It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.2 Earthquake Shakes Gulf of Alaska

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm at work in a hotel on the Washington coast. My wife sent me a text that the weather alert we have went off. I wasn't able to find anything on it. This thread was keeping me up to date more than anything else. Thanks to ATS for being on top of things. The alert is now called off. God bless you for looking out for all of us.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
An earthquake has been reported approximately 175 miles southeast of Kodiak, Alaska in the Gulf of Alaska. The magnitude has been revised to 7.9 after initially being reported at 8.2. As many as nine aftershocks have been reported so far ranging from magnitude 3.1 to 5.3. All tsunami warnings and watches have been canceled. A tsunami advisory remains in place for parts of southern Alaska from Hinchinbrook Entrance to Chignik Bay. A minor tsunami with waves measuring .6 feet high was observed in Kodiak, AK. There have been no reports of injuries, major structural damage, or flooding. Residents are advised to continue using caution and follow instructions from local authorities. Less

Last updated on January 23, 2018 at 11:27pm
This information is provided by NC4, an independent global crisis reporting agency.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yup, looks like most of the warnings have all been downgraded to an "advisory".

Call me crazy, but I think it's too early for them to be cancelling the warnings and people to be going back to their homes just yet... not with all the aftershocks that keep hitting ?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Looks like the bullet was dodged. Time to go back to bed.

Good thing...this could have been very very bad.

You're not joking, because that area has produced the largest mega-tsunami ever recorded at over 1700 ft high. It was in the 50's and that area wasn't populated, however there are live accounts of people that experienced it.

World's Biggest Tsunami: The largest recorded tsunami with a wave 1720 feet tall in Lituya Bay, Alaska.

en.wikipedia.org...

To give everyone perspective on this the world trade center is about the same height as the mega-tsunami in Alaska 1958.

edit on 23-1-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

The height of the tsunami could be up to 37 feet. Buoys have been triggered even thousands of miles away from the epicenter of the quake.

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

All the buoys flashing were triggered, some of the buoys jumped up to 32-37 feet.

For example this one

It jumped 11 meters. 3 feet per meter that's 33 feet.

Other buoys jumped also but much less, some jumped only 6 feet.

edit on 23-1-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Right? And what of the receding waters? That is a biggie...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

They said on msm that because it was only one bouy, it could have been a glitch.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Mayon is erupting so far like it normally does. They worry it may up the scale, but so far, it is not behaving outside it's normal boundaries.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

They said on msm that because it was only one bouy, it could have been a glitch.

I hope they are right, but the buoy that jumped 11 meters is the one closest to the epicenter. What this means is that the tsunami will reach those other buoys hours from now. this was a major earthquake that affected buoys thousands of miles away, but the main tsunami has not reached any of the other buoys yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

What about the volcano in the Philippines. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

That's exactly what I thought when I heard the news.

The earth rings like a bell when these thing happen, especially in the ring of fire so there could be another one coming, perhaps towards the western south American coast, almost every time a big quake hits, another one follows somewhere else in the Pacific, New Zealand got hit after major quakes elsewhere in the R.O.F, the 2011 earthquake in Japan for example, and there are reports of a 6.2 in the Philippines after the Alaskan one.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Does say tsunami warnings are in place on the news or has that died down now? It may be old news.

I mentioned on another thread around a month ago that I had visions of a quake and volcano going at the same but hope all is well and not a huge Tsunami will strike.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am not sure if any of you remember, but not that long ago, back in 2017, geologists were saying that 2018 was going to bring many major earthquakes.

Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows

So far it seems that prediction was right.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: antar

Right? And what of the receding waters? That is a biggie...

Yup, the receding water is what had me sit up and pay attention, that doesn't happen very often and it was estimated at over a foot drop in water levels. So where did it all go ?

That's what has me concerned that they're calling this one way too prematurely.

But I'm no expert, so I could be off my rocker about all this....

That being said, it just doesn't feel right to me though.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Back into the big crack...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar

Back into the big crack...

wont be so much of a crack as a mound.. when the first quake happens, it's a sign the pressure of the two plates is immense enough to push one under the other, and the other above the one. So more quakes is the result of less resistance to the pressure, leaving it wide open for more (as we've seen) and potentially bigger quakes.

Some Mountains are formed this way.

That water will come back, and it won't say "Heyyy Lucy, I'm home!" it will bring all it's mates and say "Sorry luv, been at the pub, make us lot sammiches would ya..." and not care much about making a mess about the place.

I am not seeing this as terrible though, I get the feeling it's not. That is yet to come. and it will.

edit on 23-1-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

That being said, it just doesn't feel right to me though.

What is concerning is not just the magnitude, but the depth of the quake at 6.2 miles deep. That's fairly close to the surface, so couple that depth with the disappearing water, and we have a serious issue.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

The plate boundary around the ROF usually has several places that are near critical.
Maybe the Laguna Salada Fault will let go and that will change the debate over Trumps wall?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Interest to off-world/time travelers?

www.nuforc.org...
www.nuforc.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
To all on the west coast, "thanks for all the fish"! If I ask you to take me seriously will you?
I am telling all of you now to leave while you can please & thank you! If you do not heed this warning you will perish.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

I am telling all of you now to leave while you can please & thank you! If you do not heed this warning you will perish.

You will probably have more luck on a street corner holding up a sign or wearing a sign.

If I ask you to take me seriously will you?

NO

like I said, you may have one person take you seriously if you hold a sign up on a street corner.

However, that person most likely will claim to be Jesus sent here from the future and have very dilated eyes.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join