It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is marriage the last legal form of slavery?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Been married for 42 years, neither my wife nor myself are slaves to each other. I can do whatever I want and so can she, but as in all cases, there are consequences to actions. If I wanted to screw around or constantly buy $10k guitars and amps, well, it's going to end in divorce. If she wants to screw around or spend money constantly on restaurants or trips for herself, it's going to end in divorce. Compromise is not slavery, it is putting the needs of a pair or group above the wants, it is or should be the equitable division of responsibility and authority in the case of marriage, I think. But what do I know? None of this is real anyway :-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yep, it's the behind the scene contract you don't want to sign ...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Edumakated

Marriage "should" be a partnership. There we agree. There it ends.

In history, women were chattel; or, like in India and around the world, women are traded for money, goods or services.
They had no choice in their future. Do you watch "Game of Thrones?"

Biologically and economically women need the protection and support of men to safely raise their children. Even with modern times and women in the workforce, women are not nearly as compensated equally. In divorce, women and children still need economic and emotional support-some would say more than men because when he leaves he doesn't usually take the children or continue to provide a stable homelife.

You are also forgetting divorce and child support are very hard on women; who are usually the ones who must struggle to make money and raise the children alone-that is the most likely scenario.

Inequity? Sometimes.

This guy just doesn't want any responsibilities to others-at all. What a guy. He's not alone. Alot of deadbeat dads he can befriend since he really doesn't want to be too tied down with a woman.

But women are worth their weight in gold. They don't get much for us guys because we aren't worth anymore than the work we can do.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
a reply to: Plotus

The only thing we've learned four pages later is:

1. Marry or you'll become alone for life: Emotional slavery, abandonment anxiety is a reason for people to become enslaved in a relationship.

2. People who don't marry either don't just get it, or are stupid, or are just not as educated as married people are (to quote yourself -"Your education on the subject may be a work in progress ad infinitum..") ; societal pressure to get married, you may loose friendship with your peers who "all" are getting married/children - societal slavery

3. People marry for financial reasons, like health ensurance, being able to buy nice food and cars, stable income even though one looses job etc (safety of companionship); financial slavery

4. People marry for emotional blackmail reasons like "want children, then marry me first", or "you want sex, marry me"; relationship slavery

5. People marry for an easy and steady access of safe sex; physical slavery

6. People who don't marry are selfish (to quote yourself -"What your struggling to describe is something else, a selfish or self life..") ; again, societal pressure to get married, you may loose friendship with your peers who "all" are getting married/children - societal slavery

7. Marry for religious reasons; god will punish if not - religious slavery

8. Then you have the lovey dovey anecdotes of people being married for X decades and being so happy, but talking about compromises. Your wife don't like something, tune it down / change your personality.

-MM

JEEPERS, Did I say all that
Wow, that's some talent reading between the lines. Too bad this isn't the 'Mud Pit', just saying.

Really sorry you are so unhappy.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ok, I didn't write any of those, others did, but you suppose I support every proclamation there ? I have a moral compass as many do here, that suggests that the institution of marriage is good, honorable and sacred. If you choose to view it otherwise..... well then, do so.
edit on 20-1-2018 by Plotus because: never argue with a contrarian.... and, misery enjoys company, maried or not...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Who said I was unhappy. It was a summary, your quotes are there too.

-MM

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Frankly you have wasted enough of my time, actually I did it willingly, as a hope in bringing some measure of dialogue of a positive nature. I am through. No insults, no arguments, Bu Bye....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Ok, I didn't write any of those, others did

Oh yeah? Here are the links to your two quotes from my post:

1. "Your education on the subject may be a work in progress ad infinitum.."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

2. "What your struggling to describe is something else, a selfish or self life.."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-MM
edit on 20-1-2018 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Frankly you have wasted enough of my time, actually I did it willingly, as a hope in bringing some measure of dialogue of a positive nature. I am through. No insults, no arguments, Bu Bye....

Frankly, all your posts contained insults and wasted MY time. You never wanted to provide your "opinion", that much was clear from the beginning - only "answers" bundled with prejustice and insults as the quotes above clearly proves. Don't act all high and mighty with me, I'm smarter that and I will expose you with links to your quotes as I have just done above.

-MM
edit on 20-1-2018 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You don't have much esteem for yourself; that's sad. Thought you sounded happily married. Bitter? Yeah, you sound bitter.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: rickymouse

You don't have much esteem for yourself; that's sad. Thought you sounded happily married. Bitter? Yeah, you sound bitter.

Let's see, when I got married, I had to wait for the cat to die to gain seniority.

Bitter....definitely not. I just have been taught that power is shared in the family by the married couple, we each have our sayso about certain things. She never complains about my tools and workshops, I keep my nose out of what she does. I do do a majority of the cooking now though, I can create some great tasting food with my knowledge of food chemistry. My knowledge was not only obtained from scientific articles, I also researched agriculture, plant chemistry, and the processes used by our food suppliers to treat foods to insure their freshness. I had to learn how to neutralize the chemistry somewhat to cancel out toxic effects.

I am a COMT ++ genetically, I can make anything I set my mind to interesting to me. I can make shoveling manure an interesting job if I try.
I don't break down dopamine well. That means I can enjoy even the worst of jobs.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It can be. I lived it with my ex. Some are so unscrupulous that they will use any situation to take advantage of their significant other. For example, you have children together. And your partner knows that you are loyal to a fault, will believe anything they tell you because you ‘trust’ them.

I was an alpha male. Years went by and unbeknownst to me, I had been converted into a beta male provider. I couldn’t see it, until I got out. Some will take advantage of anyone they can get their hands on.

I blame her for being that low of a person. I blame me for not seeing it sooner and getting out. Mairriage should only happen after you have lived together for many years. Only way to really know someone.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Imo, the last legal forms of slavery are personel income taxes (Imo, only foreign corporations should be taxed) & the loss of purchasing power of the dollar through a debt based fractional reserve monetary system. The dollar has lost @ 85% of its value since we went off the Gold Standard in 1971, when the US went bankrupt. It now takes the income of two people to raise a family, instead of just one. This was helped by the woman's independence feminist movement, which was created to double the tax revenue of the government. It also has a negative impact on relationships/marriage & has produced many lonely cat ladies.

Marriage in a religious sense is 2 people joining together as one. Marriage in a non-religious sense is the transfer of property to a spouse/children, once one dies, or through divorce via a matriarchal court system.
edit on 21-1-2018 by JBIZZ because: Addition/correction

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Am I the only one that feels this way?

yes

read a dictionary and see that the 2 words describe different things

I just don't want to get married. Why? Because I intuitively never liked the idea of anyone sort of "owning" me through marriage and telling me what to do - I want to be a free man.

so free yourself, marriage doesn't imprison one, ignorance does.

I'm interested in opinions but not answers. There are no answers, only opinions.

So why ask a question?

There are answers when questions are asked.

Do people really choose?

everything is a choice.

Yes , people really do choose, it matters not what the consequences may be, a choice is always available in the reality we live in.

What I'm saying is that the societal pressure to get married may be a greater influence than many realize or want to admit.

this is very true.

However it doesn't dismiss that a person always has a choice.

To me, marriage is more like a cancerous growth.

So have you had a cancerous growth to compare with the marriage you haven't had?

Or are you looking at other people marriage?

You must be, yeah I guess some marriages could be seen or compared as slavery in , the atmosphere in the lives of those is that of fear like a slave has with their master.

But this is based on a marriage by marriage case.

The reasons for marriage also play a part in how it turns out to be.

Is marriage the last legal form of slavery?

NO, but it sure can be perceived that way when looking at marriage as a whole and not looking at the reasons for each individual marriage and why its considered a slave relationship or a loving marriage where both parties are equals.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

And you sound like you have a rather angry,bitter attitude to the concept of marriage.Why would i want to go off somewhere for a year anyway,i have 3 children,2 darling baby grandsons also,and i enjoy being with my husband.Our marriage is happy because we treat each other rather well and have a lot of laughs and fun,and fascinating conversations about metaphysics,politics,world affairs,paranormal,etc etc.

You seem to have the idea that because my husband is easygoing and doesn't view me as a live-in servant,our marriage is some weird arrangement and i am some strange person who would consider just taking off on a whim for a year as if my husband and children and grandchildren don't matter to me..so strange the way you see things.

edit on 23-1-2018 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join