It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown - Soldiers are being told that they will not get paid!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

In some cases I would say yes you are correct. However in this case I believe you are wrong and here is why:

The republicans hold the majority in Congress, both in the House and Senate. As the majority it is on their shoulders that they determine the bills to be voted on.

The majority determines the leader, and that leader represents more than just his or her constituents, but their entire party. Do you honestly think that the people that McConnell represents would want the military to not be paid, on a clean amendment? Do you think that they are so heartless?

The facts are that he was the only Senator who objected. He was not representing his constituents at that point, but the interest of the Republican party. By doing such, he can use such as a political wedge to get what he wants. If there had been anything else in that amendment, then it would have been objected to by more Republicans and the House would not have agreed to it. He was the sole person and ultimately has to bear the blame for the military not getting paid, and as he is the leader, then it also falls on the Republican party for that as well.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Obviously i twasnt the majority of the republican party if they all voted for it except him. SOrry he may be demed leader but they arent all in lockstep.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

True, but if they did not agree with him, why are they not starting to either speak out or send up signals to have him removed as Senate majority leader? That would be a clear indication that they do not agree with him and that his position is not as strong with them as it once was.

But they remain silent, which means that they do agree with him.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

True, but if they did not agree with him, why are they not starting to either speak out or send up signals to have him removed as Senate majority leader? That would be a clear indication that they do not agree with him and that his position is not as strong with them as it once was.

But they remain silent, which means that they do agree with him.

you can remin silent and not support someone. Ive doen th esame thing before. i stayed silent,but behind th escenes i was silently working on their downfall.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

If McConnell was not the majority leader of the Senate, then yeah, I could see that. But he is a Republican, and the Majority Leader in the Senate. In that position he is both a Senator from KY, but also the leader of the Republicans in the senate. And thus anything he does would reflect on the Republican party on a whole.

And while yes, they are remaining silent, however, that would not stop them from forming a coalition and ousting him from his position, there really is nothing in the rules that would prevent him from doing such, and they have done such before. So if they are not ousting him from his position and remaining silent, they are supporting his actions by they inaction and silence.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join