It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Admits Horse Meat In Their Burgers - Legal in USA - 'We ate some'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
First cows, then chickens, then horses. Next up, Solyent Green, as long as it's trendy and has a slick Super Bowl ad campaign.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Some of my best friends have been horses.

Guess I'm Kelt; the injunction against horsemeat is one thing that separates us from all those Europeans.

Maybe they are too far removed from agrarian life. As long as it comes in a plastic package, they assume it's moral to eat.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Are you a vegetarian?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Failed. Tryed again. Failed. Tryed again. I aspire.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Planette

Bull# DNA testing is what I see.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Let me know when they admit that their “flame grilled” burger is microwaved and I may pay attention.

Would you rather have sawdust or horse meat as your filler? Kangaroo? 3-D printed lab meat?

This why “from farm to table” is working. And why you should stay away from “fast” food in the first place.

Grow your own!

PS - I like their onion rings! I would put them on the burger back when I ate fast food. Heck, only kicked Taco Bell in the last ten years! Darn mj...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I tried one or two times. Failed. I do not eat a lot of meat in general, preferring fish, but I have had horse.

I get the cultural association and taboo, though.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Doesn't bother me, to be honest, but I do understand the link between pet animals and not wanting to eat them.

I had calves as pets as a child on my grandparent's farm. Plenty of pet piglets and bantam chickens as pets too. By that measure, I should abhor eating cows, pigs and chickens. I don't. The animals I've eaten were not my pets. The ones that were my pets were raised as show animals or breeding stock, or in the case of the chickens, for the eggs.

Besides, my anemia demands I devour steak. Lots of medium rare steak. Iron from veggies frankly just doesn't cut it. :p

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
We only want to save the cute animals...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I bet they just grow it in tubes a couple years.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Neigh way.

Whats next, Pea and Ham with Chicken? LoL

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have ate
Pork
Beef
Alligator
Kangaroo
Rattlesnake
Frog legs
Chicken
Bear steak
Deer
Hoover hog (yeah , look that one up)
Opossum
Squirrel
Rabbit stew
etc.
Now , I can add horse to my resume
Think I could make it on "Bizarre Foods" ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
the whole "horse meat bad" thing is just a cultural and personal preference thing. there is nothing wrong with eating it. just as there is nothing actually wrong with eating dogs or cats. personally i will not eat fish (other than tuna which i can tolerate), or dogs and cats. seriously seafood just like things such as liver, kidney, gizzards, and things like balut are just gross to me. i will even start feeling sick if i find out i have been eating (or to be honest if i think i might have) that type of stuff. on the other hand i love standard food animals like cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs, and the like. as well as things like squirrel, gator, bison and other meats.

the reality is your food likes are more based upon what you were raised on and cultural preference than anything else. heck even what an animal eats can affect the taste and if some people will like it or eat it. for example a squirrel that eats mostly berries and deciduous tree stuff are great. but if they eat a lot of pine type stuff, they develop a turpentine taste, which is nasty. so they supposedly put horse in some burgers? well if they do it hasn't bothered me, so go for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I remember on my first trip to Eastern Europe to meet my in-laws we went to a village where my wife's grandparents live. Upon meeting me they invited all of us to sit down for lunch. It was a thick rabbit soup. The rabbit was arguably the best and freshest meat I've ever eaten.

When I asked what meat was in the soup they said rabbit. I was like wow, back home I've never seen rabbit in the super market. Where do you buy it here? My wife laughed. Said silly, this rabbit is from out back in their back yard. She then showed me all the cages where they housed their rabbits.

And those rabbits were groomed for future lunches and dinner.

I then asked about how they killed the rabbits and her grandfather handled that. Did cross my mind it must be tough to kill such a cute little animal but hey, they killed what they ate. That was their way of life and the way humans have lived for thousands of years.

In the states we're largely separated from the killing part.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: watchitburn
Also, name one religion that forbids eating horses.

Name a religion that forbids eating humans. (as in the religious text, not just a modern "no..don't do that either" priest or imam saying so)

Lotta people have issues in eating things that are domesticated..be it horses, dogs, cats, or your pet goldfish

I've eaten all those critters you listed.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Having lived in Europe and Scandinavia, I've had horse meat in traditional dishes and it's pretty tasty. It's just as good as any other meat. Is it because horses are "cute"? Or that the Lone Ranger rode one?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Just for the record, that Islam answer is false. I don't know what denomination or school of thought that's supposedly from, but here's what the Qur'an actually says on the matter:

Qur'an 2:173, Pickthall translation

173. He hath forbidden you only carrion, and blood, and swineflesh, and that which hath been immolated to (the name of) any other than Allah. But he who is driven by necessity, neither craving nor transgressing, it is no sin for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

And if you note the last sentence, even those foods are permissible to us depending on the circumstances.

And here's a second passage (Qur'an 5:3, Pickthall translation):

3. Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swineflesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death-stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you as religion al-Islam. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Note that after mentioning the same things in the previous example, it describes forbidden methods of killing the animals. However, it once again says that we are even allowed to eat those depending on the circumstances (like when forced by hunger or against our will).

And there's a 3rd example in Qur'an 6:145-146, Pickthall translation, which touches on something important about your example:

145. Say: I find not in that which is revealed unto me aught prohibited to an eater that he eat thereof, except it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or swineflesh - for that verily is foul - or the abomination which was immolated to the name of other than Allah. But whoso is compelled (thereto), neither craving nor transgressing, (for him) lo! thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

146. Unto those who are Jews We forbade every animal with claws. And of the oxen and the sheep forbade We unto them the fat thereof save that upon the backs or the entrails, or that which is mixed with the bone. That we awarded them for their rebellion. And lo! we verily are truthful.

Not only does it mention the same examples as the 1st example, but it also includes the same circumstances where it's ok for us to even eat those examples. But ayat/passage 146 explains that God had previously placed harder restrictions on the Jews than what He just mentioned in the Qur'an. This is important because some Islamic denominations and schools of thought have adopted Kosher food rules since the Qur'an's examples are so lenient. I think this passage is meant to remind Muslims that those restrictions are NOT requirements for us.

So no, horse meat isn't against Islam. Some denominations and schools of thought may discourage it or even forbid it, but nothing in Islam overrules the Qur'an. And you just got to see 3 separate passages from the Qur'an just in the first 6 Surahs that would refute the info in the link you posted (there are 114 Surahs in the Qur'an). For what it's worth, I'd eaten all kinds of meats from alligator to deer before I became a vegetarian. And if I ever stop being vegetarian again, I want to try everything that's not forbidden in the Qur'an from shark meat, lion or tiger meat, some kind of eagle or hawk meat, whale meat, deep sea creatures, etc. But deer, antelopes, giraffes, and similar animals would probably stay off my menu just because they're my favorite animals and I see a majestic aura in them (not because of any religious reasons).

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Horse meat is part of the cuisine of countries as widespread as Japan, France, Germany, and Kazakhstan, but is taboo in some religions and many countries. It is forbidden by Jewish law, because the horse is not a ruminant, nor does it have cloven hooves. In Islamic law, horses are generally considered makruh, i.e. the meat is not haram (forbidden) but the eating of it is strongly discouraged. It is forbidden in Hinduism.
religion.wikia.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Is the veggie burger safe?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Why not just eat veggies as veggies why do you have to form it into a burger?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join