It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do you all feel about whitewashing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i ask because i just read this

www.huffingtonpost.com... aine-godmother-lifetime_us_5a60d9cce4b062a7df0bdcf2

Catherine Zeta-Jones Is Whitewashing A Role That Could Be Played By An Actual Latina

Catherine Zeta-Jones is neither Latina nor Hispanic, and yet the Welsh actress is set to portray Colombian drug lord Griselda Blanco in Lifetime’s original movie “Cocaine Godmother.”

random twitter comment

Was driving and saw this billboard and said the myself, “Nah, this can’t be real. They couldn’t find not one Latina to play this role?” "Oh yes. Let’s let get our Welsh friend Cathrine Zeta Jones to play a Colombian drug-lord."

Totally disgusted that Catherine Zeta-Jones is playing Colombian Griselda Blanco of Medellín Cartel infamy. @lifetimetv couldn’t find a Latina actress?

how do you all feel? is this a big deal?

i am of the opinion that it sounds like a bunch of bull# to me because we are talking about actors here. as in playing other people.

i dont get this outrage. could this part have gone to a latino lady? sure but why does it have to?

know what i mean?

in all movies we have someone acting like someone else.

this is not the first time people have flipped over it either.

i know people were pissed when Joel Edgerton played Ramses in Gods and Monsters.

people were not pissed when Ben Kingsley played Ghandi.

what about when Cate Blanchett played a young Bob Dylan?

i just dont get this is a problem.
interested to hear replies

people were not pissed when Pacino played Carlito
Anthony Hopkins played Zorro

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That's why they call it acting. I have no problem with it. If that's who they want for the part, that's who they want. This is another one in a string of so many "created problems". If they want someone else to play the part, get some money and make their OWN film.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's ignorance, not to mention racism. There are whites (spanish, german ancestry), mestizos, blacks, arabs, and Amerindians. Whites and Mestizos make up 86% of the population.

Demographics of Columbia

What would we call their aversion to South and Central American whites, brown-washing?
edit on 19-1-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
They should Eva Mendes play the role

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Catherine Zeta Jones actually looks a lot like the the person she is portraying.

The only one I am pissed about is why can't they get a better James Bond, so tired of Daniel Craig.
I grew up with a tall dark and handsome James Bonds!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Meh, its Huffin-n-puffin, its click bait where they're constantly downing white people.Its what they do.....another example of white privilege in their heads!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

ignorance and racist?
really

i dont see why a latino person has to be played by a latino.
its #ing acting man.
its kind of the point

edit on 19-1-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
people tend to dig Joel Grey as Chiun in Remo Williams.

so why is it accepted sometimes and not others.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

ignorance and racist?
really

its #ing acting man.
its kind of the point

No, I mean there are white latinos, especially in Columbia. I mean it is ignorance and racist to say Catherine Zeta Jones cannot play a latino because she is white.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

ignorance and racist?
really

its #ing acting man.
its kind of the point

No, I mean there are white latinos, especially in Columbia. I mean it is ignorance and racist to say Catherine Zeta Jones cannot play a latino because she is white.

gotcha
i was going to edit my post but decided not to. i read your post a couple times and really could not tell how you felt.
probably has a lot to do with me just being in a # mood at the moment and my # is all off.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

ignorance and racist?
really

its #ing acting man.
its kind of the point

gotcha
i was going to edit my post but decided not to. i read your post a couple times and really could not tell how you felt.
probably has a lot to do with me just being in a # mood at the moment and my # is all off.

Doesn't bother me any. I'm very happy to clarify my remarks.

Yeah I do not get why a Welsh person cannot play a Latino. They had a British person play Martin Luther King. No one complained. This reeks to me of identity politics.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
No one cried about it when she played Elena in Zorro against Antonio Banderas.

She may be Welsh, but she certainly looks the part unlike what you usually think of when someone decides to call it "whitewashing."

Care for a little Mongolian style John Wayne?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i think citing examples from 20, 30, and 50 years ago and how it was fine then it perhaps not the best way to make your point.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The worst, I think, was Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. That was pretty racist.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ummm...Uh Oh...the ghost of cultural appropriation rears it's ugly head...

Whatever shall we do...slay it...?

GOD...
Forbid those that are not quiet brown enough in the eyes of some...from ever portraying any slightly more tanned individual...
Get thee a browner personage...post haste...

Thus I command thee...

And it was so...even unto that day when...all...were once again of the same tone and shade...

And accent...and inflection...and temperament...and thought...and...

Thus the days of men were come to an end...behold...before me stands but an singular hermaphroditic androgene of even tone that is quite pleasing to behold...I think I will name thee...Adam...

Or is that thought train a little...too circular...?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

So?

Are you going to tell me that Zeta Jones was unconvincing?

There was a reason why I used her example against Wayne's. Wayne was thoroughly unconvincing and a classic example of what I would consider a "whitewash." Zeta Jones, on the other hand, looked and sounded exactly like the character she was supposed to be.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm Asian and I thought it was hilarious,
I think Steven Seagal is much much worse, as he really thinks he is Asian!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

how do you all feel about whitewashing?

I don't think about or worry about such things. It is a contrivance built to divide and distract. Now, I could take issue with the fact they could have used a more attractive actress.

edit on 2018/1/19 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: fiverx313

So?

Are you going to tell me that Zeta Jones was unconvincing?

There was a reason why I used her example against Wayne's. Wayne was thoroughly unconvincing and a classic example of what I would consider a "whitewash." Zeta Jones, on the other hand, looked and sounded exactly like the character she was supposed to be.

she's a fine actress. i'm sure she'll perform capably in the role. and yours was not the only post i was responding to -- while i love joel grey, watching him play an 'asian master' at this point is just painful. people used to be okay with mickey rooney in breakfast at tiffany's, too.

to me the point is not that the actor is not capable of playing a nuanced role even from a different culture, but that there are many actors who are of the ethnicity who are passed over. i think it would be good to give roles like this to ethnic actors, to give them the work and increase the visibility of actual actors of color.

i don't think a lifetime movie is the hill to die on for this particular issue, but it's an overall part of the picture.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Where was all the rage and anger when they let Samuel Jackson play Sgt fury..

For you kids,Google Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos..

Personally I don't care... but the fake outrage displayed by some is ridiculous to me..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join