It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you support Obama’s GM food labelling law?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Then please show me some reliable data proving that more than 42,000 American deaths per year are directly attributed to GMOs. Remember, you're the one who said it's worse than our opioid crisis. Conjecture and anecdotal accounts mean nothing.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yes actually it does.

I've put up my sources, put up yours.

If it's Natural News or anything like that this conversation will end.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting replies folks

It seems the general consensus is positive towards labelling and informed consumer choice.
So is this something Obama did that has cross party support?
Will Trump scupper it? Can Trump scupper it even?
As I said in the OP we've had labelling for years in the EU enforced by government, and the only parties against labelling are the GM sellers. They know that people overwhelmingly buy non GM when they have an informed choice.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Nice way of framing it.

We present science to back up gm technology and everyone else presents feelings and opinions mostly based on pseudoscience and conspiracy theories.

But the overwhelming consensus is the CT and pseudoscience?

Your priorities here illustrate just how bipartisan and common scientific illiteracy really is.
edit on 20 1 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I'll admit I refuse to buy GM food because I consider possible unknown long term effects which science may not know yet.
I've got nothing to support that except for gut instinct.
But that is the beauty of labelling, it gives me the choice, and while we do not need GM food to survive in the UK I imagine I shall never choose the GM product when I do my grocery shopping.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Yes actually it does.

I've put up my sources, put up yours.

If it's Natural News or anything like that this conversation will end.

Give me a break Ive been here long enough not to use quackery like natural news, I'm a qualified horticulturist I have reasonable idea of what I'm talking about when it comes to plants.

Ok so selective breeding is slow process off removing unwanted characteristics from plants and replacing them with the characteristics we wants, as was shown in the link you posted a few pages back, the example of the watermelon is a good one as it shows what a watermelon looked like before it was selectively bred, same goes for corn, I believe when they first found corn it only had one or 2 kernels, today we have a whole cobb, that took many years of breeding to reach that point.

In the process of selective breeding, first the individuals with specified desirable characteristics should be carefully selected. Then the controlled mating should be done in order to obtain a population with the desired characteristics. This is very effective if the two verities have homozygous genotypes. Hybrid between two separate species is known as interspecific hybrids while hybrid between separate varieties of the same species is known as intraspecific hybrids.

Our modern franken foods however have had foreign genes literally injected into them to create a hybrid of sorts and there simply is not enough known about the long term effects of this

• Natural breeding takes place in selective breeding while artificial breeding takes place in genetic engineering. In the selective breeding, it only selects the parents considering their traits that allow them to breed on their own, but in genetic engineering, the genes are being transferred.

• To make GM plants or animals, the genes must be isolated from different organisms. This step does not take place in selective breeding.

source

If you are not happy with the source I can find many others....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Our modern franken foods however have had foreign genes literally injected into them

hmm - by my conservative estimate - in the last 24 hours - i have consumed whole cells from :

4 species of animal

17 species of plant

so thats the entire genetic material from > 2o species - and thats only the ones i could be certain i has consumed whole cells .

i am curious as to just why anti GMO proponents are so paranoid about ingesting genetic material from 2 different species - in the same cell

when - a healthy balanced diet consumes cells from sevrerl species in the same meal

can you explain ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

can you explain ?

No, until there is evidence how can I qualify an answer .

We will know once enough studies have been done, however in the mean time if you don't mind I will choose to avoid them as best I can.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

edit on 20-1-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

i have to wonder - why you evaded the question i actually asked ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i have to wonder - why you evaded the question i actually asked ?

I'll answer if it's okay with you.
I'm not anti GM per se, I just won't eat it because I don't know if there will be any long term effects, and so long as Britain clearly labels it I continue to have that choice.

I'm against the growing of GM crops in the UK because of potential cross pollination issues with our natural crops. It is why I and thousands of others destroyed test crops in the 90's/naughties. We were successful as well because the government told the companies they had to pay for their own security instead of relying on tax funded police. The companies simply couldn't make it cost effective because private security in the UK can't even carry sticks and sheer numbers of people won the day.
Crazy isn't it that a generally unarmed populace can overcome big business. There remains no commercial growing of GM food in the UK and any test crops are destroyed by activists as and when they are discovered.

I'm more than happy for US citizens to be the crash test dummies for GM food, and I suppose in 20 odd years if there are no ill effects then I'll probably try some.

But right now I don't have to because the government enforces labelling to give me a choice. The only people unhappy with labelling are the GM food sellers because as soon as people see "Contains GM ingredients" on the package the overwhelming majority of folk put it back on the store shelf.

I love having that choice, and as the OP indicates I believe US citizens should have the same informed choice we have in Europe.

edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: spelling

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

sigh - you too failed to answer the question

it wasnt difficult

want a second attempt ?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

sigh - you too failed to answer the question

it wasnt difficult

want a second attempt ?

Lol, yes of course

I can only answer for myself but I avoid it because it is unknown if there could be long term effects by altering genetics artificially and ingesting the food product.
It's not paranoia either, my foodstuffs are labelled so I merely choose non GM.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

oh aFFS - thats 3 " responses " that either failed to read or failed to comprehend the actual question

the politest thing i can say is :

it shows the level of anti GMO " thinking "

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

What changes when you selectively breed plants?

Oh that's right, GENE EXPRESSION.

Gene expression is what gives plants and animals their unique characteristics.

When you selectively breed you're CHOOSING which gene expressions are favorable and which are not. However, this is not accurate as a technique, whereas modern genetics FIRST identifies which genes control the expression of a certain trait and then it is turned on or off.

Other methods include actual editing of the gene itself using cas9 proteins.

Its the difference between WW2 carpet bombing to hit one target and the use of JDAMs today.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

oh aFFS - thats 3 " responses " that either failed to read or failed to comprehend the actual question

Lol sorry, maybe ask the question again in a single sentence?
I'll do my best honest

Go on, phrase a specific question to me in a single non flowery sentence and I'll give you a specific reply. I usually enjoy reading your reasoned arguments but I'm not sure now what your question really is.
I've given you full and honest replies about my personal stance regarding GM though.
edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final paragraph

Question back at ya, are you against government forcing business to advise consumers that food contains GM ingredients?

That's a succinct question

edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: asked question

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I'll admit I refuse to buy GM food because I consider possible unknown long term effects which science may not know yet.
I've got nothing to support that except for gut instinct.

It's only been studied in one form or another for 10,000 years.

Modern genetic manipulation has been around and extensively studied for 42 years; GM research has produced more than 3000 studies. None of which have ever found harm done to humans barring a few that peer-review discredited-and true to form- became the studies the antis latched onto despite being biased, outright falsified, or misrepresented by media interests entirely.

The good thing about science is that it discovers truths that are independent of your gut feelings, your emotions, your Beliefs.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

So do you disagree with enforced labelling?

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

And science has never turned out to be wrong?..please.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No, it just shows my thinking, and I may be wrong of course.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join