It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Millennials should find their power like women have. Indivisible groups who unify with other indivisible groups.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Truth be told when I was a youngster my parents told me if you want something you have to work for it,not by wearing weird crap and holding signs which you can't even comprehend,the new generation wants everyone to do for them,how public schools built them,they are hard to train because they are lacking in social and other skills necessary in life,try hard work,it will get you focused

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Its the boomers fault you guys are ingesting Tide pods too as well.

www.yahoo.com...

edit on 22-1-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dbarnhart

So at 22 you had a house, two cars paid for, married, furniture, and the standard luxuries for the day. And you think you were bad off? You were poor but that's much better off than the average 22 year old today, which is on the tail end of millennials, the average millennial is now 30 and still doesn't have any of that.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Some expect too much to start out with.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: face23785

It's a career. You're going to spend 33% of your life at it. Liking it is an important step in filtering out where you don't want to apply.

So that's your excuse not to work? Because you can't just walk into your dream job? If there's #ty jobs available, you work a #ty job until you can find your way into your dream job. It's called growing up. The entitlement and absolute refusal to make adult decisions is stunning.
edit on 22 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

a reply to: face23785

It's a career. You're going to spend 33% of your life at it. Liking it is an important step in filtering out where you don't want to apply.

So that's your excuse not to work? Because you can't just walk into your dream job? If there's #ty jobs available, you work a #ty job until you can find your way into your dream job. It's called growing up. The entitlement and absolute refusal to make adult decisions is stunning.

Sometimes, those crappy jobs are what get you into that dream job.

Husband worked at state rabies testing lab cutting open heads, worked as a pharm tech on a military base, worked in a lab where his job was to make media and clean out tubes after testing (they were testing cow crap from feedlots for the prevalence of salmonella, campylobater, and e. coli -- smelled AWESOME!).

Those crap jobs got him his foot in the door with a big corp which led to where he is today.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
"Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
-John Wayne

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So exactly what job fields and/or jobs are Millennials unable to find in today's market? Are they unwilling to relocate? Is it a lack of specific job field experience? Literally every business in my town is hiring at nearly all positions. And I'm not talking min wage 20 hour a week jobs.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Settling for less is how you wind up with nothing. Figure out what job you want, then do what it takes to become qualified for that job.

And yes, I did exactly that. It may have taken over a decade of schooling but I work in a job I enjoy, that has upward mobility, is paid well, and is in the field I want to work.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Those aren't the jobs people are talking about. They're suggesting that working as a McDonalds cashier is somehow going to get you into a real job. So people should take the mcjob and not complain.

Just out of curiosity, how many years of working crap jobs did it take for your husband to get his current job?
edit on 22-1-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So exactly what job fields and/or jobs are Millennials unable to find in today's market? Are they unwilling to relocate? Is it a lack of specific job field experience? Literally every business in my town is hiring at nearly all positions. And I'm not talking min wage 20 hour a week jobs.

Non service sector, white collar jobs mainly.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have done more crappy jobs than I care to count, but now I am on the cusp of walking into one of those nice 6 figure a year, job security and nice benefit jobs, that will make my last chapter in the work force a nice one.

To many people now a days say, that's beneath me, or I don't want to, Or something similar that would make me as a prospective job provider going next please.. mmm maybe ill hire that older guy/gal that doesn't mind doing the detail work.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Why work a lifetime of crap jobs just to get a low 6 figure job at the very end of your career, when the first job in your life can pay 6 figures instead, and you can move up from there?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Settling for less is how you wind up with nothing. Figure out what job you want, then do what it takes to become qualified for that job.

And yes, I did exactly that. It may have taken over a decade of schooling but I work in a job I enjoy, that has upward mobility, is paid well, and is in the field I want to work.

Writing that off as "settling for less" is dishonest and you know it. What I'm talking about is working while you do all that to get yourself into your dream job. That's not settling for anything. It's being realistic and being an adult instead of whining about how it's everyone else's fault you can't get a job and thinking everyone owes you something. You have what you want and you're still complaining. Why? Because you couldn't get into that job as soon as you were done with high school? Grow up and realize how good you have it.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Why work a lifetime of crap jobs just to get a low 6 figure job at the very end of your career, when the first job in your life can pay 6 figures instead, and you can move up from there?

Working those crummy jobs while you're going to school doesn't lock you into those type of jobs forever. You're dancing around the fact that you just didn't want to work, not that you couldn't find work. If you had done one of those crummy jobs all those years you were in school, even part time, you wouldn't be looking for someone to pay off your student loan debt now. Or at least not as much of it. But, that wouldn't be the nanny state way of doing things. Everyone else should pay for your school right, even though you were fully capable of paying for it yourself and just decided not to.

The entitlement is so thoroughly brainwashed into you it's disgusting.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

First off, where do you find these miracle figure a year jobs right out of high school or college? I am curious... over next to the unicorn and liger?

secondly those crap jobs taught me how to appreciate what is in my life, I understand there is more to life than having the biggest bank accounts.

They also taught me how to supervise people, how manage projects in high stress areas, all of these are going to allow me to move up quickly in my new career path.

I have friends I could call tonight and say I need to dump a body, they would not ask questions just grab a shovel and say I know just where to go. I also met my wife on one of those crap jobs, we have been married 11 years and she is a woman to walk the mountains with and I am very blessed that she loves me as much as she does.

Lastly where I am going to be living a low 6 figure a year job is twice as much as I need to live comfortably, have land a nice house and take nice vacations yearly.

I have friends in Florida that make much more than I am going to, yet they cannot afford to travel around the world for vacation... mmm.

All in all I am a better person having worked at the bottom, than if I had been handed the keys to the castle at 24.

eta: Also if it is so easy to find these 6 figure a year jobs right off the bat, why are so many millenials struggling?

edit on 22-1-2018 by Irishhaf because: additional thought.

ETA: I also learned how to live on 30k a year with a house, so if my retirement goes up in smoke I know how to live frugally. (a skill many boomers are struggling with now)
edit on 22-1-2018 by Irishhaf because: additional thought.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Writing that off as "settling for less" is dishonest and you know it. What I'm talking about is working while you do all that to get yourself into your dream job. That's not settling for anything. It's being realistic and being an adult instead of whining about how it's everyone else's fault you can't get a job and thinking everyone owes you something. You have what you want and you're still complaining. Why? Because you couldn't get into that job as soon as you were done with high school? Grow up and realize how good you have it.

Any job that's worthwhile requires a minimum of 6 years education, most lean closer to 10. That's if you're going full time. If you go part time you double those numbers. The plan shouldn't include working at McDonalds for 12 years to support yourself while getting a relevant education.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Working those crummy jobs while you're going to school doesn't lock you into those type of jobs forever. You're dancing around the fact that you just didn't want to work, not that you couldn't find work. If you had done one of those crummy jobs all those years you were in school, even part time, you wouldn't be looking for someone to pay off your student loan debt now. Or at least not as much of it. But, that wouldn't be the nanny state way of doing things. Everyone else should pay for your school right, even though you were fully capable of paying for it yourself and just decided not to.

The entitlement is so thoroughly brainwashed into you it's disgusting.

I have no student loan debt. If I had worked instead, I would only be half done with an education rather than finished.

But yes, university should be free.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Any job that's worthwhile requires a minimum of 6 years education, most lean closer to 10. That's if you're going full time. If you go part time you double those numbers. The plan shouldn't include working at McDonalds for 12 years to support yourself while getting a relevant education.

never said I worked at mcdonalds (yes I realize that was not directed at me), military service... loved my brothers and sisters in arms but the jobs were largely crap jobs that taught me how to handle true adversity. So now I am looking at work where the hardest part will be working in an office dealing with office politics instead of the weather, your bosses, the supply chain and on occasion the bad guys.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join