It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lebanese Army Mobilise After Assassination.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
-

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Target: Syria

The assassination of Rafik Hariri, the Saudi-connected billionaire, could have been carried out by any number of factions—from personal, business enemies of Hariri’s, Hezbollah, other Shiite factions, Syrian intelligence, Israeli intelligence, Iran and even some factions in Iraq. To believe that Syria did it—thus making itself is the instant target of U.S. wrath—seems ludicrous. More likely, to speculate, it seems that the murder was carried out specifically as a provocation to embarrass Syria and to provide Washington with a pretext to do what it wants to do anyway: Regime Change II.

sources:
uruknet.info
isreal.economy
the.left.coaster

it is very clear that the pressure is on syria now.
and it is only a matter of time, when lebanon, new-iraqi, isreal and u.s. forces,
start "rearranging" this part of the middle east too.

regime change number two

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Syrian motivations in this assassination are not "ludicrous."

On Tuesday, the Lebanese As-Safir newspaper published what it said were al-Hariri's last public words, said to reporters at a cafe outside parliament, minutes before his death.

"Mistakes have been made and are still being made," he said.

"I don't see that as being in the interest of the country. Everyone should realise that Lebanon cannot continue without an internal national accord and one with Syria."
english.aljazeera.net...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hariri resigned as prime minister in October after falling out with Syria over its role in extending the presidential term of Lahoud, his political rival.

He then joined opposition leaders in calling for Syria to withdraw its troops and stop interfering in Lebanese affairs, as demanded by the U.N. Security Council.
www.reuters.co.za...;:4213202f:5e80bf2fbb11f728?type=topNews&localeKey=en_ZA&storyID=7645228

The timing of his murder is significant, disturbingly so. Syrian control over Lebanon will be the biggest issue in the Lebanese elections due in April and May, and Damascus has made no secret of its determination to engineer victory for the pro-Syria lobby led by Mr Hariri’s rival, President Emile Lahoud. Mr Hariri’s departure from office last autumn was prompted by a bitter dispute over changes to the Lebanese Constitution, engineered by Syria, to give the President an extra three years in office. The Lahoud camp in turn accused Mr Hariri of instigating last September’s resolution in the Security Council, jointly sponsored by France and the United States, demanding that Syria withdraw its 14,000 troops, end its support for the Hezbollah militias and leave Lebanon alone.
Mr Hariri was assassinated as he returned from taking part in a heated parliamentary debate on the law governing the forthcoming elections. The symbolism will have been lost on no one. The intent was to strike terror into any Lebanese politician thinking of campaigning on a “Syria out” ticket. If this was the message, Damascus reinforced it yesterday. Syria called the murder “a criminal, ugly act” yet pointedly condemned “those who are sowing sedition in Lebanon” and exhorted the Lebanese to “reject any internal sedition or outside interference”. The “interference” Syria objects to, Lebanese are aware, is the increasing international pressure on it to match Israel’s withdrawal from Lebanon — a withdrawal that removed Syria ’s only excuse for being there.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

The strongest connection is with Syria. To willfully ignore in favour of a weaker explanation because it is "too obvious" is irrational. Also, no one mentions that Syria could have counted on propagandists casting doubt on its guilt because of the "too obvious" argument. If you want to play the indirect, convoluted reasoning game, you'll find that it goes in more than one direction.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Who benefits from al-Hariri's death?

Bushra al-Khalil, a Lebanese lawyer and political activist, told Aljazeera.net the plot against al-Hariri's life targeted Syria.

"The question is, who stands to benefit from his death? Syria's enemies. I think al-Hariri's death is part of the plan to divide the region into tiny helpless sectarian states. This plan has started in Iraq and it will continue to hit all other Arab countries."

“Al-Hariri was the guardian of stable Arab-Western relations. His success had pulled the rug from under the feet of the traditional godfathers of such relationships"

i think that with this assassination,
both syria and lebanon lost alot,
and i dont think that syria is so stoopid,
to put herself in this kind of "delicate" position, that it is in now.
it is just a new move in fragmentization of middle east,
and they famous "regime changes".

after all, lebanon has a long history of political assassinations,
carried out by who-knows-who...:

Rashid Karami, Bashir al-Jumail, Dani Shamun, Rene Muawad, Kamal Jumblatt, Hasan Khalid, Abbas al-Musawi and Rafiq al-Hariri ->
the list of Lebanese politicians and officials who have fallen prey to the assassin's bullet or bomb in the last three decades is a long one indeed.

source:
english.aljazeera

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
While I'd be happy to believe the CIA/NSA, etc. has got it's game back on, I seriously don't see any evidence of that as of late, and incompetence seems to continue to be the standard MO...sadly.

I seriously doubt they are behind this...

Mossad on the otherhand....now THAT's a pretty interesting angle...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Lebanon is looking at a plane that flew to Australia hours after the bombing.
The found traces of explosives on the seats.

I wonder if Mossad agents in Australia and New Zealand were involved in the Hariri bombing in Lebanon:

theaustralian.news.com.au
LEBANON is hunting six people who flew from Beirut for Australia, leaving traces of explosives on aircraft seats, hours after a powerful bomb killed former prime minister Rafiq Hariri.

"Six people left for Australia from Beirut airport a few hours after the attack and traces of TNT powder were recovered from the seats used by some of them," Justice Minister Adnan Addum said.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The first test for explosives residue by the Australian authorities has proven negative. Perhaps it was a red herring as suggested by another member of the forum:

seattletimes
The Lebanese investigation has gone as far as Australia. Justice Minister Addoum asked Australian police to investigate 10 men who left Beirut the day of the bombing after he said traces of TNT were on two passenger seats.

An Australian Federal Police spokesman said initial tests were negative. Australian police were waiting for a second round of test results today.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Fingers can be subjectively pointed at who did the assassination all day long, but that does not change what has been ignited in Lebanon. It is the end result that matters, not the cause. Simple 'cause and effect'.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
What Would Agent 86 Do?

Originally posted by Gazrok
While I'd be happy to believe the CIA/NSA, etc. has got it's game back on, I seriously don't see any evidence of that as of late, and incompetence seems to continue to be the standard MO...sadly.

No intelligence agency is perfect, and the public image of the U.S. intelligence community has taken quite a beating over the years.

If we were to believe everything critics say about them, we wouldn't consider these agencies capable of analyzing their way out of a paper bag.

But here's where I wave my skeptic's flag.

When people underestimate the capabilities of these agencies, who benefits?

They are not superhuman or godlike, but I'll tell you flat out that sometimes I'm forced to wonder.

So while I'm sure we can agree these organizations have their issues, I think it's important not to mistakenly believe their public image is as infallible a guide to their true competency as some critics seem to think it is.

To analogize: If I'm going to sit down to play a game of poker with you, I would prefer that you think I don't know diddly squat about how the game is played.

But by the end of the night, we'll both know just how well I can play the game.

I advise against “misunderestimating” U.S. intelligence capabilities, but you are, of course, free to do so to your heart's content.

Don't say I didn't warn you, though.

Drifting back toward the topic, it seems Syria is about to find out who's bluffing, and who's going to walk away with all the chips.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join