It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Slaps Tariffs on Solar Panels in Major Blow to Renewable Energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Another strike against the renewables industry by the administration. Why I ask?

In the biggest blow he’s dealt to the renewable energy industry yet, President Donald Trump decided on Monday to slap tariffs on imported solar panels.

The U.S. will impose duties of as much as 30 percent on solar equipment made abroad, a move that threatens to handicap a $28 billion industry that relies on parts made abroad for 80 percent of its supply. Just the mere threat of tariffs has shaken solar developers in recent months, with some hoarding panels and others stalling projects in anticipation of higher costs. The Solar Energy Industries Association has projected tens of thousands of job losses in a sector that employed 260,000.

time.com...

It's a slap in the face to the renewal energies industry that's for sure. There's jobs to be lost as well. Trump isn't a fan of renewables which I'm fine with..... "it's like your opinion man" He may personally feel they're useless. That being said, actively trying to tax the industry to death or hinder it's growth is nothing short of criminal. Late last year the administration also proposed to roll back tax incentives for the renewables industry (all the while cutting taxes for fossil and non-renewables). By the way, the government subsidizes billions for oil, coal and other none-renewables.

What's the issue here? The way I see it, having say a solar panel on your house isn't just about the environment... it isn't purely political in fact it's not for many who buy into it. A family down the road from me recently had em' installed for the sake of savings longterm. They are anything but political. To them it's purely cost savings and being self sustainable. I joked with them about me using them when the apocolypse hits.

Seriously what is up with this administration??
edit on 23-1-2018 by Southern Guardian because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The tariff is on imported solar panels. If you do not want to pay the tariff, buy panels made in the USA.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

President Trump Slaps Tariffs on Solar Panels in Major Blow to Renewable Energy

Why is that a major blow ?
What a Liberal inane statement
Lets build em here in the US of A instead of getting cheap made foreign crap
Sounds like you need a nice long vacation to review the facts of life....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Dangit Trump! Putting Americans out of jobs and spitting in the face of renewable energy producers!!
I just can't...even.

Oh, wait....there are American renewable energy producers that will benefit? *deep inhale* *long exhale*

www.conserve-energy-future.com...

From your source:

U.S. panel maker First Solar Inc. jumped 9 percent to $75.20 in after-hours trading in New York. The Tempe, Arizona-based manufacturer stands to gain as costs for competing, foreign panels rise. First Solar didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The Solar Energy Industries Association also didn’t immediately respond.

Also, posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-1-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Apparently its on BIG items, including washing machines, which why cant we at least make our own bigly stuff?

The renewables field in general shouldn't be discouraged, of course.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

The tariff is on imported solar panels. If you do not want to pay the tariff, buy panels made in the USA.

You didn't bother reading the OP did you?

These tariffs are only targeting the importation of solar panels and other renewals. Importations for non-renewables? fossil fuels? They're not being targeted Ameilia.

Seriously, try and look into this objectively for once.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
You didn't bother reading the OP did you?

These tariffs are only targeting the importation of solar panels and other renewals.

You missed the other thread earlier:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not just solar panels.

But yeah if we gonna subsidized (corporate welfare) oil, then so should the rest of the energy's...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

Thank-you for pointing out that critical distinction!

Buy American

AMERICA FIRST!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Oh, wait....there are American renewable energy producers that will benefit?

Just the mere threat of tariffs has shaken solar developers in recent months, with some hoarding panels and others stalling projects in anticipation of higher costs. The Solar Energy Industries Association has projected tens of thousands of job losses in a sector that employed 260,000.

time.com...

It's evidently got little to nothing to do with protecting domestic solar producers considering he's already rolled back tax incentives for them as well:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Solar is largely subsidized by the US government.

US made solar panels are becoming exceedingly cheaper, in many situations being cost comparative to buy US made. The knock-off solar panels flow from the east though, so this tariff will ensure quality product.

Why would you be against restoring quality manufacturing in the US?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I wonder why the Time article doesn't match the SEIA's claim:

The decision effectively will cause the loss of roughly 23,000 American jobs this year, including many in manufacturing, and it will result in the delay or cancellation of billions of dollars in solar investments.

www.seia.org...

Curious. Regardless, I'm sure this has much to do with government spending on renewable energy.
en.wikipedia.org...

If this is a thriving sector, why does it need more government funds? (There sure stands a strong argument to apply this argument across MANY sectors should you choose.)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to the Existing thread.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join