It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush is no more. RIP

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't get it. Im a huge classic rock fan but never could get into Rush....I saw em live once and do recognize the talent...

Its the voice I guess...not my style...

Van Halen is another band that everyone seems to like but I could never really get into...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

When you say classic rock, do you mean like real classic rock? Like Boston, Journey and what not?

Rush was more progressive rock, if I remember correctly. Stuck somewhere between jefferson airplane, zeplin and pop rock, lol.

For me it was the smoother side of rock. Rock with some very real meaning that sang to the heart and soul, I guess. It was very uplifting. It took bad moods and sad days and evened them out.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
One you don't hear many talk about, but I've always liked it, and it seems very good for this thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

When you say classic rock, do you mean like real classic rock? Like Boston, Journey and what not?

Rush was more progressive rock, if I remember correctly. Stuck somewhere between jefferson airplane, zeplin and pop rock, lol.

For me it was the smoother side of rock. Rock with some very real meaning that sang to the heart and soul, I guess. It was very uplifting. It took bad moods and sad days and evened them out.

yes, those bands....like Fleetwood mac, kansas, the who, Jimi, ccr, elton john etc...classic rock...rocks

Maybe thats the problem..Rush was a bit too pop for my liking...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I like all of those bands and RUSH.

The thing about RUSH was that their sound changed to fit the times they were in, but they were never truly mainstream either.

They were like that band that everyone knew a song or two, but very few ever went all in on them.

They changed their style without ever losing their core sound too. You could listen to something like Working Man or Closer to the Heart and then listen to Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, and Subdivisions and then change up to something like Roll the Bones without forgetting who you were listening to. Different styles? Yes, but still at the same time, without a doubt, the same band, and it wasn't because you could pinpoint Geddy Lee.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

100% agree
music is subjective and everyone feels different.
Neil is a monster but i would lean towards Vinnie Coliuta, Buddy Rich or Marco Minnemann.

my favorite thing about Neil is he was the lyrics man

and if we're going to be putting up Rush can we just get to it

they were not #ing around

i just lied to myself because i do care if i hear them again. now i have to listen to this
edit on 20-1-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
One you don't hear many talk about, but I've always liked it, and it seems very good for this thread.

Yes i's a good 'un.

It's a great nostalgia track from one of my favourite Rush albums.

One of the lines still haunts me, "Still we saw the magic was fading every year."

Geddy Lee wouldn't agree, however.

He once said in an interview that it was one of the tracks he wished he'd never done.

Embarrassed by it, apparently.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

La VIlla is my favorite instrumental of theirs.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

It's more blatantly about nostalgia than Time Stand Still, but they're in the same vein. He likely prefers Time Stand Still.

I like that line though about magic fading every year, and it was exactly the one I was thinking of when I posted it. That's when you retire -- when the magic has gone.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I was listening to Moving Pictures a couple weeks ago. It was on repeat, so maybe five or six times through. I do love Red Barchetta but the one that I still love to play and listen to is Vital Signs. They said that was their hardest track to play because of the sequenced keyboards, time signature changes, and tempo based delay on the guitar.

We had a drum book that basically had the drums all written out. We spent hours step writing in most of Moving Pictures. We played YYZ all the time! Yeah, the album made a huge impact on me! I like to think that I got to jam with Neil all the time!

Here is a great article I found while on my listening binge. Guitar World, May 2009: Rush: Vital Signs.

And the video...

Rush - Vital Signs

The reggae aspect is usually overlooked. I played this for my buddy and that was his first comment! He said something like, "I didn't know Rush had a Nu Reggae song! This is pretty cool!"

Enjoy retirement, Rush!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join