It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epsilon-3 Rocket launch photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Just came across these, and after the "Norway Spiral" and more recent Space-X launches generated so much interest here, it only seems right to post these:

Source: spaceweathergallery.com

On Jan. 18th, the Japanese space agency JAXA launched a small rocket from the Uchinoura Space Center. It made a big display. Japanese artist and photographer Kagaya captured dramatic images of the rocket's exhaust glowing in the starry pre-dawn sky over the Pacific

Source: spaceweather.com

All I can say is these have to be the most amazing images of a launch I have ever seen!
edit on 19-1-2018 by FireballStorm because: tried to fix pics

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FireballStorm

Stunning images. Very unique.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Very cool! Almost looks like an artist's rendition
excellent photo's

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

YouTube - Kagaya = Launch of a Epsilon-3 rocket

That link is from the Spaceweather.com story.

OMG that is so cool!! Thanks for the share!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Cool! What kind of propellant is that thing using ?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Thank you all for your comments!

TEOTWAWKIAIFF - Thanks for posting the footage. I was going to post it myself, but it's been one of those nights with lots of things coming at me from lots of angles. I still have not watched it myself!

originally posted by: bluemooone2

Nothing that unusual it seems. In a nut shell, I think it's just the water vapor that usually accompanies the exhaust, forms crystals which have iridescent colours when the sun light hits them at the right angle. Perhaps the solid-booster aerosols played a part too, whatever they are!

Shortly after the launch, noctilucent (night shining) clouds were seen over a broad swath of western Japan as ice crystals forming in the rocket's wake caught the rays of the rising sun. These clouds occur naturally around Earth's poles, but they are very rare at lower latitudes such as Japan's. In polar regions, noctilucent clouds are seeded by specks of meteor smoke, which become frosted by naturally occurring water vapor drifting up toward the edge of space. Over Japan, the ingredients were provided by JAXA: water vapor in the rocket's exhaust mixed with solid-booster aerosols to create the display.

Source: spaceweather.com

Edit: After watching the footage, it's clear that those big blobs of colour (if you are referring to them?) are nothing to do with iridescence. Hopefully Jim will pop in and give us some ideas!

edit on 19-1-2018 by FireballStorm because: Hit send too quick!

edit on 19-1-2018 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2

It's a solid-fuel rocket. Those spectacular trails are created by water condensating on the exhaust particles. It's basically like plane contrails, but in near-vacuum.
edit on 20-1-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

What I'd like to know is what created that purple and blue trail. It's definitely not water. Looks like ionised air.
edit on 20-1-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

What I'd like to know is what created that purple and blue trail. It's definitely not water. Looks like ionised air.

That is *the* question. I agree it looks like ionized something, but "air"? I'm not so sure.. You'd expect plenty of air to be ionized if it was a very fast moving object like a meteoroid, but with a relatively slow launch, and the way the coloured clouds have spread out so much, my bet is that it's more connected to what is emitted by the exhaust.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Breathtaking and beautiful. Stunning as well. To wintess something like that must be awe-inspiring. I hope one day to see something like this.

top topics

join