It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvesting of Cell Phone User Data - A New Level?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Had some WTF moments with Android phones and targeted advertising myself. The phone seems to have associated my home IP as well and the adds I get are spookily accurate (not biting tho

At least there's some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one seeing this sort of marketing activity.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

Its creepy to think they see all and hear all. Esp. when most of us keep our phones at our bedside at night. Or with us at work.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Besides the fact that scientific articles have appeared teaching us that AI now has the ability to 'read your thoughts' and transfer the electrical signal to a picture of what you're thinking about, implicating ...........

I wanted to share something designed by Google which i came across by accident and it was on some news channels a couple of months ago.
If you have a smartphone and you installed it the first time using @gmail.com account it would be smart of you to follow these steps and just check if your phone does what mine did before - and turn it off.

Do this on a computer not on your phone

1. Go to My Account of your phone's gmail (search google if you can't find it and follow the link)
2. Now go to My Activity
3. In the middle there is Personal Info and Privacy column with four links
4. Choose the fourth one - Control your content
5. Scroll below your personal information and - Go To Activity Controls
6. Scroll down and you'll see Voice&Audio Activity tab

Is it on or off?
Turn it off if it's on.
Google is randomly recording snippets of you talking, not just while on the phone but also just walking around a store for example.

You can listen to and check all recordings if you go back to -
4. Control your content and then instead of the activity controls
5. Choose one below that - review activity - Go to My Activity

My older phone and older gmail was off by default so no recordings were ever made, my new phone with new gmail however has been recorded for 3 months before i turned it off.

Not that i believe they don't listen now, it's only not being recorded ' for the record'

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Exitt

Spooky but there's this reassuring message on top of the page:

Only you can see this data. Google protects your privacy and security.

Oh yeah

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
a reply to: Exitt

Spooky but there's this reassuring message on top of the page:

Only you can see this data. Google protects your privacy and security.

Oh yeah

Google doesn't protect anything but its own pocketbook

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

ive had strange things happen too, but nothing specific i can recall. thanks for documenting this

makes you wonder if somewhere a human was actually watching you, through your phone camera, touching the soundproofing foam, or was this done by "AI" (even if not "true AI").

I couldnt really picture a human doing something like that... but I could see a computer program equating touching/picking up something as an interest to purchase something similar...
edit on 1/24/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MantheDevilsApe

i tried it and one of mine was also Wjat does the fox say...

i clicked it, its a stupid internet electronic music song from 2013.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: incoserv

ive had strange things happen too, but nothing specific i can recall. thanks for documenting this

makes you wonder if somewhere a human was actually watching you, through your phone camera, touching the soundproofing foam, or was this done by "AI" (even if not "true AI").

I couldnt really picture a human doing something like that... but I could see a computer program equating touching/picking up something as an interest to purchase something similar...

Yeah, I can't see a human doing that, either. But the tiles were of such a shape and texture and the images would have been taken at such an angle ... Must've been some kind of AI type process that figured it out.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Donnak1

Just had a conversation about Bitcoin...bam! Within minutes Bitcoin ad on my phone! Could be a coincidence? We will never know!

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Two weeks ago I had a brief discussion with my manager, at work and in his office about Bitcoin. I had not googled it. I was refering to a few years previous when I first heard about it. I said 'I wanted to buy some then but I didn't know how'. When I checked my emails the next day there was a spam mail about how to purchase Bitcoin. I told my manager the next day because I found it odd. This was my professional email account where I seldomely receive any spam. My other account is full of it. Only I know that I didn't google it.

Then I saw this thread. I have had tape over all my device cameras and pc since getting them.
I'm glad they can hear, they know exactly what I think of them and how very widely I share information so that people can look for themselves.

a reply to: Donnak1

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join