It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The False Tyranny of Words

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yes they were....to the point I followed them. Merely because he also pointed out the same thing as I did in my post shows I did understand the 'initial' point. I failed to follow up on his expansion of it. One can call that a reaction, bu to the initial information communicated. Not the words themselves.

I've made my manners on this, you attempt to push buttons I don't have on it. Not the words themselves. My point and the OP's point.

Thanks for pointing my omission now 'go forth and multiply'.....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
Yes they were....to the point I followed them. Merely because he also pointed out the same thing as I did in my post shows I did understand the 'initial' point. I failed to follow up on his expansion of it. One can call that a reaction, bu to the initial information communicated. Not the words themselves.

I don't even think we are on the same page. That isn't the words' fault.

You did not understand the initial point of the post with the video yet you reacted to it by replying argumentively.

Like I said, there is no need to apologize. I'm just pointing out that reactions happen and it isn't just to the words.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You forgot, knock their block off.

So true. People take words to seriously, I suppose it cant be helped. But whatever happened of talking with your fists? Its frowned upon now a days, but in the olden days, it solved many a issue, and then everybody can go on with there day.

Should do that for politics as well or anything else, religion, well they sort of do that, but maybe they should do it more often, after all, after all if they did not do it so half assed then there would be nobody around to argue about who's invisible friend is the bestest invisible friend ever. You would think they would have all blown eachother up to kingdom come by now, jeez what gives?

Were and what happened to the good ol days were gentlemen would solve there differences by walking 10 steps turning around and first shot wins? Any dispute from political to personal to somebody steeping on your sneakers, can and should be solved by such a duel.

What the hell happened to that? Not that it solved anything, not that anything solves anything, that's besides the point, and the point was that people were more nicer and things more quiet when such duels were around. It was so much more quieter and less humdrum when you realized that any nonsense would have to be answered not by words, or especially by words behind a screen, but by action.

Now everybody is talking smack about everybody and nobody is bleeding for it? Whats up with that? Does not seem right, we need to make it law or bring back such things.

I think that may be best, to settle any dispute, be it personal or political or whatever, walk 10 steps, and turn around. BAM problem solved. One way or another, and come next day nobody will even remember what the humdrum was about. Yup! Sure fire way to solve issues, also would make people more nice, like in feudal Japan, how many people were there being all disrespectful when you had a bunch of people who were touchy walking around with swords? Not that many right?

What we should do is give everybody guns, and if they have any dispute or resolve any issue, then by law every Tuesday, they have to take the 10 step walk, and if there to chicken to put up or shut up, well then, shut up. Problems and issues would solve themselves, and words would be kind of meaningless. Yup, would make words obsolete or at least mean bickering words. Who needs words when you got bullets? Right? Would make all these trouble makers more friendly to seeing they will have to put up or shut up.

Its like totally the only option I see to solving this talking dilemma humans have, its like a plague or something, its nonstop, just yak yak yak yak this or that. Like who cares? Or with words, especialy this words behind a screen craze, its just bla bla bla bla bla yada yada yada this or that. It makes no sense, to talk or write so much and get all flustered about it all.

YUP! Would totally solve this talking and words issue. The only better thing would be to just play rock, paper, scissors every time somebody has an issue, but that is more for enlightened souls, which there is not to many around this rock called earth. Besides if we go rock, paper, scissors, then people would be like, "best out of 3" And if you win 3 rounds, then they would be like "no best out of 4" and if you win 4 rounds it would just be "oh noz, best out of 6 wins" And it would just go on like that till it's best out of 1000 or who knows what. It would just go on and on.

YUP, we need to like make it law or part of the constitution that every Tuesday those who have grievances or are to rowdy with there words must take the 10 step walk, and? Problems solved.

Maybe the problem isn't that we have to much violence, maybe the problem and issue is that we have to little violence? Which makes people be rude. Just saying. You know try to think outside the box here. I mean who knows why people take words so seriously, it is a strange phenomenon indeed, lets hope that like people wearing hammer pants it will go out of style one of these days.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What is it that you have against people who are in control of themselves? Why snark about people who actually walk the walk as well as talking the talk? You are free to do so of course, but much like reacting violently to speech, it doesn't present you as a very civil member of society. Why create negativity? I simply don't understand this approach to life.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
What is it that you have against people who are in control of themselves?

Who said I have anything against them? I'm one of them.

Why snark about people who actually walk the walk as well as talking the talk? You are free to do so of course, but much like reacting violently to speech, it doesn't present you as a very civil member of society. Why create negativity? I simply don't understand this approach to life.

You seemed to have reacted to my words and not what I was actually saying.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

So true. People take words to seriously, I suppose it cant be helped. But whatever happened of talking with your fists? Its frowned upon now a days, but in the olden days, it solved many a issue, and then everybody can go on with there day.

If you are adults who have an issue to settle and it is your mutual decision to settle it with fists, I have no problem with that. You may be as barbaric as you wish so long as your solution is private, not in the public square.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Since it appears that I'm not the only one having a bit of trouble understanding your points I'll just leave you to ponder the difference between words and actions. Peace, brother.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

You can't tell the difference between "some people will choose to be violent" and "I think it is good that some people will choose to be violent"?

I said the former and you came back asking what I have against people who are in control of themselves. Which doesn't even come close to addressing what I actually said and how you got there is beyond me.
edit on 23-1-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
No, words are not analogous to land mines and shackles. Such comparisons are indicative of your fear, your superstition, and your ignorance, not reality.

How would you explain placebo's working in medicine?

Surely that's clear proof of words having the ability to physically affect us.
Whether this comparision is a result of my fear, superstition or ignorance is irrelevant.

It's a proven reality.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

No, words are not analogous to land mines and shackles. Such comparisons are indicative of your fear, your superstition, and your ignorance, not reality.

How would you explain placebo's working in medicine?

Surely that's clear proof of words having the ability to physically affect us.
Whether this comparision is a result of my fear, superstition or ignorance is irrelevant.

It's a proven reality.

Beliefs and expectations are powerful. As the theory goes, if I expect the placebo to work, the expectation or belief leads to me adjusting my own body chemistry. It’s true of stress as well. That’s why I would suggest expecting words to cause damage will only lead to damage.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So you agree that words can have physical results.

Isn't your thinking a little paradoxical here?

I think you are proposing using words to alter your physical response to words so that words have no physical response.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

So you agree that words can have physical results.

Isn't your thinking a little paradoxical here?

I think you are proposing using words to alter your physical response to words so that words have no physical response.

Beliefs and expectations, not words.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Beliefs and expectations, based on nothing more than words.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Beliefs and expectations, based on nothing more than words.

We can believe or not believe words, true.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

True, but you are saying that believing them can have an effect. That contradicts your OP.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

True, but you are saying that believing them can have an effect. That contradicts your OP.

No it does not.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I get it, it isn't the words but what people believe, but you can't separate the two.

You can do it for yourself but you can't expect others to do so.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I get it, it isn't the words but what people believe, but you can't separate the two.

You can do it for yourself but you can't expect others to do so.

Thinking is a biological process. Believing we are under threat, even if we aren’t will cause stress, etc.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Thinking is a biological process. Believing we are under threat, even if we aren’t will cause stress, etc.

You also said...

and to finally come to the realization that not only do words do not hurt, they cannot hurt, one can also learn to overcome the tyranny of words which she ultimate places on herself.

Do you not see the confusion here?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Yes, and you can't make others not feel that.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join