It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking:: Mayon Volcano Philippines report it is about to blow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
There has been a steady stream of reports the last week that Mayon Volcano that is situated in the central Philippines has been getting frisky, about a hour ago it is confirmed that an explosive eruption is imminent.

40 Thousands people have been evacuated and a 8 mile exclusion zone has been put in place, explosions ash and debris have been witnessed.

I am not a geologist so I have zero understanding just how bad this could or could not be but I feel the good folks of ATS will find it note worthy..

I am currently in Central Visayas so out of harms way..

This Volcano does have a documented history of being very active.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

uk.businessinsider.com...

www.express.co.uk...

Current alert level is 4 of 5...

RA

edit on 22-1-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

The Gods are angry.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Be safe...

This is what a major volcanic eruption looks like. The footage was taken from 10 miles away when it erupted.

Mount. St. Helens - May 1980

edit on 22-1-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I was at Mt.St.Helens when it erupted.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I remember watching this one from South of there. God be with the people getting ready for the one in the Philippines.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It's very interesting to note of the cooling effects it has on our climate.
In which it once caused a year without a summer in 1816.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-1-2018 by boozo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Stay safe and far far away from it...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

I was at Mt.St.Helens when it erupted.

You must make a thread about it. Share your story.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This was posted 5 hours ago.youtu.be...

edit on 727ndk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That dude is way to close.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Those evacuees need to be sure and stop on the way out and sign up for the lottery of 6 houses that will be built for them!! Ok, ok...that wasn't nice, I do hope all find safety away from such a cruel Mother Nature A$$ Whoopin...Stay safe everyone...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Mayon usually does VEI 3, but I've seen where it has managed a VEI 4 in the past. It sort of looks like it's at VEI 3 level now.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I was texted some photos from my friend in Bicol of the eruption. The ash fallout is going to be significant.

Hope everyone keeps safe.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Be safe...

This is what a major volcanic eruption looks like. The footage was taken from 10 miles away when it erupted.

Mount. St. Helens - May 1980

That is freaky! Immediately before the eruption, it looked like the entire side of the mountain was melting off. I've never seen footage of that before.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

That's what happens when one of the flanks of the volcano collapses.

Well here you go .... A whole article on Mayon -- or what is a deadly volcano.

A few days ago Spica wrote a post asking us for our most dangerous volcanoes since she is going to give a speech at Ars Electronica in Linz. Normally I try to stay away from discussing megadeath volcanoes since the subject is fairly gruesome. But, I got intrigued by the notion and started thinking about what would be the most dangerous volcano on the planet.

First I had to think up a set of requirements to judge it by. The premiere one would have to be a lot of nearby residents. The second requirement would be that it has a history of frequent medium sized eruptions (VEI-3 to VEI-5). The third requirement is that it should have an eruptive style that poses a large threat to the residents. The fourth requirement is that it should be a known killer volcano, and the fifth one is that it should have the capacity for a large scale eruption (VEI-6 to VEI-7). For those who know the history of volcanic eruptions will know that this is a true recipe for disaster. With this list of requirements in the back of my head I compared it to the list of volcanoes known to me. It was surprising how many well known bad boys in the world that did not meet these requirements. In the end it was though one that climbed out on top of all the others by virtue of being in the top 3 in all of the categories.

Mount Mayon was the top contender, locally known as Bulkang Mayon after the heroine Daragang Magayon (Beautiful Lady in the local language). For those who love stories of love that end badly, read this one.

Not the date on this: 2013. So for five years at least, Mayon has been noticed as what you would call an exceptionally dangerous volcano with a lot of potential for mayhem.

Mayon is also at the stage in its life when it could begin to erupt along a ring fault have a caldera forming eruption putting it into the VEI 6 or even 7 range. It's unlikely this will occur anytime soon in human terms, but definitely soon in geologic terms. If it did a Pinatubo, that could force a caldera forming eruption, but it's unlikely.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They are saying it is at VEI-4 now youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

That's the alert level not the Volcanic Explosivity Index level.

The Alert system only warns of the likelihood of an eruption, while the Volcanic Exploivity Index (VEI) indicates the power that could be released during an eruption.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

We thought a car hit our house when it went, we were 300+ miles away.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

They are still worried that it might go more Mt. St. Helens in terms of volume, but right now, it's just around a VEI-3 level of activity.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

That's the alert level not the Volcanic Explosivity Index level.

The Alert system only warns of the likelihood of an eruption, while the Volcanic Exploivity Index (VEI) indicates the power that could be released during an eruption.

You are correct, sorry, I just washed my fingers and can't do a thing with them....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join