It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gyro

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

love gyros!!! thanks bud

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Yup, Wisconsinite here.
Thanks for the offer, I'm rarely up that far North, but man, it is gorgeous up there, talk about getting away from it all, feels like a different country! People have no clue how gorgeous Wisconsin is, I think it is one of the best kept secrets in America!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

We like to be called Wisconsinites
But yes, the people here are the most self sufficient I've ever met. In my area we do a lot of bartering. My friend spent a little too much on Xmas so she got her bow and arrow out and got a deer from her backyard. That always make me laugh, but kinds shows the spirit of the area.

People think that Idaho/Oregon has the best potatoes, they have never tasted home farmed Wisconsin Potatoes, I can't even describe it. They are like the sweetest most buttery potatoes you've ever tasted, perfect to go with those Jaaiirooose!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

They may have been using mutton, not lamb. They tend to butcher lamb very early in the US because then the flavor isn't as strong.

My grandfather used to raise sheep, and he let his lambs grow for an extra period of time over the usual before they got butchered, so I am used to a stronger taste in my lamb. Grew up with it, but many aren't, and the older the animal, the stronger that flavor gets.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

You might find some great kin in Alaskan natives, so much hardiness, sufficiency, innovation and creativity there as well!

PS Soooo jealous about the potatoes... I'd love to try some

I grow potatoes here in my garden, and they're good! But I definitely woudn't say great buttery perfection

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You are so right, Alaskans are a hardy folk and have that same life skills and village camaraderie that Wisconsinites do!

More about those potatoes!
“Wisconsin offers the most varieties of potatoes in the United States,” says Houlihan. “Because of our location, we offer overnight delivery to virtually any market east of the Mississippi River.”
A cool northern climate, a rapid spring warm-up and sandy soil make Wisconsin an ideal place to grow a wide variety of potatoes, including Russets, Whites, Reds, Yellows, as well as specialty potatoes. Production is centered in central Wisconsin’s central sands region.
www.producebusiness.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

We do have awesome taters here. And to make them even better, plant them in a layer of hay. Lay your hay down in your row, put your starter pieces on the hay, then cover them with another layer of hay. Then cover with your soil. About a 1" layers of loose hay top and bottom. Your taters will be way cleaner when you harvest.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I'm coming to your house, lol.

I've never made a homemade gyro (YEAR-oh), but immensely enjoy gyros. Most of the gyros I've had had sliced lamb instead of ground, though. It just seems to make more sense.

I love making lamb burgers, though, and usually mix in some ground beef (2:1 ratio of lamb to beef of thereabouts). The tzatziki I make to put on it is really simple, just plain greek yogurt, a little lemon zest, juice of half a lemon, some dried dill, sometimes a little Italian 3-herb seasoning. That's it. Goes well on the burger along with a buttery toasted Kaiser roll spread with hummus and a sliced of sauteed red onion, which I actually had this past weekend.

That said, lamb is best eaten medium rare to medium, and no more! You might want to check your oven temperature to see if it's correct. Mine actually reads close to 30 degrees off the set temp, which can throw recipes off.

I don't do food pics but trust they resembled the real deal!

Food pics. Fooooooooood piiiiiiiiiiics.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I'm coming to your house, lol.

Any time, lol, come on over!

The tzatziki you mentioned sounds really good- thanks for an alternate recipe. I'll try it next time. I especially love dill and look forward to not having to grate cucumber!
I thnk my oven usually does well (not on broil though) BUT I really need a meat thermometer. That would have saved me plenty of grief yesterday. Lesson learned.

Have a good one!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Gyros, greek pronunciation: ˈʝiros, in english maybe geeroz, jeeroz, yeeroz?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I forgot one ingredient for the tzatziki.

I remembered that, in addition to the lemon juice, I used the pulp of that half lemon as a substitute for the zest.

I definitely use a digital meat thermometer when cooked a large piece of meat in the oven. The key is to get it almost where you want it, then take it out and let it rest to finish cooking to perfection. I use it with rack of lamb and prime rib, mostly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join