It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slaps steep tariffs on imported washers, solar panels

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well we are slapping 20%-50% tariffs on Washing machines, and 30% on solar cells after 2.5 gigawatts quota is reached. Thats not all though, steel and aluminum imports may soon be targeted as well. This will give the domestic production capacity an opportunity tog row and compete with the subsidized Asian exports that are frequently dumped onto the market.

WASHINGTON/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump slapped steep tariffs on imported washing machines and solar panels on Monday, marking his first moves to erect trade restrictions under seldom-used trade laws that allow unilateral actions.

The decisions in the two “Section 201” safeguard cases followed findings by the U.S. International Trade Commission that both imported products “are a substantial cause of serious injury to domestic manufacturers,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement.

Trump will impose a 20 percent tariff on the first 1.2 million imported large residential washers in the first year, and a 50 percent tariff on machines above that number. The tariffs decline to 16 percent and 40 percent respectively in the third year.

A 30 percent tariff will be imposed on imported solar cells and modules in the first year, with the tariffs declining to 15 percent by the fourth year. The tariff allows 2.5 gigawatts of unassembled solar cells to be imported tariff-free in each year.

Keep them coming!
edit on Mon Jan 22 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Very good.

Now we know how Trump will make Mexico pay for the wall.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Washers, good. Want to sell'em here make'em here. I would also like to see the same for fridges/stoves. Lets not forget about the internals to these machines, that is a huge boost if made here too.

Steel and alum, good.

I will wait to see what the resulting actions by other countries will be. These thing do not happen in a vacuum.

edit on 22-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Is there a Trump Solar Panel or a Trump Washer?

No, didn't think so.

Maybe he should've started with gold-plated light fixtures and plaid socks.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
well im not sure who buys solar panels from overseas considering the pricing is practically the same right now except canadian or american made come with a far better warranty then anything from overseas unless its europe who also have very nice panels.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I dunno man, I think I'd still prefer foreign-made over US despite the tariff-supplied mark-up. Granted a few of Maytag's models are US-made, my pair is actually not, and has only needed minor maintenance from my own hands over the years. The constant breakdowns I hear from my "Buy Americaaaan!" friends who DID are just pathetic. Not the buyers, but the American-made "quality". US-made GE in particular comes across as absolute trash, many I know are firmly in the "Never again" camp there. I'd....rather not. Bigger headache than it's worth just being on the outside looking in.

edit on 1/22/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
well im not sure who buys solar panels from overseas considering the pricing is practically the same right now except canadian or american made come with a far better warranty then anything from overseas unless its europe who also have very nice panels.

Not any more. The U.S.'s are cheaper now.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Yep its true that China subsidizes, the Communist postal system, is good. I bought a E bike motor from Hong Kong, free postage ...by air it came to my door within a week. I always look for stuff from the USA, but the postage is as expensive as the cost of the goods. So if Trump puts levies on Chinas goods, they will just make them cheaper, and any factory making them in the USA will be fully automatic, and wont help the average person one iota.
We are in a post industrial society, which means a lot of people will not be participating in the Capitalist society.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Need to participate in de-centralized manufacturing. Support 3d printing and technology. Avoid robot taxes for universal basic incomes because that will solidify corporate control of robotics and disruptive technologies.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Feel good Tariffs.
For the common man (consumer) this sounds so cool. But as a person who lives outside the States and knows a bit about Tariffs, well, they change with new administrations.
To protect jobs, a country "must" ban what that country can make themselves. It was that way in the past, but since the politicians (crooked) convinced the media that "Free Trade" is best for the nation involved, well, just look at the homeless in America and here in Japan.
It was all a game of politicians being bought off by corporations to expand one thing "PROFITS" for their shareholders and the foolish shareholders bought into it.
Nations are doomed if they cannot "GROW" or MANUFACTOR their survival means of living.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Yep its true that China subsidizes, the Communist postal system, is good. I bought a E bike motor from Hong Kong, free postage ...by air it came to my door within a week. I always look for stuff from the USA, but the postage is as expensive as the cost of the goods. So if Trump puts levies on Chinas goods, they will just make them cheaper, and any factory making them in the USA will be fully automatic, and wont help the average person one iota.
We are in a post industrial society, which means a lot of people will not be participating in the Capitalist society.

Not so true, the fast food stalls around these factories will be cashing in.

(post by soundguy removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Gotta love moron right wingers celerating the fact that they are now going to be taxed 50% more when they buy a washer. a reply to: worldstarcountry

so are u for cheap labor in horrible conditions under a government that allows such acts to continue? gotta love left wing liberals who cant stand by their own supposed ideals. this is something that gets me, we have everyone up in arms with russia yet u have a plethora of evidence that is out in the open in a variety of industries and lobby groups, who own much of our businesses and yet theres not a peep about what china does in our country. they are the big bad bear today and the #1 threat to the US who have dumped so much money into our political system its not even funny. shoot they own a good amount of the western seaboard alone
edit on 22-1-2018 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

I disagree with your outlook.

The situation we have here took a long time to arrive at. It is going to take a while to get back on the right track and it will be small steps.

To assign a Repub or Dem to any of this is silly. Both the R's and the D's both sold the US worker out. And yes it is that simple.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Is there a Trump Solar Panel or a Trump Washer?

No, didn't think so.

Maybe he should've started with gold-plated light fixtures and plaid socks.

Let me be the first. That comment is just lame.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I dunno man, I think I'd still prefer foreign-made over US despite the tariff-supplied mark-up. Granted a few of Maytag's models are US-made, my pair is actually not, and has only needed minor maintenance from my own hands over the years. The constant breakdowns I hear from my "Buy Americaaaan!" friends who DID are just pathetic. Not the buyers, but the American-made "quality". US-made GE in particular comes across as absolute trash, many I know are firmly in the "Never again" camp there. I'd....rather not. Bigger headache than it's worth just being on the outside looking in.

One of my jobs was working with a Quality Control consultant at Nissan. He had a hell of a job, because they refused to cut corners or lower quality.

I buy American when I can, if it makes sense. It does not always make sense.

edit on 22-1-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There ought to be a Tariff on illegal immigrants too.

Make the Countries of Origin pay it.

And make them pay for the Deportations costs too.

It's the failed foreign governments that cause 99% of the problems.

#trumplistening

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Nyiah

One of my jobs was working with a Quality Control consultant at Nissan. He had a hell of a job, because they refused to cut corners or lower quality.

I buy American when I can, if it makes sense. It does not always make sense.

Oh I know Nissans are good quality, we have an Altima ourselves! My husband is very impressed with under the hood.
I was specifically referring to appliances in this case. I try to buy American, too, but for me, it's not where it's made that matters most, but quality. Sort of, treatment of workers (pay, conditions, etc) matters above all else, but it's sort of a qualifier all it's own there on a higher tier, a default, if you will.
Quality translates to product longevity, and that is the selling point for me. It's weighed against worker conditions to make the do or don't decision.

Often times, as much of a balancing act between Treatment & Quality is, American-made doesn't win out. Worker treatment might be indeed better in some industries here, but if the quality's crap, it's not worth the money to invest in the product, IMO.

It would be damn nice if High Quality and Superior Working Conditions were defaults in all industries worldwide. That'd be some truly meaningful competition.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Gotta love moron right wingers celerating the fact that they are now going to be taxed 50% more when they buy a washer. a reply to: worldstarcountry

gotta love uninformed partisan nonsense... my washing machine is at least a decade older than I am, made in the USA, and hasn't needed any work in the ten years I've used it.

my parents have a similar model, they've only changed a belt in my lifetime.

buy some tools some time- 50% more for a quality product is nothing.
I hear all the time about people buying a new washing machine every five years because the computer gave out.

quit buying garbage, it's not cost effective.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I am all for putting a tariff on some things to promote these companies coming back and producing them in the USA. It will take a little burden off of air quality in China, those people are dying from all the pollution there.

We can work with china, we do not need to have them produce everything we use though, I remember when this really started to roll faster, that was old Bill C that passed free trade with very little restrictions on our part. We should make most of what we need, make it well, and watch not to destroy our environment. That polution coming from China goes all over the world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join