It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you prove evolution wrong? -- Part 2

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Who said we came from monkies? Do you know the difference between primates? Our closest relatives are the Chimps, and we shared a COMMON ANCESTOR many millions of years back. Thus we are not decended from Chimps, we shared a common ancestor. Just like your great great Uncle is not the same as your Great Grandfather. They are cousins. Monkies are even further back on the tree of ancestry.

So you do not understand how statistics works either. The simplest answer is that our closest matches in DNA, that are still extanct, ie the chimps, are relatives, with a very high level of correlation. Why is that "Stupid"? You and your ilk love that work "stupid", as if it explains everything, rather than a hollow dismissal.

Slan leat (do not let the door hit your rear)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Noinden

Evolution is a theory, a system of ideas. You can believe it if you wish, but you can't get pissed off just because someone else doesn't buy into that same system of ideas.

Posting again - hope it sinks in:

Is Evolution a Theory or a Fact? It is both. But that answer requires looking more deeply at the meanings of the words "theory" and "fact." © PhotoDisc In everyday usage, "theory" often refers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, "I have a theory about why that happened," they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence. The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Many scientific theories are so well-established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics). Like these other foundational scientific theories, the theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence. However, like all scientific theories, the theory of evolution is subject to continuing refinement as new areas of science emerge or as new technologies enable observations and experiments that were not possible previously. One of the most useful properties of scientific theories is that they can be used to make predictions about natural events or phenomena that have not yet been observed. For example, the theory of gravitation predicted the behavior of objects on the moon and other planets long before the activities of spacecraft and astronauts confirmed them. The evolutionary biologists who discovered Tiktaalik predicted that they would find fossils intermediate between fish and limbed terrestrial animals in sediments that were about 375 million years old. Their discovery confirmed the prediction made on the basis of evolutionary theory. In turn, confirmation of a prediction increases confidence in that theory. In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions. From Science, Evolution, and Creationism, National Academy of Sciences and Institute of Medicine. © 2008 National Academy of Sciences

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

There are no mind games in evolution, just a spectrum of studies that demand our diligent attention if we are to understand the past and what it might mean about the future. The thing that seems to give people trouble is not how plausible evolution sounds or how much evidence there is to support it, but that the theory does nothing to address the questions of what we should do about it or what will make us happy or what even is happy. Evolution is not relevant to self actualization. This is what I've observed to be the root of contention here, because why would you care unless the theory of evolution makes you insecure about your place in the ecosystem and how you came to be here? How existence itself came to be? We are fearful creatures cruelly gifted with acute sensitivity to those fears and a relentless drive to resolve our existential futility. Evolution was never meant to do that and it bugs the crap out of some people. Anyway if it was going to be discredited, I think it would have happened by now.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Evolution is a theory, a system of ideas. You can believe it if you wish, but you can't get pissed off just because someone else doesn't buy into that same system of ideas.

But not once has it been disproven in this thread or any other thread on this forum. Over 500 pages of waffling and no closer to discrediting evolution than when this website was started.

Ehm, it was never proven in order to BE disproven.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Right, the great apes. I don't buy it. Humans have always been humans and apes have always been apes. I don't believe we started out as one celled amoebas either. I don't believe in evolution in that sense. I believe in evolving technologically but not in a species transnational way.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Hey I appreciate all the little jabs, they kept me intrigued to read more and more until I got to the end of your response.

I hope you feel better now.

I get the theory... Darwin said a Sinonyx (hyena) became a Humpback Whale over 60 million years.

I have no doubts that the human body can evolve in specific categories like lighter skin, darker skin, different eyes, etc. So you seem to be agreeing with me, that we didn't come from apes. Thanks for that. Everything I've read or heard has claimed that monkeys evolved into humans.

I don't need a library card, I have Google and I'm going to Google "Theory of Evolution" to see what pops up.

This is the crap we've been fed for ages. Tell me where this says we only share a common ancestor and weren't evolved from apes.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

See the picture above. What does it tell you?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I wanna respond to this but apparently reiterating what I've read in history books is too offensive even though it's been proven and was most definitely not meant in an inflammatory manner. I'll PM you about it so I don't bust any rules here. Thanks for the videos. And thanks for hearing my angle.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: odzeandennz
can evolutionists tell me where or how consciousness evolved, or why only one species seemed to have developed this. why aren't there more like us, why don't we have a natural predator, why don't we have a mating season for reproduction like every species known to man.

A more believable instance would be a male monkey sleeping with a female human and the human bearing the child that had more human traits than monkey since supposedly the DNA in a human and monkey is close. Evolution is ignorant though, and unproven.

LOL Evolution is ignorant and unproven? I'm laughing that you said it was ignorant. There has been so much research into evolution. Scientific research...that is the exact opposite of ignorant.

There is so much research, data, evidence on evolution. But as I always ask, what is the alternative theory? How are we here?

Do you honestly think that you once belonged to a group of monkeys and swung through trees with them? Very very ignorant. Evolution isn't a fact, it's a theory, I assume you understand the difference. Hundreds of thousands of years and we haven't evolved. I guess it decided on its own to stop, right? You keep your science, I'll keep my common sense.

But it is common sense. If you were to study evolution and read about it you'd see. The basics are that over time small mutations happen to help us cope with our environment better. These small mutations keep adding up over time....over millions of years. That's both micro and macro evolution right there. Of course not every organiam mutates and of those that do not all mutate the same. Look at the human race..some cultures are lighter skinned, darker skinned, taller, and shorter etc. Look the fish in the ocean...they aren't all the same.

If you don't believe in evolution, then how did we come to be here on earth? Did humans just suddenly appear? What's your theory on that?

If you wanna believe in the theory of evolution then more power to you. I believe God created us, that's my faith. I know you're already discounting my theory as much as I'm discounting yours by this point. I believe we share a common ancestor in Adam and I believe that as we spaced ourselves out to difference regions of the Earth, our bodies adapted to the climates and conditions as we were designed to do. You have your religion and I have mine. I do appreciate the response without insults though, thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Nice find... Think about this going on a couple hundred thousand years ago in a tribal Africa and interbreeding with a monkey and the child then breeding with a human and so on. After a few generations, it's just gonna look like a human/monkey mix but with more human traits than monkeys. Perhaps it's a good explanation of why sub-Saharan Africans have the lowest average IQs on Earth. I don't know, but there's a lot to tie in and think about.

The above has to be the most staggeringly ignorant and racist statement I have seen for some time on this site. No. Take your racism and your ignorance somewhere else.

Thanks for reading my post 110% out context and overgeneralizing it, now I know who reported me. You can find the stats on IQs all over the internet so you might wanna check your race card, it's no good here anyways. To even see the racism in that speaks volumes about you.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom423

You obviously can't read. Evolution is fact based on the scientific definition of fact. Prove that wrong.

No, evolution is a theory based on findings that haven't been proven without a shadow of a doubt.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I wanna respond to this but apparently reiterating what I've read in history books is too offensive even though it's been proven and was most definitely not meant in an inflammatory manner. I'll PM you about it so I don't bust any rules here. Thanks for the videos. And thanks for hearing my angle.

You claimed something so astonishingly racist and untrue that it flabbergasted even me, and I've been on this website for a long time. What you claimed was so untrue in fact that I was amazed that anyone could post such a claim and mean it sincerely. I'd ask where it was proven, but I'm almost afraid to ask where you got that so-called information.
Once again: we share a primate ancestor with the great apes. We share a great deal of our DNA with them. We have a common ancestor.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

So what does this mean?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Nice find... Think about this going on a couple hundred thousand years ago in a tribal Africa and interbreeding with a monkey and the child then breeding with a human and so on. After a few generations, it's just gonna look like a human/monkey mix but with more human traits than monkeys. Perhaps it's a good explanation of why sub-Saharan Africans have the lowest average IQs on Earth. I don't know, but there's a lot to tie in and think about.

The above has to be the most staggeringly ignorant and racist statement I have seen for some time on this site. No. Take your racism and your ignorance somewhere else.

Thanks for reading my post 110% out context and overgeneralizing it, now I know who reported me. You can find the stats on IQs all over the internet so you might wanna check your race card, it's no good here anyways. To even see the racism in that speaks volumes about you.

And the fact that you cannot see the racism that you posted tells me everything I need to know about you.
Good day.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

So in science, a fact is an observation or measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur.

Do you not understand that none of that defines a fact?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

That would be just a general idea...

Keep in mind there are thosands, if not millions of generations between each species

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Whatever man, PM me if you have something personal to say. I'll tell you everything you need to know, as based on facts. I'm reposting facts. More factual than evolution.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

That's what we've always been shown and what comes up first when I search "Theory of Evolution." It tells me that evolution suggests we came from monkeys. And millions of people out there will argue that we DID come from monkeys.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Phantom423

So in science, a fact is an observation or measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur.

Do you not understand that none of that defines a fact?

Will you write a letter to the National Academy of Science and tell them that? I'm sure they'll revise their definition and withdraw the article I posted from their website.

Here's the address:

National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
500 Fifth St. N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20001.
edit on 1-2-2018 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Whatever man, PM me if you have something personal to say. I'll tell you everything you need to know, as based on facts. I'm reposting facts. More factual than evolution.

I have no intention of PMing you, you claimed that people in sub-Saharan Africa were stupid because they had interbred with monkeys. Words fail me. No.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join