It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The False Tyranny of Words

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

And you know what words can do, otherwise you wouldn't author threads. Actually, you just tyrannized ATSliens with another appeal for tolerance regarding any and all intolerance.

It's kinda funny to see you in agreement with the T&Cs from this site though, utterly tyrannized by words from the 3 amigos and their staff. It's called psychological warfare and you should sue them.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Sure I do.

Then whose argument am I misrepresenting?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I have no idea what any of that has to do with the video in that post.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

People who are arguing against someone not just because of their words but because of their actions. Trump and DACA, for example.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

People who are arguing against someone not just because of their words but because of their actions. Trump and DACA, for example.

Can you point to me where I misrepresented their argument in the OP?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

And you know what words can do, otherwise you wouldn't author threads. Actually, you just tyrannized ATSliens with another appeal for tolerance regarding any and all intolerance.

It's kinda funny to see you in agreement with the T&Cs from this site though, utterly tyrannized by words from the 3 amigos and their staff. It's called psychological warfare and you should sue them.

I do know what I can do with words, and I assume you can read them, yes.

No, I am not in agreement with the T&C's, and I do not need to agree in order to abide by them.

I do understand if you want others to tell you what you can and cannot say, like a mother to her child, but I would argue you're only infantilizing yourself.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: nwtrucker

I have no idea what any of that has to do with the video in that post.

Gee, I'm talking about the thread, overall. The subject? Words? Hello?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I do understand if you want others to tell you what you can and cannot say, like a mother to her child, but I would argue you're only infantilizing yourself.

Why did we grow up to have a reasonable debate in the first place then? I mean... we could just throw crap at each other in the pit.

No, I am not in agreement with the T&C's, and I do not need to agree in order to abide by them.

And the irony, that you de facto argue not to abide by them (for psychological warfare or something), isn't lost on you?
edit on 23-1-2018 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

“And the irony, that you de facto argue not to abide by them (for psychological warfare or something), isn't lost on you? ”

I made no such argument.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Serdgiam

i cannot, and will not, disagree with you.

Repeated exposure turns neural pathways into neural highways. It is why no one is allowed to raise a voice in my home....home is my sanctuary from assholes.

I may be misunderstanding you but I thought you just argued that words have no effect but are now saying words can have have an effect if spoken with a raised voice, but not if spoken softly....? You can't have it both ways, either words spoken cause and effect or they don't, the manner in which the words are delivered should make no difference

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Oha.

*drops iron and steps back immediately*

If you don't mind me asking... is this recruitment or what exactly is going on?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Oha.

*drops iron and steps back immediately*

If you don't mind me asking... is this recruitment or what exactly is going on?

I don't mind you asking, but I do not understand the question.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

a reply to: Serdgiam

i cannot, and will not, disagree with you.

Repeated exposure turns neural pathways into neural highways. It is why no one is allowed to raise a voice in my home....home is my sanctuary from assholes.

I may be misunderstanding you but I thought you just argued that words have no effect but are now saying words can have have an effect if spoken with a raised voice, but not if spoken softly....? You can't have it both ways, either words spoken cause and effect or they don't, the manner in which the words are delivered should make no difference

Words are not tone. Screaming is not speaking.

I can, and will, have it both ways. In my home people are free to speak their mind. But they are not free to scream it at me. Is it really so hard to understand?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No it's not hard to understand, so what if I spoke softly to you with my intent being malice, I'm still speaking with a soft and loving voice but delivering some hateful words?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Personally I believe words do affect us, they don't need to be yelled or even spoken with sinister tone, words we use have quite a lot of power and can cause all manner of emotions.
edit on 23-1-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

What are you talking about here?

Personal insults aren't something I have to expose myself to. All I have to do is leave, and let haters talk to themselves.

I can't figure out how to frame your question in a logical way. Help me out a bit.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Personally I believe words do affect us, they don't need to be yelled or even spoken with sinister tone, words we use have quite a lot of power and can cause all manner of emotions.

Yes, they can cause all manner of emotions.

But you own your emotions. Not the person that elicits it.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

What are you talking about here?

Personal insults aren't something I have to expose myself to. All I have to do is leave, and let haters talk to themselves.

I can't figure out how to frame your question in a logical way. Help me out a bit.

What I'm trying to say is words can disguised, the intent can be disguised so we can have a loving tone yet deliver a hateful message. Yes I'm having a hard time expressing myself here, I will try again later this evening when I have some free time.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

What I'm trying to say is words can disguised, the intent can be disguised so we can have a loving tone yet deliver a hateful message. Yes I'm having a hard time expressing myself here, I will try again later this evening when I have some free time.

It is a difficult topic to speak about. Most of the errors are tangled up in our grammar, and crystallized in our language.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Think of the dog that we console quietly, assuring them it will be ok, before euthanizing them. To us it may be ok...to the dog it most certainly isnt.

Maybe not the best example but it speaks to the same thing: subterfuge. Someone not being forthcoming is difficult to assess. Thats for sure.

I typically default to intent. What is intended by the statement. Helps me not misread people while cutting through their BS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join