It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richest one percent made 82% of wealth created last year: Oxfam

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
One day those richest 1 % will inherit their wooden overcoats, just like the rest of us, small comfort I know.
Plus they just cannot, no matter how hard they, take it with them.

Not wrong but all the strings of power and influence they own will be usually left to there decendants. The current system setup ensures the rich get richer while the poor have to work much harder than em just to keep warm n fed

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Oldskool88
I

Automation is going to make millions and millions of people obsolete. If plans are not made for this change, change will make the plans.
And that is no way to have it and it will get ugly.

Your right. It frightens me to be fair they have a choice the people that have all the money and influence over the rest of us. Are all of us really gonna be needed. How unfair could it get. The next 10 years decisions decide how we continue. Thrive as a species together or will the ultra wealthy see other issues as over population as somthing that now should be adresessed. As we at the bottom are looked at as assets by most of them. Im worried for the poormans future when robots can do the legwork for the elite. Going conspiracy here but its not to much of a stretch of my human imagination.
edit on 22-1-2018 by Oldskool88 because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 22-1-2018 by Oldskool88 because: Dp

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: seasonal

Solutions?

How about they pay 82% of the taxes?

Why do they not have their 14th amendment right or they just the new 3/5's crowd?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

They're the 82/100th's crowd.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldskool88

I

Automation is going to make millions and millions of people obsolete. If plans are not made for this change, change will make the plans.

Your right. It frightens me to be fair they have a choice the people that have all the money and influence over the rest of us. Are all of us really gonna be needed. How unfair could it get. The next 10 years decisions decide how we continue. Thrive as a species together or will the ultra wealthy see other issues as over population as somthing that now should be adresessed. As we at the bottom are looked at as assets by most of them. Im worried for the poormans future when robots can do the legwork for the elite. Going conspiracy here but its not to much of a stretch of my human imagination.

Given what I have seen with corps doing the wrong thing when no one is looking. We are screwed.

This will have to be a legislative solution. How can we expect a politician who depends on reelection funds from corps to vote against the corps?

This is either solved by pen or by sword. (unfortunately)

edit on 22-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Are they actively reaching into society's pockets and 'suctioning' out the money?

No, they aren't. Only government can do that.

So find a new target for your envy, please.

Why do you think Trump is surrounded by so many Wall Street people?

Every subsidy, every cockeyed government contract, takes money from your pocket and puts into theirs.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

So what ?

You can't fault them for what your currently doing now.

Putting money to work.

It Pays off.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
if i owned a company. this is how i would do it.
1. everything made in the usa.

2. profits go like this-
33% to me
33% to savings for the company
33% to the employees bonuses. if you worked 12 months, you get full bonus, if you worked half the time, you get half the bonus. this bonus is spread equally out over the ENTIRE workforce. so the vp gets the same bonus as the guy building the doohicky.

imagine if someone building an iphone got to share the profits.

now the inter-nationalist would never ever DARE to give away such bonuses. which makes no sense, as the owner i am still making 33% more than anyone else.

33% has to be reinvested into savings and factory costs.

i tell you one thing, if i had such a factory? my employees would love me, and work hard and never want to leave.

if need more money for health insurance for the employees, then the split can be 50% running costs of profits, 25% to me, 25% split to all employees.

if the vp does not like getting the same bonus as the factory worker, well fkkk him, i will fire him and get someone who is nicer.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

There is a reason they go to the wealthy/corps for taxes. Historically this is where the money is. That has not changed.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldskool88

I

Given what I have seen with corps doing the wrong thing when no one is looking. We are screwed.

This will have to be a legislative solution. How can we expect a politician who depends on reelection funds from corps to vote against the corps?

This is either solved by pen or by sword. (unfortunately)

yea i agree but the problem is resouces we are at the mercy tbh. our only hope is a change of consiousness and thought from the top. A realization of our combined potential. It could be a truely great vision and implementation of tech and resources. Or it could be. Well il let you imagine. With polution and over population as big agendas. Whats the percieved easiest fix? Rather not say. But we would be helpless. We wouldnt see a de population effort coming and we wouldnt be able to do much about it. (without resources). The banks can instantly take away 99.9 percent of the populations monetary wealth in a heartbeat. We really are at there mercy

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
if i owned a company. this is how i would do it.
1. everything made in the usa.

2. profits go like this-
33% to me
33% to savings for the company
33% to the employees bonuses. if you worked 12 months, you get full bonus, if you worked half the time, you get half the bonus. this bonus is spread equally out over the ENTIRE workforce. so the vp gets the same bonus as the guy building the doohicky.

imagine if someone building an iphone got to share the profits.

now the inter-nationalist would never ever DARE to give away such bonuses. which makes no sense, as the owner i am still making 33% more than anyone else.

33% has to be reinvested into savings and factory costs.

i tell you one thing, if i had such a factory? my employees would love me, and work hard and never want to leave.

if need more money for health insurance for the employees, then the split can be 50% running costs of profits, 25% to me, 25% split to all employees.

if the vp does not like getting the same bonus as the factory worker, well fkkk him, i will fire him and get someone who is nicer.

Employees do share in the profits... most of these companies offer profit sharing, employee stock options, 401ks, etc.

Let's take your example... 1/3 to you, 1/3 back in to company and 1/3 to employees. So you created a company that makes $1 billion in profits.

This means, you individually get $330 million. You put $330 million back into retained earnings or whatever. And you give $330 million to your employees.

Let's say your company has 25,000 employees. This means every employee gets a bonus of $13,200...

Oh the humanity... You individuality as the company's owner and founder got 25,000 times the average employee's bonus!

Of course, not all the 25,000 employees are equal, so those bonuses will be weight towards the employees who are most valuable, tenure, etc.

This is why I can't take any of you serious.... You just described what happens at a lot of these companies where the founder may still own a large chunk of the company like Amazon, Oracle, or other companies that earn billions of dollars.

Jeff Bezos still owns 17% of Amazon stock....

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Workers are seen as a cost and with any cost everything must be done to minimize this cost or better yet eliminate it, that is what Corps do. They push unnecessarily costs out and add value in (with the exception of medical and college).

Your company would fail due to competition. Other (cell phone) corps would simply lower costs or make partnerships with data providers to give the phone away for free til you are out of business.

Why? Because there is an order to how this all works. Any business model that is as even handed as yours would be the black sheep and out of business.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

We allow ourselves to be at their mercy. If things go sideways, they loose and they loose bigly.

But "they" have their bets hedged where it counts. Owning 90% of the media is where the propaganda side that keeps the lid on this starts. And they have the blue wall that is the enforcement side.

I think if things get much worse their stop gaps will prove to be wholly inadequate.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

We allow ourselves to be at their mercy. If things go sideways, they loose and they loose bigly.

But "they" have their bets hedged where it counts. Owning 90% of the media is where the propaganda side that keeps the lid on this starts. And they have the blue wall that is the enforcement side.

I think if things get much worse their stop gaps will prove to be wholly inadequate.

Yea we need to realize profits are not as important as the true important human needs. Shelter water food friendship and learning

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The current climate reminds me of the wizard or oz. No one really knows whos pulling the strings behind the curtain. Thats the problem though. Lets face it all our officials are on a wage and salary. Who pays them. And so on and so forth

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

So roughly 10% of people who own 80% of the stock market get to decide how our politicians vote because they're technically people.

Great logic you're using there man. Screw the other 90%, I've got money to make!

Sorry to say but that is such an ignorant argument and completely and TOTALLY misses the point I'm making, yet again.
edit on 1/22/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

OK. If it's not envy, what do we call it? If I want what others have, even if it's not for me but less fortunate, what does that make me?

I appreciate it can be argued it's a "good cause". A person with more money they can spend yet people are starving does not seem very just, even though the concept of justice is subjective.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Wanting to be equitable in the distribution of wealth doesn't fall to one of the 7 deadly sins.

I find it absolutely amazing that anyone can do the mental gymnastics to come to to conclusion that even debating the subject of 83% of all the wealth was sucked up by 1%. That is amazing to me, and I am middle of the road (politically).

If this isn't rectified, history has taught us that an equilibrium will be reached come hell or high water. This is something I for one would like to avoid.

And people who acquired the wealth by exploitation, and there is alot of that in the supply chain, are guilty of that (envy). Someone wanting to enjoy a little more of the fruits of their labor is not the one who is wrong in this.

edit on 22-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join