It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When your young your liberal and when your old your conservative , explained.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Man, I think I may have kinda stumbled onto a historical truth that is so obvious, but yet I have never heard anyone communicate it quite like this..

I doubt seriously it is a brand new thought, but I swear I don’t think I have ever heard it put this way..

Everyone knows the old saying that,

“If your not a liberal when your young, you don’t have a heart, but if your not a conservative when your old, you don’t have a head.”

Well I think the real truth of that statement is obvious..

Due to societal changes, what is liberal when they are young , IS conservative when they are old..

For example..

If you thought minorities deserved equal treatment but interracial marriage should be illegal back in the 1950s. You were a liberal, but if you believe minorities deserve equal treatment but interracial marage should be illegal today then your a conservative.

It is not that we change as we Age...

It is that society changes around us and what we used to think was left wing, becomes what is moderate. Which becomes what is conservative..

It is just a macro version of the fact every generation glorifies those who preceded them, and looks down on those that come after..

It is the same reason we always think the newer generation’s music sucks..

Or that we always think the next generation is lazy and entiltled..

To me this has kinda been an epiphany, but one that is so obvious it just slaps you in the face..

There ain’t no stopping progress and what is progress when we are young, becomes an old hat when your old. Then the next generations progress always appears to be people going too far..

If you were left pre civil war you wanted abolution and if you were right wing you wanted slavery to continue.

The next generation the conservatives wanted abolution but were anti sufferage and the left wanted sufferage.

The next generation the conservatives were ok with sufferage , and the left wanted intergration.

Then the right was ok with intergration , but the left wanted interracial marriage to be ok..

Wash rinse repeat...

Over and over again. What was the liberal position, becomes moderate, which becomes conservative.

edit on 24-1-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

It's definitely a valid observation - and to add to it, the rise of the legalization of MJ in America is a good example of this generational collective mindset which drives social evolution and sustains culture(s).

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I can’t believe I have never heard it before...

It seems so basic.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Not everyone changes their political views as they age.

Some do, some don't.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Just to follow up: Does this mean that young conservatives become further right wing or remain in the same spot?

To me it seems like you're saying it's 2 connected dots on a ruler. As one moves the the other moves even further right.

Is that the point you're driving at? (because it's early and I want to be clear lol)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Then how come back in 2010 Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, Fienstien... were all against illegal immigration, and now they encourage and enable it?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
About an hour ago, the antidiluvian just said this in another thread.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Then how come back in 2010 Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, Fienstien... were all against illegal immigration, and now they encourage and enable it?

because they are what we call "idiots". glad to help.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

You were a liberal, but if you believe minorities deserve equal treatment but interracial marage should be illegal today then your a conservative.

Do gun owners deserve equal treatment ?

What a load of horsesnip.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

But what is considered liberal when your young, is considered the conservative position when your old..

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I see the point you are making but I respectfully disagree.

In your perspective the population is always moving toward a more liberal view, the scale always shifting to the left, and what we view as liberal today will be centrist tomorrow and conservative the next day.

In my perspective liberal is always trying to out-do itself. What is cutting edge liberal today is too tame for tomorrows liberal who must be more over-the-top than today. The conservatives, who deny change simply for the sake of change, stand firm in their resolve to rebuke the new model of liberalism as being too extreme for traditional society. Conservatives don't often feel it is necessary to out-conservative the previous generation where liberals seem to thrive on the idea of being more liberal than their predecessors.

I suggest that the scale is not shifting to the left but rather stretching to the left. This concept explains the seemingly ever widening gulf between the two ideologies. The more liberals try to out do each other the more conservatives hold their ground and scratch their heads trying to figure out why anyone would be so ridiculously extreme.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I don't know any conservatives that think interracial marriage should be illegal.

I also don't think people fit in neet little boxes.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Eshel

They remain the same..

Society becomes farther left around them. Which makes them look farther right, when they haven’t changed.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

"If you thought minorities deserved equal treatment but interracial marriage should be illegal back in the 1950s. You were a liberal, but if you believe minorities deserve equal treatment but interracial marage should be illegal today then your a conservative. "

... I think this always made you kind of a racist.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Man, I think I may have kinda stumbled onto a historical truth that is so obvious, but yet I have never heard anyone communicate it quite like this..

I doubt seriously it is a brand new thought, but I swear I don’t think I have ever heard it put this way..

Everyone knows the old saying that,

“If your not a liberal when your young, you don’t have a heart, but if your not a conservative when your old, you don’t have a head.”

Well I think the real truth of that statement is obvious..

Due to societal changes, what is liberal when they are young , IS conservative when they are old..

For example..

If you thought minorities deserved equal treatment but interracial marriage should be illegal back in the 1950s. You were a liberal, but if you believe minorities deserve equal treatment but interracial marage should be illegal today then your a conservative.

It is not that we change as we Age...

It is that society changes around us and what we used to think was left wing, becomes what is moderate. Which becomes what is conservative..

It is just a macro version of the fact every generation glorifies those who preceded them, and looks down on those that come after..

It is the same reason we always think the newer generation’s music sucks..

Or that we always think the next generation is lazy and entiltled..

To me this has kinda been an epiphany, but one that is so obvious it just slaps you in the face..

There ain’t no stopping progress and what is progress when we are young, becomes an old hat when your old. Then the next generations progress always appears to be people going too far..

If you were left pre civil war you wanted abolution and if you were right wing you wanted slavery to continue.

The next generation the conservatives wanted abolution but were anti sufferage and the left wanted sufferage.

The next generation the conservatives were ok with sufferage , and the left wanted intergration.

Then the right was ok with intergration , but the left wanted interracial marriage to be ok..

Wash rinse repeat...

Over and over again. What was the liberal position, becomes moderate, which becomes conservative.

you are spot on...if you change the title to how the Hegelian Dialectic works through generations. Even your examples are perfect. So all you have to do is keep redefining words?

So is it that people are maleable? Easily duped? What does "conservative" mean to you? Did it mean the same thing to the people in each of your examples?

Your inclination is that everything always becomes liberal over time, so conservatives of yesteryear are liberal today. Or is it that you are saying it's flip flopping and liberals become conservative? No

It could be change. That for the most part over the last 100 years yhe entire psy-op is change. That's how you destroy cultures. "CHANGE".
All your examples are pointing at a psy-op using thesis-antithesis=synthesis

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I think the left is fracturing into multiple groups with similar ideas, but not all can get behind the new movement the left has been pushing these past years of putting illegal immigrants and minorities above all other politics.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I do, but they are definitely NOT the average..

Just to show how many there are though, 25% Mississippi republicans answered that they thought it should be illegal during the exit polls from Obama’s first election.

But I’m sure that number has continued to fall the last 9 years even farther.

However, there were anti-interracial marriage laws as recently as the 1970s.

Atleast in the south, a huge chunk of the white population consider any white person who has ever dated a black persons is considered ruined.

Down here “once you go black you never go back. “ really reads..

Once you go black you CAN never go back..

Don’t get me wrong I am not saying if you are t attracted to other races, your a bigot.

However, if you wouldn’t date someone you were attracted to because they previously did, is kinda the definition of racism.

There is no box with this..

Every couple of generations society changes..

Meaning what was left , becomes what is moderate, becomes what people are trying to conserve.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
*you're

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The kids doing the Tide Pod Challenge today will be the ones determining the fate of our country tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

“If your not a liberal when your young, you don’t have a heart, but if your not a conservative when your old, you don’t have a head

And if you still believe in the DNC or the GOP being different by the time your in your late 30's you never grew a brain in that head

edit on 12131America/ChicagoWed, 24 Jan 2018 08:12:37 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join