It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government is Shutting Down at Midnight

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

They have it all and couldn't do it. It sure sounds like the dems are actually in charge here.
Who knew...

Clair Mccaskill just requested the military continue being paid and benefits for soldiers continue and Mitch McConnell said nope. Talk to me tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Not only that, there happen to be a very large amount of enlisted military personnel who happen to have ceased having an income.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Everybody is working overtime this weekend house and Senate.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Willtell

Schumer gave him his wall. He still said no. This is the TRUMP SHUTDOWN!

The responsibility rests with the leader. It always does. He can't do this job.

No, this a case of (D) eating their cake and wanting it too. They opposed NOTHING in the bill, they were greedy children and wanted more. They would have filibustered had (R) secured enough votes, and that's why certain(R)INO's said no publicly. It's all PR and it's all bullchit.

We know you hate the orange guy, but we also hate when you deny ignorance and vehemently promote it.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Why would DACA cost as much as CHIP?

Er what does it even cost?

Didnt CHIP expire months ago and the GOP have been kicking that can down the road and are now blaming the DEMs for their failure to take care of it before?

You mean like DACA?

CHIP still had funding, until an hour ago.

Democrats want babies to die.

IDIOT CNN let their countdown clock hit 00:00:00 and then begin counting up. It's now been 1hr-3minutes-51seconds since the government shut down.

I honestly can't believe how stupid people are being about this, RINO's included. Everyone saying this is the (R) fault because they have the majority are all clueless. (D) decided to take a stand and value illegal immigrants over American citizens. Even if (R) secured 51 votes for passage, the (D) would have filibustered, putting (R) in an awkward position to use (D) tactics to override the filibuster, but also come out looking bad from it.

It's fawking childish bullshat, these are elected leaders and quite frankly as a person that contributes to their salary, I'm sick of looking at it all and thinking that grandpa and grandma are acting out worse than the damn grand kids. And grandma and grandpa represent our country to the world. THAT is what is embarrassing.

There were alleged threats of filibuster... but I still haven't heard who would do it.

Democrats are spineless as hell... would they have truly done so? There were several Republicans who voted no as well.

McConnell didn't want to try normal proceedings, it seems. In fact, McConnell voted no as the last vote.

51 votes is plenty to pass a bill.

Getting to the point of being able to vote on passage or consideration is where filibuster can come into play. If the bill was considered, then it may have been filibustered, and we would know who the guilty parties are.
edit on 0Sat, 20 Jan 2018 00:29:39 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Clair Mccaskill just requested the military continue being paid and benefits for soldiers continue and Mitch McConnell said nope. Talk to me tomorrow.

Paid with what? Promises? There isn't funding, that's what happens, but I wouldn't expect an autumnwitch working in a retail store to understand that. The military just got paid on the 15th though so as long as the shutdown doesn't exceed 11 days they will not be affected.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Yeah ten years from now when they talk about this shut down nobody's gonna care who was in the house or Senate they're gonna remember who was president.
Those are your boys own words. The issue needs to be fixed from the top. He needs to lead. All he cares about is what he wants. That's how people are going to remember this.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

There were a few (R) that knew they couldn't secure a 3/5 vote to avoid a filibuster so they pandered to their base by opposing. All it would have taken is one (D) to filibuster, and I promise you one would have. Then (R) would be faced with using the (D) playbook of 'nuclear option' while setting dangerous precedent.

Like I said, not a single (D) opposed this bill, they just wanted more so instead they said a big FU to American citizens.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Stop assuming I'm a Trump supporter, I just simply call out your ignorance, and it's honestly not very hard, you spread it everywhere.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I remember when Jimmy Carter was President in 1976 and the government shutdown with a Democratic House and an overwhelming majority in the Senate. Do you remember that? Do you want to? They were arguing about abortion.

Actually I don't remember it, I had to look it up. I was not born yet.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: pheonix358

Not only that, there happen to be a very large amount of enlisted military personnel who happen to have ceased having an income.

Military (and maybe all govt employees) gets paid on the 1st and 15th.
militarybenefits.info...

Hopefully the shutdown will end before the next payday.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Um, so this isnt even about the national debt ceiling which is the usual obligatory "government shutdown" posturing circle jerk?

No.

McConnell didn't even have the votes in his own party to pass the legislation with a simple majority, despite majority control of the Senate. Some things were added (like CHIP which had already expired) to entice Democrats to vote for the CR. Enough Democrats indicated they would cross the aisle to vote for the CR for a simple majority vote.

However, this is the Senate, and Senators can debate a single question forever, and they can do this twice per question per legislative day. This structure allows the filibuster to exist, which was once literally talking about somethig forever, but is now something Senators just say they are doing so the Senate can conduct business.

Invoking cloture limits this otherwise unrestricted time, and is the only means of forcing that when trying to pass a bill, but requires 3/5ths of the Senate. This can thus be used to overcome a filibuster.

Normal proceedings means nobody filibusters, and bills are considered or not, then debated until all Senators that care to talk have talked, and finally bills are voted on.

There were alleged threats of a filibuster, so McConnell held a vote to see if there were enough to invoke cloture.
There were not.

This purpose of this vote I'm slightly unsure of as I missed it, whether it was invoking cloture preceding debate / consideration, or whether it was the consideration vote itself.

However, McConnell voted against it, which meant it had 50 votes to 49 , and did not pass simple majority - so I suspect it might have been for consideration.
edit on 0Sat, 20 Jan 2018 00:46:22 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Military is considered essential. They don't shut down. Trump was exaggerating the effects on the military funding. He was wrong like he so often is. Maybe they'll have to pay more for groceries as the PX will be closed.

You do know there were dems who voted for the bill and GOP who voted against it right?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well Good!

I'm sick of the Republicans saying: "Do it our way - - or do it our way".

link   

Active-duty troops, as well as Guard and Reserve members, would not get paid during a shutdown unless Congress passes a separate piece of legislation to do so. That means if a shutdown starts Jan. 19 and stretches into the next several weeks, troops' Feb. 1 pay will be delayed.

Newly bereaved family members would not receive the Pentagon's $100,000 death gratuity during a shutdown or military-funded travel to Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, or elsewhere for the dignified transfer or military funeral or memorial. Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI) payments, however, would not be affected.

www.military.com...

He was wrong like he so often is.

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
You do know there were dems who voted for the bill and GOP who voted against it right?

Wow the lies flow off your tongue with no effort.

Name one.

link   

a reply to: Greven

There were a few (R) that knew they couldn't secure a 3/5 vote to avoid a filibuster so they pandered to their base by opposing. All it would have taken is one (D) to filibuster, and I promise you one would have. Then (R) would be faced with using the (D) playbook of 'nuclear option' while setting dangerous precedent.

Like I said, not a single (D) opposed this bill, they just wanted more so instead they said a big FU to American citizens.

You say that, but Democrats are spineless fools. Threats are not actions, and I want to know who specifically made a threat to filibuster. Paul was one of the Republicans who opposed it, and I wouldn't put it past him to filibuster the bill.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

Why would DACA cost as much as CHIP?

Er what does it even cost?

Didnt CHIP expire months ago and the GOP have been kicking that can down the road and are now blaming the DEMs for their failure to take care of it before?

I distinctly remember seeing Hatch and Wyden on tv announcing that a compromise on CHIP and an associated program had been reached. This was back in the fall, when the expiration date was approaching. September maybe? So I was surprised when CHIP was brought up in this shut-down talk. I don't trust any of them. Why is McConnell saying the funding ends today when actually it ended last year sometime.

One thing I've noticed is that they could readily agree to an extension of the spying bill , retaining governmental power over citizens but when it comes to things that might actually bring a benefit to citizens , they act like they can't agree on anything. Funds to the military/industrial/spook complex seem to just flow like honey from the hive in August. Could that be because both parties are heavily invested in their stock? Poor children don't vote or make campaign contributions so the funds move more like molasses in January.

If it would do any good I would lead a pitchfork march on Washington. Tar & feather them and ride them out of town on a rail. Leadership of both parties. They are all incompetent, petty and dishonest.

Edit: I didn't dream that compromise agreement. Here's a link I found announcing it.
www.modernhealthcare.com...

Here is another from December when the question of a shut-down came up and whether DACA would be included. All this was supposed to be done before Christmas!
www.cnn.com...

CHIP has always been a nonpartisan program---now both sides are attempting to weaponize it. It makes me sick.

edit on 20-1-2018 by diggindirt because: addition

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Jimmy Carter was an abortion. He should have stuck to peanuts. My first election was voting for Ronald Reagan.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
All negotiations to reopen the government need to be televised live, just like that meeting where Repubs/Dems/Trump sat around the table and negotiated like reasonable leaders of this country.

They seem to lose that civility when voters can't watch them work.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join