It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Gov Shutdowns Since 1976 = 1 every 4 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I agree completely. It's ridiculous to see that these 17 and 18 year old kids can't even save money while being shot at, but some guy gets paid $100M to chase a ball around a field for 5 years.

Plus, they gave the military a nice pay raise that they cannot spend, for a while anyway.
Some kind of appeasement when they knew this crap was going down.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Planette

"Like clockwork, that's 1 shutdown every 4 years, or presidential term."

I think this due to some legal arragement to do with the how the US govt and states are private corporations. Anna Von Reitz writes a lot about this.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Once it warms up people are going to riot like last time.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

And it's the FIRST in our entire nation's history that a shutdown has happened under a ONE PARTY controlled government...

This is what I don't understand. Obviously our stateside cousins do politics a little different to here in the UK (I don't recall the UK Government ever shutting down, for instance) but I thought a shutdown happened if the Reps and Dems couldn't come.to an agreement but if it's a one party government how can their be an impass that leads to shutdown?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
An outsider's point of view;
These stalemates have been built into the American constitution, as recent history shows. If they are a flaw, you must blame the Founding Fathers.
In any sensible system, a government that could not get its budget through the legislature would cease to be the government, giving place to one that could.

P.S. This particular stalemate could have been avoided if the Senate had been banned from amending or rejecting financial bills.
edit on 20-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
(I don't recall the UK Government ever shutting down, for instance)

Any UK government that cannot get a budget through resigns or calls a fresh election.
We've also got a constitutional convention that the House of Lords cannot interfere with finance bills.

Another factor may be that M.P.'s are under a stronger party discipline, making them less likely to vote against their party leadership.
edit on 20-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

And it's the FIRST in our entire nation's history that a shutdown has happened under a ONE PARTY controlled government...

This is what I don't understand. Obviously our stateside cousins do politics a little different to here in the UK (I don't recall the UK Government ever shutting down, for instance) but I thought a shutdown happened if the Reps and Dems couldn't come.to an agreement but if it's a one party government how can their be an impass that leads to shutdown?

the answer is they really do not have control of the government, as most people would understand the term to mean. they do have a slight majority in numbers. yet they do not even have enough seats to pass this if every single Republican voted for it. so how can that be considered control?

the big problem is democrats wanting something included that really has nothing to do with the matter at hand. there really does need to be a law that everything they need to vote on is only a single concern. not combining things into it that really have nothing to do with the matter that is supposedly being voted on. in this case the democrats are in fact holding the budget hostage to try to keep their illegal alien pets, an issue that really has nothing to do with the budget. this is a completely separate matter that needs it OWN voting, separate from any other matters. it is this slipping unrelated matters into votes that is actually the cause of pretty much every shutdown, and not actually things that really have to do with the budget. the matter of abortion, has been a constant thing that has stopped several budgets from being passed. such issues need to be voted on, on their own. and if there re budgetary parts to said things then they should be voted on before the budget, to be included in the budget. or be stuck voting such things into the budget later after it gets passed.
edit on 1/20/18 by Hefficide because: Fixed BB code error

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It word through threats of heavy punishment if the Soldier fails to continue working without pay. I remember when this happened while I was on active duty.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
S&F.

I found this quite interesting.

I don't think this is a partisan issue its a national issue, its not a right vs left issue. Its sad because at the end of the day this is someones medical treatment that is at risk.

Seems to me like this is a mess that has been building over years over successive governments that has been getting worse with nobody wanting to fix it.

I think for a outsiders point of view something that strikes me is that we don't see this happening in other developed countries were they have something called a "government shutdown" I know that American governance works differently to other states but even so, seems to me that is a sad state of affairs when this is happening in the most developed nation on earth.
edit on 20-1-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
And it's all nonsense of course they've raised the debt ceiling limit over 70 times, so what's the point of having a moving ceiling? For that matter why do they even collect taxes?? They could just print up whatever they need and end taxation.

Because the concept of a debt ceiling is completely nonsensical. The US is the only country that has one, and it's not even something our government is supposed to have. It exists because congress is too small relative to the size of government.

Constitutionally, the House is supposed to approve purchases the government makes. Originally, that meant they had to approve every single item, not budgets but items. Come WW1, the scale of the purchases meant nothing was getting done, materials requests were eating up 90% or more of the Houses time, and government ground to a halt. So they came up with another system, where each department would have it's own budget and the House would approve batches of money. That still wasn't enough though, so they came back and did the same thing for total federal spending. Now they approve spending up to a certain level of debt, and the various departments with budgets spend that on what they deem necessary.

We are the only nation that does this. Every other nation simply takes on debt or prints money as needed and they don't have a will they/won't they fight every few months over if the debt will continue to be serviced.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Republicans are too fractured to lead, they simply don't know how to govern. They spent 10 years as the opposition party, and that's all they really know how to do, and all they were prepared to do. Now that they're expected to govern, they can't do it because they have too many internal factions that are ideologically opposed to each other and they're no longer uniting over opposing the party in power but instead trying to push their factions agendas.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This system is broken. We have a political party holding the federal government hostage with blackmail...

No wonder we still burn fossil fuel... We are idiots stimulated by material and being told what we think we want by more idiots...

So in order to get the lights back on in D.C the other political party has to help pass a law that would give the other political party millions of future votes.

In the meantime none of this help the people these idiots are governing, and the people are to busing working, stealing, or begging to have the material they think they want because that is what they are told to do, yet the walls of the house are coming down lol.

Let’s not fix the door folks. Let’s just take the hole house down..

I am shocked this American government we call the federal government is still operating like this. IDIOTS.....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
And it's all nonsense of course they've raised the debt ceiling limit over 70 times, so what's the point of having a moving ceiling? For that matter why do they even collect taxes?? They could just print up whatever they need and end taxation.

They have to battle hyperinflation, inflation, deflation and stagflation. If some people start having lots of spare cash floating around, they aren't as careful as they would normally be if they were poor. Then prices of things like house prices, rents and consumer items start going up. Imports also start increasing. If the imports are matched by exports, that is good, otherwise it creates a trade imbalance and starts devaluing the currency. So the government just raises taxes and lending interest rates to take away that "surplus money". The opposite can also happen. Too little money exchanging hands and prices start to devalue. Then salaries start of all or remain static and the economy remains stagnant or stagflation. The only way out is then to try and put more money into the economy through "quantitive easing"

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Deleted
edit on 20-1-2018 by Buvvy because: Started new thread

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I don't think it works that way in the EU, from my understanding individual nations cannot print up debt in their own currency.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Yes but see all those arguments are for central planning. In a free market, all the participants individually make choices on net that resolve macro issues.

We get all these distortions simply because modern economics thinks it can model the economy and then control it for optimization but in reality it's controlled to benefit a few people.

Look at the growing wage and wealth disparity in this nation, all t he money is flowing into fewer and fewer hands. That's all a product of central planning.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yall are all crying over nothing. This always gets solved , people get their money, life goes on. A debt ceiling is a good thing. It brings attention to Johhny public "I don't care until it affects me" to wake up and see who needs to be voted out. All the Senators that voted no need to be voted out, simple as that.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag
a reply to: FamCore

It word through threats of heavy punishment if the Soldier fails to continue working without pay. I remember when this happened while I was on active duty.

Therein lies that paradox of what is important in the eyes of those in power.

In the business world, in IT for example, the heavy hitters are empowered to fix insurmountable problems, and are rewarded heavily for their efforts. In contrast, our military soldiers, who stand between us and a bullet in the brain, get treated like an expendable, ignorable commodity that can be retroactively appeased once the "danger" is over, and then everything will be ok.

It's not ok, and never was.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Republicans are too fractured to lead, they simply don't know how to govern. They spent 10 years as the opposition party, and that's all they really know how to do, and all they were prepared to do. Now that they're expected to govern, they can't do it because they have too many internal factions that are ideologically opposed to each other and they're no longer uniting over opposing the party in power but instead trying to push their factions agendas.

So have the Dens stepped in then? Sorry I haven't got in t to ask sooner, phone troubles....

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Dems are currently an opposition party, the most politically successful strategy when an opposition party is to say that you can lead if you're given power, but that you can't do anything until the voters help you out.

I don't believe that to be true, but that's the best way to rally a base to give you (more) power.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join