It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook opens special ‘Russia portal’ to help safeguard US democracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

From what i've witnessed, Facebook users are like the Borg. If a few of their friends say something, then the rest follow the herd whether or not they agree, but to fit in with the crowd. If you step outside of that inner circle, you're treated like you're out of touch. It's the strangest thing when you take the time to analyze how people react. The results given once the herd leader outs you is anger, discontent, lack of civility, ignorance, and snobbery by said followers.

It's amusing to watch.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

So true, have few people that don't want to talk much because I don't use it and it's not like there's other means to talk from the net or use a phone for long distances. It's getting creepy really.

With the OP It's CIAbook, of course they would. If Zuckerberg didn't comply he'd have gone the way of Aaron Swartz. They are playing the same games that Russia does with controlling media, can't have another country override their own control.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I have yet to hear a solid reason how Russia seriously messed with the election.

By "solid" I do not mean some ridiculous memes or wild rumors.

If FB is now putting forward defense against nothing, well, that is a win-win for them. They have to invent nothing to defend against nothing and they can call themselves wonderful by "looking out" for people.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Its as if they're projecting. Afraid of being caught like the kid with his hand in the cookie jar so they point at someone else to divert the attention away from themselves.

The whole thing is stupid and predictable, everyone knows it, the transparency kills.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

It's a social club for most people. On the one hand it's good media exposure, on the other, it's a club for people to gossip amongst each other about stupid # that doesn't matter. That's what ATS is for, people with something real to say, if I were to take what i believed and discuss here, there, well lets just say most people who frequent FB aren't as open as they are here about events like UFOlogy Politics and things like that.

The Psychological aspect of FB is bewitching, and it messes with people's heads on a totally different level than we've been used to as a Society.
edit on 19-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

I have yet to hear a solid reason how Russia seriously messed with the election.

By "solid" I do not mean some ridiculous memes or wild rumors.

If FB is now putting forward defense against nothing, well, that is a win-win for them. They have to invent nothing to defend against nothing and they can call themselves wonderful by "looking out" for people.

All Russia had to do was influence enough people to flip 77,000 votes in THREE key battleground states. 77,000 people tipped the electoral college for Trump.

EASILY done via an influence campaign....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Maybe i am getting old and didn´t get all the news, but i thought that till today nobody is forced to be a member of facebook. Did that change?

Or is it still the same thing like before, on a voluntary basis, to spread all of your data around the web, via facebook and co? To let mega corporations like facebook change your mind, your thoughts, your behaviour. Still everything totally on voluntary basis, am i right?

Then i don´t know if one should have any sympathy for mega corporations social media victims. Which are not forced to become users of those spying platforms, yet. Sane people warn, since the beginning of that social media stupdity, about the dangers of that crap. If the self-exposers don´t want to hear the warnings, let them go down the drain with that disease.

I would call it natural selection!

edit on 20 1 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
You know, facebook can do that if they want. Always good to know who the Xenophobic warmongers are in the world.

Still waiting on them to stop tacitly promoting Islamic terrorism by allowing Syrian terrorist groups to open groups on their site though.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So any special portal to safeguard other states from American interference?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

If it was so easily done, why didn't the DNC make it happen? The Russians? Really?

An influence campaign. What do you think elections are? Nothing more than giant influence campaigns. If your mojo is so good and worthy, why fear the dastardly Russians?

Nope. Not buying it.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Keeping in mind the CIA has programs that allow the users IP address to show from anywhere in the world they want it to.
Russian collusion? no problem!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I remember having the fight with my family over a decade ago about Facebook.

Have never registered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join