It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friday the 13th, 2029: giant asteroid will narrowly miss earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
"A giant asteroid the size of three football pitches will make the closest flyby of Earth in recorded history for an object of its size, scientists said yesterday.

It will pass between the Earth and the Moon and will even come closer than the orbit of many telecommunications satellites, although astronomers insisted that there was little chance of a collision with the massive rock.

Anxious Earthlings need not worry too much for another 24 years, however, because asteroid 2004 MN4 is not due to make its closest approach to Earth until about 10pm London time on Friday 13 April 2029.

The latest calculations of the rock's orbit suggest that it will come so close that it will probably be visible to the naked eye from Britain. It will shine in the sky as a dim, fast-moving star - the first asteroid in modern times to be clearly visible from Earth without the aid of a telescope or binoculars.

news.independent.co.uk...

Yet another "narrow" miss being predicted. I can't count how many of these future "narrow" misses these has been lately. But note this does not and can not include those space rocks that are in orbit around the poles of the sun. Like the near miss last december 19th near the earthquake epicenter that was a total "suprise". It passed between the earth and some sat's and no one saw it comming becuase it came from the polar region of the sun.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
24 years is a long time ..... relatively speaking.
Lot's can happen to change things. The universe
is constantly pulling and pushing. If things change
direction, even just a fraction of an inch ... the
outcome could be very different than 'near miss'.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
hehehe,
nice DATE tho,
for an asteroid to "narrowly miss Earth"

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
hehehe,
nice DATE tho,
for an asteroid to "narrowly miss Earth"

Kinda freaky isn't it. There is a lot of 'stuff" that can happen, isn't that probe supposed to hit the "temple" comet in July this year.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
24 years is a long time ..... relatively speaking.
Lot's can happen to change things. The universe
is constantly pulling and pushing. If things change
direction, even just a fraction of an inch ... the
outcome could be very different than 'near miss'.

Eh, if you look, we have narrow misses all the time. I we're bound to get hit by something really big sooner or later (not to mention the smaller asteroids that have actually hit us within the last few thousand years). I think if something like that happens I'll sit on the roof and watch the fireworks.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Being discussed in a couple threads already. Dr, I'm surprised you didn't know ;-)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
DONT scare me already lol near misses can be scary hopfully it wont knock down communacations and stuff

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You want to know why I am 100% sure this is a hoax? Nothing bad ever happens on Friday the 13th.

Friday the 13th is a memorial of the day the Pope ordered all the Knights Templar to be killed, and the reason it is considered unlucky is because the idiot who made it up was probably Mason. I would consider this to be a very fortunate day for all mankind, actually. I have never considered it unlucky, actually, I am planning to do some "unlucky" things for that day just to show other people how retarded it is.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

As indicatd, this topic already exisits. Closing thread & moving to better forum

top topics

join