It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. withholds hurricane emergency loan for Puerto Rico

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

texas had a 10 billion reserve....

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Theprodicalson
Trump probably doesnt realise its part of the USA thinks Puerta Rica is a seperate "# hole" latin American country.

We need to clean house in all the s**t Holes. D.C. is the start and now add in the latest S**t hole...The State of California.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

DC is a class all it's own, if it's a sh...hole, then that is strictly on our federal gov't.. since they hold most of the power.
and I have to say, you seem to have a weird idea of what is sh..thole.. Mississippi is one of the poorest states in the union I believe, so much so that the federal gov't started a $20 million dollar blight elimination program this past may.
There's parts in the appalachians that would shock you. but ya, it's california with it's multi-million dollar homes that's the sh..thole...
why?? more than likely because you see them as far too liberal!! I do too, by the way, but still, not a sh..thole!!!

www.mmlonline.com...

edit on 20-1-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I'm betting you've never even been there. Maybe it is and maybe not.

No, not weird idea, at all. Personally, if forced to choose between Mississippi and California, I'd take the former. By the way, I've been to all fifty states.

At least Mississippi has an excuse. California had it made. Sickening what's been done to her.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Here you go...

ct.westernjournal.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This don't make sense. A billion dollars probably don't even cover our war machine for 1 day.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

US States have different options available to them that Puerto Rico does not since its a commonwealth and not a US state. The state government is able to do things financially that Puerto Rico cannot (like bankruptcy among other things). US States also can use state laws where as Puerto Rico is subject to federal laws.

Given the way Puerto Rico has been run over the decades it was only a matter of time before it collapsed in on itself.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

www.reuters.com...

That story nearly made me ruin my keyboard. It cracked me up on several levels.

The story wasn't clear on whether the governor alone can dip into that rainy day fund. If memory serves me it takes a meeting of the legislature to get at rainy day funds in Kentucky. Not familiar with Texas law. Calling a special session to spend money when money was already available for the need seems like really inefficient government.

On topic, it would seem to me that the same can be said of Puerto Rico. Their reserve is the fastest way to get things done. It's like the difference between writing a check for relief or taking a loan out to pay for it. If you truly want things done quickly you will write the check at the time of need and take out the loan (if required) when there is time to do the paperwork. Disasters are the reason every person and every government should have some reserve.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

www.reuters.com...

Correct. But if you dont get Houston's ports up and running no one gets gas.

Puerto Rico has no similar strategic importance. Maybe saline drip bags. But that isnt fuel/energy.

Brushing off the whataboutism, am i to assume you agree that with $7bil in hand the first place for blame for a lack of tarps to stave off leaky roofs is the puerto rican government?
edit on 1/20/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Brushing off the whataboutism, am i to assume you agree that with $7bil in hand the first place for blame for a lack of tarps to stave off leaky roofs is the puerto rican government?

no, not really, the tarps should have been delivered when the water and food was.... which also too far too long to get to many on the island.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

So what role does the local government have to play? Just stand there lookimg pathetic and do nothing?

Ships were in port waiting for PR to receive them. Should Trump have parted the Gulf himself? Where does the local government have any responsibility?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
where

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join