different priorities. Lol

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

And the fact that the previous generations worked harder means that you get indoor plumbing “for free..”, or get roads and airplane technology “for free”.

Every generation stands on the shoulders of those that came before them, and every generation decides what right and wrong means for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
When you're young and somewhat naive to the world and people you are liberal. You don't understand how their could possibly be homeless people. You don't understand why someone could make so much more money than someone else.

Then you grow up and gain real world experience and understand many people want to be homeless or have mental issues. It can't be solved by building everyone a house. You have job experience and see how some people slack off and do as little as possible and then bitch about those getting promotions or the corner office boss who makes six figures but works 90 hours a week.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

BWAHAHAHA

BETTER PEOPLE THAN YOU HAVE ATTENDED TO GET ME TO PROOF READ! Lol

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Then why does societies view of those problems shift as a whole???

Looking at it that way assumes there are concrete opinions of right and wrong that do not change..

If that were true what constitutes a liberal or conservative wouldn’t change. They would stay the same whole people just swapped between two set in stone ideologies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join