It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.2 Earthquake Shakes Gulf of Alaska

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
a reply to: Soloprotocol
So going off topic slightly ... if there was an incoming missile would anyone be manning the alert system why the US gov was shut down? Interesting

The military never shuts down. Payments might, but not the operations of the military.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune
I have been watching Dutch for a couple months now , He doesn't predict , he FORECASTS with data , like the weather , it's really amazing and at the same time it's common sense , lol.
pressure transfers and it does so along the plate boundaries , So according to him and that process , The West Coast of North America is next for a bigger one , his process is so interesting and an aha moment once you watch several .
He's on Youtube , just search Dutchsinse , he's also on Facebook , and all the major Social Media sites.
DEFINITELY worth some browsing !!!
Unfortunately , the "professionals" are badmouthing him , he needs support from the general public if he ever wants to be respected , and he should be .
See for yourself !

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
WELL, just checking back in to find out what the local Alaskans had to say, been a good read and one of the best things about ats, first account real news via members.

Glad it was as high on the Richter scale as it was and yet no reported casualties that I know of. Someone on here said it right when they said Alaska dodged the bullet this time.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa
The Big Island had a tsunami warning. I don’t have a link but I do have a text message from a friend.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdChillin

They had a tsunami watch for Hawaii but it was cancelled after a couple hours. It's SOP after a quake that size to issue one, and then watch the buoys to see what's going on.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

with you on that. I hope everyone is safe.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Tsunami recorded in Alaska of 6 inches to 0.8 feet (Kodiak). Looks like the severity was low enough to not cause a true tsunami alert. USGS started deploying more buoys after Japan just for this reason... to give warning. Looks like the system works!

Were the buoys that jumped even 6 feet wrong too? There was one in particular that had me worried for people in the area because it jumped 11 m = 33feet, but thankfully that one seemed to be wrong. However, other buoys had jumped 1 m to about 2 m, where those buoys wrong too then?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Link

OBSERVATIONS OF TSUNAMI ACTIVITY - UPDATED
------------------------------------------
* Observed max tsunami height is the highest recorded water level
above the tide level up to the time of this message.

TIME OBSERVED MAX
SITE OF MEASUREMENT TSUNAMI HEIGHT
---------------------------- ---------------- --------------
Kodiak Alaska 0329 PST Jan 23 0.6ft
Seward Alaska 0331 PST Jan 23 0.4ft
Old Harbor Alaska 0338 PST Jan 23 0.7ft
Sitka Alaska 0318 PST Jan 23 0.4ft
Yakutat Alaska 0335 PST Jan 23 0.5ft
Langara BC 0330 PST Jan 23 0.4ft

Looks like that was the final alert numbers. As I understand it, it would have had to be a different kind of quake to cause a large one and the one that did was up near Valdez in 1964.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Cool, thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Yes,a different type, more on that;

The Alaska earthquake was a type that usually produces less vertical motion, which means less chance for waves to build for a tsunami. That's according to Paul Earle, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. He says the earthquake was within the Pacific plate and was a so-called "strike-slip earthquake."

Source

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
* NM, the post just above mine answered my question.
edit on 25-1-2018 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Yeah, the 1964 quake was a megathrust quake.

On March 28, 1964, at 5:36 p.m. AST (3:36 a.m. UTC), a fault between the Pacific and North American plates ruptured near College Fjord in Prince William Sound. The epicenter of the earthquake was 12.4 mi (20 km) north of Prince William Sound, 78 miles (125 km) east of Anchorage and 40 miles (64 km) west of Valdez. The focus occurred at a depth of approximately 15.5 mi (25 km). Ocean floor shifts created large tsunamis (up to 220 feet (67 m) in height), which resulted in many of the deaths and much of the property damage.[5] Large rockslides were also caused, resulting in great property damage. Vertical displacement of up to 38 feet (11.5 m) occurred, affecting an area of 100,000 miles² (250,000 km²) within Alaska.

The Alaska earthquake was a subduction zone (megathrust) earthquake, caused by an oceanic plate sinking under a continental plate. The fault responsible was the Aleutian Megathrust, a reverse fault caused by a compressional force. This caused much of the uneven ground which is the result of ground shifted to the opposite elevation.

en.wikipedia.org...

Every once and a while I will surf photos of that quake just so I stay aware of what could/will happen again.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
The next Super Moon, plus an eclipse, comes our way, here in the Western U.S.A., on Tuesday Morning, in the wee hours. This is the other shoe which I've been posting on, in this forum's Earthquakes threads. I think we're in for a one, two, punch, on this month's last day. This month's Blue Moon is merely a calendar oddity.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

This probably didn't make the National News, this morning, but there was a 4.+ quake near Soda Springs, Idaho. About 120 miles North of Salt Lake City, and they felt it there too. This NW to SE trend, from the Gulf of Alaska, is awfully close to the St. Helelns, to SLC tracks which raised fault scarps near SLC, on May 18th, 1980. That one got lost in the shuffle, also.

Sorry to just bump my earlier post, but I only heard about it, mid morning, today. And now its' past the edit windows.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Jan. 26, at 12:10 PM AK time (local)

M4.5, 31 miles from Butte, AK.

It is north of Anchorage, past both Eagle River and Peter's Creek, but before you get to Palmer. If you drive the Old Richardson Highway, you drive around Butte.

Felt it here in Anchorage! It was a slow roller and I only noticed it for about 10 seconds or so.

More movement around the Ring of Fire.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Didn't feel it at all in Midtown.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That is where I am.

People at the other end of the office did not feel anything either. The initial report said Sutton but google gave me back Butte. Go figure.

My friend slept through the M7.9, I woke up then rolled over and went back to sleep, some people I work with (from another country), started to freak out until they were told the tsunami warning was not for Anchorage! (I just found that out this morning! Made my day!)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ujustneverknow
a reply to: dianajune
I have been watching Dutch for a couple months now , He doesn't predict , he FORECASTS with data , like the weather , it's really amazing and at the same time it's common sense , lol.
pressure transfers and it does so along the plate boundaries , So according to him and that process , The West Coast of North America is next for a bigger one , his process is so interesting and an aha moment once you watch several .
He's on Youtube , just search Dutchsinse , he's also on Facebook , and all the major Social Media sites.
DEFINITELY worth some browsing !!!
Unfortunately , the "professionals" are badmouthing him , he needs support from the general public if he ever wants to be respected , and he should be .
See for yourself !

I watched some of his videos and his forecasts seem spot-on. I watched one from yesterday, I think, in which he said that the East Coast could get a decent-sized quake in the next few days (part of the aftermath of the one in Alaska).

I noticed that the Eastern portion of the Ring of Fire has been very quiet. More so than usual. Makes me wonder what the other side has in store for us.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The only one showing on the USGS map (blue dot) is one 36km E of Sutton-Alpine, Alaska which was a 4.3 and far enough away to not feel it in Anchorage. I see that on top of a Google search for "earthquake reports, but when you click on the link you get the one I mentioned. I think that's a mistake and its not near Butte.

That's the only one at that time. Don't know why on that Google thing they show it 31 miles from Butte? I go to a place in that area to target shoot near an old mine and it's a bit further than that.

Felt nothing here at all. I see lots of aftershocks from the 7.9
edit on 1/26/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The region in the Gulf from OP is still rocking!

4.3M at 3:55 AM, Feb. 22, 2018

Check out the Alaska Earthquake Center map

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join