It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox host: You can’t blame Dems for shutdown when “you’re in charge of everything”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

What ground have we made, you ask?

Do you not see the swamp draining?

How are lasting, impactful changes supposed to be made if the same old corrupt pieces are still on the playingboard, mucking things up behind the scenes?

Is this what MAGA looks like, you ask?

No, this is what a sausage being made (swamp drainage) looks like.

In time...

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Republicans have a 51-49 majority in the Senate, but with Senator John McCain undergoing cancer treatment at home in Arizona they need at least 10 Democrats to reach the 60 votes required to pass a spending bill.

This is why the Dems are to blame, IMO. There is no rule that states they must have 60 votes to pass a budget. They can pass a budget with a 51-49 or even a 50-49 vote. What they need, however, is for the Dems to simply vote "no" but opt not to fillibuster the vote. Something which used to be SOP for Congress... you registered your disagreement with a no vote, but let democracy do it's thing and the voice of the majority of constituents was given the higher ground outside of the rare contentious issue. Nowadays, anything that can be fillibustered gets fillibustered.

Hell, considering the Dems already nuked the fillibuster in theory and set precendence, maybe the time has come for the GOP to pull the trigger on the whole mess and completely end the fillibuster once and for all. It's not like the Dems won't do it the next time they have the majority, so why should the GOP play nice?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
The gop is the party of its always everybody else fault that we are so terrible, its good to see there fans think the same way.

Go Team.

Challenge: Show me even one instance of a major Democrat leader accepting blame or responsibility for something the Dems did. I'll wait.

Oh noes i got challenged, wow, seriously you should know by now i do not waste my time replying to your absurd post.

Is this where you say your winning or something?

The op is about the gop and not being able to accept when they are wrong.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Perfectenemy

Ooohhh, such angst against people who want to be citizens who are also tax paying and law abiding. F my feelings? You’re the one whose post is chock full of feelings. That said, I wish them all the best but my feelings aren’t hung up on them. But, don’t worry about the military, they’ll be fine. You are worried about sailors, airmen, marines, and soldiers, oh yeah the Coast Guard too, you’re worried about them getting a paycheck right? What exactly about the military has you so up in arms?

Also, where do you go for your news?

Yeah i'm siding with the people who applied for american citizenship the right and only way. I don't care about any dreamers like i said there was plenty of time to make their residency permanent the legal way and they didn't care. Now they have to face the consequences. That was part of Obamas job to make it easier for them was it not? Btw they even lied about the amount of dreamers. There are roughly 3 million instead of 700.000. So much for the Democrats transparency.

Who cares which media i trust? Either way it's wrong and i like to think for myself. The usual MSM like CNN,NBC,MSNBC and the rest is not on my list.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
No, you really can't.

But on Thursday, Shepard Smith, who has been notable for debunking the Trump camp’s fake talking points, cast a light on the GOP’s cowardly strategy of passing the buck for an impending shutdown.

“Back in Washington, there is one discussion: government shutdown,” said Smith. “Of course, with one party in charge of everything, a government shutdown will not happen, right? I mean, never in the history — at least modern history — of the country has there been a government shutdown when a single party is in charge of Washington.”

The last time the government shut down while under the control of one party, Jimmy Carter was president. The government shut down five times between 1977 and 1979. But Democrats then proceeded to lose the White House and the Senate, so this example hardly bodes well for Republicans.

shareblue.com...

Here's the video:

It's been a year gone with a GOP majority Congress and a Republican administration - Trump, in the Whitehouse. What ground have we made? Well there's those nifty Tax cuts for the wealthy elite and corporations. They achieved that. There doesn't appear to be much else so? And now we're facing another potential shut down. It seems Republicans can't escape a history of shutting down government. 2013 was the last recorded event when the GOP shut down their majority held congress. Before that, 1995 and 1996 again with a GOP majority held congress. 1990 can go to the Dems under H Bush.

With all the above said, Dems are taking part in the shut down due to disagreements. But this is normal, for two different parties not seeing eye to eye. Still it's not a good look for a party and administration holding such control over DC already. They can't seem to get much of anything moving.

Is this what MAGA looks like? A deal maker and leader can't made deals and lead his party? He was elected for this wasn't he?

Umm..Yeah...Watch and learn, my sweet, watch and learn...
Somebody bouts to git took to the woodshed.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If its not put to vote the filibuster argument seems premature

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Having a simple majority used to equal being "in charge," but in this current era of nothing which can be fillibustered not being fillibustered, neither party is actually "in charge" unless they have a supermajority. Very sad to see that happen. Amazingly, while we've gone from a majority meaning something to only the supermajority meaning anything, we've also managed to go in the opposite direction where actual congressional actions are concerned... with everything being negotiated between 3 or 4 Democrat "leaders" sequestered with 3 or 4 Republican "leaders", usually embracing some catchy nickname like "the Gang of 8" and then demanding their party members adopt whatever resolution comes out of those undemocratic sequestrations.

Ultimately, each American can blame whoever or whatever they individually wish to blame if the government shuts down. Personally, I'll credit the GOP for giving us a brief amount of peace and quiet if a shutdown occurs and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it lasts as long as possible. Who knows, perhaps Americans would see that the world won't end, the apocalypse won't begin, and the economy won't even blink and more of the voters will open their eyes to just how bloated and needless much of the federal government really is?

You realize "this current era" still is talking about Republicans, right?

Please list the legislation Democrats filibustered this year.

Do you recall the tax cuts? That was passed with 51 votes.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

But dreamers want to become citizens. Without this program, Trump's rampart attack on immigrants will send them away and they'll never become citizens. If you support people becoming citizens why are you against the Dreamers? That doesn't make sense at all. This country is founded on Dreamers. You wouldn't be here otherwise.

You're mad about Democratic transparency? Well, I hope that same anger applies to Republican non transparency as well.

You can think all you want but I'm curious where you get your news from. Why are you so defensive about that?

One last thing, again, what is your hang up about the military exactly?
edit on 19-1-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Teeheeeheeeheee.

Such blind delusions.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This thread started out and has continued to be a game of finger pointing, as is tradition on ATS these days. No real discussion, just bickering back and forth endlessly. You're not doing these boards any favors OP, you're just as guilty as the ones you accuse.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

This thread started out and has continued to be a game of finger pointing, as is tradition on ATS these days. No real discussion, just bickering back and forth endlessly. You're not doing these boards any favors OP, you're just as guilty as the ones you accuse.

The OP is making the boards lively with his/her freedom of speech. The last thing this board needs is hall monitors.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Good to know you seem to against the Bill as well.

CHIP goes South for a while too.

And we know DACA has zero to do with this short term funding.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You're welcome to continue sitting fences where you feel safe Enlightened. I don't care either way, I really don't.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The 10% not wholly owned and controlled by only 6 multinational corporations

Doesn't change the facts.

The fact Trump has expanded surveillance programs or increased drone usage and bombings abroad or favors killing net neutrality has nothing to do with the news source it's coming from. Take the news source out of a picture and these facts stand by themselves. This excuse of blaming the media is pathetic, it really is. It's a real easy and simple way to escape reality and criticism against Trump.

What sources should we trust? Funny that members here are reluctant to answer this question.
edit on 19-1-2018 by Southern Guardian because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Teeheeeheeeheee.

Such blind delusions.

And how perpetually each side accuses (projects onto) the other that which it does itself.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

And how there's always someone to signal their virtue and hypocrisy. Perpetually.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Washing DC logic

In 2013, it was the republicans fault for the government shutdown.

In 2018, it is the republicans fault for the government shutdown.

It is always the republicans fault because the democrats never do anything wrong and their potty smells like rose pedals.

And they are just super magnificent with ninja powers.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: SirHardHarry

And how there's always someone to signal their virtue and hypocrisy. Perpetually.

Oh, nice talking point words. Here's a mirror.

The hypocrisy is accusing others of that which you do yourselves. Notice in my previous reply I said "each side," meaning both.

Nice attempt.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

The gop is the party of its always everybody else fault that we are so terrible, its good to see there fans think the same way.

Go Team.

Challenge: Show me even one instance of a major Democrat leader accepting blame or responsibility for something the Dems did. I'll wait.

Oh noes i got challenged, wow, seriously you should know by now i do not waste my time replying to your absurd post.

Is this where you say your winning or something?

The op is about the gop and not being able to accept when they are wrong.

So I take it you agree you're wrong as you couldn't answer the simple question.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Excellent argument. Articulate and succinct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join