It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gutierrez: Let Trump have wall in exchange for DACA deal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Who is deporting the DACA people, so long as they aren't breaking any other laws?

Gutierrez is complaining about a non-problem.

Build the wall, shut down chain migration, shut down the lottery, tell the Dems to pound sand. A lot of the 'kids' who are eligible for DACA are old enough to be eligible for green cards and/or naturalization.
edit on 21-1-2018 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: queenofswords

Yup I think he wants to spend more time helping Puerto Rico or something to that effect.

...which is another way of saying he has bigger $$$$$ in his eyes...I smell a scam in the works. (You know how those Dems are. Never let a crisis go to waste.)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrubdog

You might be surprised to learn that just because Schumer says something doesn't make it true.

The question asked just after the 1-min mark is about that and the account given here is decidedly different from what Schumer says happened in that meeting. Who's telling the truth? Who knows. But it's hilarious how some of you guys automatically believe what Schumer says was discussed in that meeting. Do you have a marble bust of him in your bedroom? Who says his account is any more accurate than the one presented here? And which is more likely? That Schumer gave in and Trump decided no I'd rather just have the government stay shut down for the hell of it, or that Schumer is being dishonest?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: face23785

The bipartisan deal that Lindsey Graham and Dick Durbin presented to Trump was a good deal for the Republicans and it gave the administration the $1.6 billion it was seeking for border security. (it also did away with the DV lottery and made the parents of DACA recipients ineligible for family-based immigration)

Despite his very public, deliberately publicized statements about how'd he'd sign a bipartisan deal put in front of him, "take all the heat," etc — Trump shot it down and had his #hole fit.

It was also reported that Schumer went to Trump at Trump's invitation and put "the Wall" (whatever that actually means these days) on the table. Things were looking good and then Trump nixed that too.

Trump is the holdup here. He made the DACA issue a crisis. The Democrats have been pushing a five-year CHIP authorization for a while and the Republicans deliberately avoided acting then so that they could attach a six-year authorization to a four-week spending bill.

The Trump admin/GOP manufactured crises for leverage.

To your point though, there's was funding for border security in the bipartisan bill and Schumer was apparently open to even more funding.

I'm sure it's pure coincidence and not bias on your part that you conveniently left out the fact that the compromise bill you're referring to didn't have enough support to pass. What Trump said was that whatever deal the folks in that meeting could come up with and send to his desk, he'd sign. The bill you're talking about didn't even have the support of everyone that was in that meeting, it didn't meet the criteria outlined by Trump in that meeting, didn't have enough support to pass the Senate, and didn't make it to Trump's desk. And no that's not from Fox or Breitbart, that's according to CNN.

Nice try at trying to make it sound like they gave Trump what he wanted so you could dishonestly shift the blame to Trump though. Your bias is showing. And you try so hard to present yourself as a straight shooter. Here's your sign.

Also, refer to the post above about the Trump-Schumer meeting. You really just believe anything Schumer says?
edit on 21 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
**I put this in Breaking Political News because it's related to the shutdown, which is still a very new story. If the mods feel it would be better placed elsewhere, I'll try to do better in the future**

Article

An Illinois Democrat appeared to soften his tone on the White House's border wall plan, so long that the DACA program is maintained, "Fox & Friends" reported.

Congressman Luis Gutierrez of Chicago said that he would be open to building a wall along the southern border if President Trump goes along with Democratic plans to protect 800,000 DACA recipients from deportation.

"I'll go down there with bricks and mortar," he said, however warning that he found the wall "offensive to me and people like me who come to this country."

On "Fox & Friends", Rachel Campos-Duffy said she gives Gutierrez a lot of credit for offering somewhat of a compromise, citing the 64-year-old's otherwise staunch opposition to President Trump and the White House's illegal immigration platform.

I rarely find myself in agreement with this guy, but he seems to be one of the only Democrats with a brain on this issue. The details are murky but essentially the deal offered is build the wall in exchange for letting all the "Dreamers" stay, except ones that have serious felony convictions. That's actually an excellent deal for Democrats. They get a ton of new Democrat voters in exchange for a wall that, according to them, won't work anyway, so what's the downside? The money is a fraction of a percent of the budget, and let's not pretend they're that concerned with government spending anyway. They also get a free talking point they can use in the 2018 and 2020 elections, pretending the wall is "racist" (because all immigrants are brown people, Democrats apparently think - talk about racist) and a waste of money and whatnot.

I don't see what their beef is honestly. It's almost like they don't actually want this issue solved. Either that or they're so trapped in this #resist mindset that they can't think straight and don't recognize an excellent opportunity when it's right in front of them. Anyone who really cares about these DACA recipients should be calling their Dem congressmen and telling them to wake up. The only downside for the Democrats is Trump gets a "win" on the wall. That's only really gonna help him with his base though, who are gonna vote for him whether he gets the wall or not. Swallow your pride and protect the "Dreamers" you say you care so much about.

Totally agree. Let Trump have his wall and the dreamers get in.

Politics is about compromise. Schumer is not leading. He should tell his base to back off and make a goddam deal

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Please explain how the tax cuts cost the government more money?by getting rid of your liberal programs,defunding them,by eliminating these trite expenditures will decrease debt,go back to school,when your not spending your saving,some should really get a damn job,the ignorance of everything is the new millenium way,why think? when you can get someone to do it for you

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
What the democrats say when they say Let Trump have Wall is not what you think.

The democrats will approve the building of the wall then block all funding for the wall.

The democrats approved 700 miles of the wall years ago but then never approved funding for it to fool the American people.

dailycaller.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: kurthall

Please explain how the tax cuts cost the government more money?by getting rid of your liberal programs,defunding them,by eliminating these trite expenditures will decrease debt,go back to school,when your not spending your saving,some should really get a damn job,the ignorance of everything is the new millenium way,why think? when you can get someone to do it for you

In every tax cut thread I was in I explained the tax bill is actually very unlikely to add to the deficit anyway because the numbers CBO used to calculate that it would "cost" $1.5T were ridiculous. As you pointed out already, it's not really a cost anyway, but even if they want to characterize it that way, CBO only assumed an average economic growth of 1.9% over the next 10 years in order to get that $1.5T cost. If you use all the same number but plug in a more realistic growth projection, like 2.4%, the "cost" is made up by the increase in revenue. It's all explained in the article I linked, and the math is actually fairly simple. However, every thread I post this in, the lemmings who were told the tax plan was bad refuse to read it, refuse to look at the math, and refuse to change their debunked talking point about the "cost" of the plan. They were told it was only for the rich, that turned out to be false, so they have to cling to something. They can't just admit they were wrong and got tricked by their masters.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
January 31, 2018

Anyone see him storm out of the State of the Union Address last night? Luis Gutierrez says this morning that he was angered by President Trump's "RACIST" speech.

www.rollcall.com...

He's a local embarrassment who does more to hurt Illinois than help it.
edit on 1/31/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join