It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami alert for US west coast after 8.2-magnitude earthquake off Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Tsunami alert for US west coast after 8.2-magnitude earthquake off Alaska

Tsunami warnings, watches from Alaska to Mexican border following Alaska earthquake - live updates

Deep sea earthquake off of Canadian coast near Alaska. News outlets are reporting it as 7.2 - 8.2 magnitude. To my west coast friends who are just waking up, if you live on the coast be prepared.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

That's serious stuff

A depth of 6.2 mile depth is actually really close to the surface. Wishing everyone well and hopefully nothing comes of it.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

My phone woke me at 0330 this morning with the alert.

I'm on some sort of ERT, which means (in the advent of a tsunami) I get a big sponge and a map.

But by the time I made a few calls, the watch was canceled.

But now I'm awake.

Glad nothing came from it.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Glad you, and my other Oregonian friends dodged the bullet. Since youre awake, may I suggest a "Spanish Coffee?"

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I don't do coffee, more of a "hot tea" guy.

But yeah, I'm glad it was nothing. Stuff almost got real.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

ATS really has changed over polticis, we had a very big EQ, at a low depth and with a tsunami warning attached to it and no one seems interested... I really wish the resident EQ experts returned back to ATS...

I live in Seattle, I'm not sure if my phone had a alert go off (apparently I slept through it).. Im glad nothing horrible happened from this massive EQ today.. I also hope this isn't a precursor of things to come with the area "waking up"..

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My phone woke me at 0330 this morning with the alert.

I'm on some sort of ERT, which means (in the advent of a tsunami) I get a big sponge and a map.

But by the time I made a few calls, the watch was canceled.

But now I'm awake.

Glad nothing came from it.

Start going out to the bar till three in the morning, then those 3:30 calls won't wake you. You'll either be still up or passed out and won't hear them.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Yeah, me too. I used to come to this thread every time the earth moved, because I got better updates and more accurate information here. Now I'm stuck relying on the MSM...and that's just woefully inadequate.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537
The only reason I knew is I got the alert on the quake and I’ll akways check for tsunami warnings.

We don’t have the text or whatever it is warning system in place yet here in Vancouver BC.
Yet there was this woman- expert on the local Vancouver news saying “if you didn’t get woken up by this alert last night you need to check your settings”.
There is one?
There isn’t?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

ATS really has changed over polticis, we had a very big EQ, at a low depth and with a tsunami warning attached to it and no one seems interested... I really wish the resident EQ experts returned back to ATS...

I live in Seattle, I'm not sure if my phone had a alert go off (apparently I slept through it).. Im glad nothing horrible happened from this massive EQ today.. I also hope this isn't a precursor of things to come with the area "waking up"..

When i was stationed in Adak Alaska, we use to have EQ from 6 - 7 range all the time and each time we would get warnings of Tsunami. So you pretty much get use to it happening all the time and most the times it never that big of deal. Move up off the cost to higher ground. So at that size it would be more of a blip on the monitor of most people.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Jansy
ATS was the best place to come for what’s going on around the ring of fire.

I’ll usually post threads on big quakes like this (wasn’t able to in this one) but I’m not able to discuss what they might mean. Needs the input from this better qualified.

We need more info on what’s going on. I’m relying on my apps.

I can only say one app has mentioned this one in Kodiak might affect the cascadia zone. Whether or not that is valid I don’t know. I’d like to know since it’s where I live. This same app today is saying there’s a blot echo near Vancouver but they haven’t put the map up yet.

edit on 23-1-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

top topics

join