It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you support Obama’s GM food labelling law?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
GMO is good.
if you dont agree then you dont know what GMO's are.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Authoritarian?

I'm not making laws. Making and asserting authority makes one an authoritarian.

I propose to not do that. Scientifically speaking, there is no difference between a GM food and its 'organic' counterpart.

Those all-natural Fuji apples were selectively bred, a form of genetic manipulation that is FAR LESS PRECISE than modern genetic modification.

A GM apple is an apple.
edit on 19 1 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Exception...obviously not the same. One can take the seeds from an organic heritage apple and begin to grow their own mini apple orchard. The GMO apple is purposely created so that you can not grow your own food...leaving you dependent on them.

Edit add: Obviously, not a concern for many urban dwellers. My point is if it is not naturally duplicatable from the seeds, it is defective naturally. So, yes, we should have detailed labels.
edit on 1 19 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

edit on 1 19 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I support if for 2 reasons.

One, people must make the corps show what they are putting in processes and "natural' foods.

Two. The coprs don't want to label, that is a good reason to label.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

There is a difference though, firstly as the member below your post points out gmo foods are seedless, not only that but many are these round up resistant types that have slightly altered genes to make them resistant which means we are ingesting more glyphosate, personally I find it authoritarian to not be allowed the choice .

Also science is constantly changing as we learn more about it, what may be considered good science now may be turned on its head in 10 years time, living in the profit driven world means there is a good chance the science has been manipulated to benefit corporations pushing their products.

Also what we eat literally affects our health and our quality of life, so personally I'm for labelling and freedom of choice.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I prefer both GMO labeling and "place of origins" labeling. It won't necessarily prevent me from purchasing the product, but I still like knowing where my food comes from and what's in it.

Years ago, I was much stricter with an anti-GMO stance. I'd intentionally go out of my way to reduce my consumption of them. But as I've gotten more into urban gardening, I've started appreciating the need for highly productive strains of fruits and vegetables. Our gardens are still non-GMO and we don't use pesticides either, but I certainly understand now why so many farmers prefer them. They also can play a vital role in any plan to end world hunger (which is one of my hobbies).

I'm more worried about the additives and pesticides than if the product contains GMOs. I'd also prefer long term testing of GMO products, like what you mentioned.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Which GM foods?

Next, the complaint will be about cross contamination.

Either they don't produce seeds or they do.

Some don't, some do. It depends on what they are for and how the farmer intends to apply the technology. But there are no commercial terminator seeds. So it's a moot point.

Source

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Exception...obviously not the same.

Not an exception:

The rule.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
GMO is garbage.

It's worse than the opioid crisis.

Sell it as drought resistant, bug resistant, etc.

The reality is it's a massive hostile takeover over the the countries
farming ground.

They are salting the entire earth, and providing the only seeds that will grow in salt.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Exception...obviously not the same.

Not an exception:

The rule.

There is a big difference between gmo and selective breeding.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

In 2016, more than 42,000 American deaths involved opioids (HERE). Saying that GMOs are worse than the opioid crisis is preposterous.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Yes there is.

One is accurate and one is not.

Which is what I've been saying....

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Yes there is.

One is accurate and one is not.

Which is what I've been saying....

I'm missing your point, the article you linked is discussing selective breeding but saying its genetic modification...

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Considering no deaths have ever been recorded from the consumption of GM foods

For those that need sources:
Please follow the source material as well

Peer-reviewed scientific studies have concluded that there is no evidence that organically produced food is any safer than food produced by any other method of farming, nor is there a clear nutritional bonus to eating organic. Further, there is no evidence that genetically engineered foods currently on the market pose any human health concern or that they are any less safe than those foods produced through traditional breeding. "To date, no adverse health effects attributed to genetic engineering have been documented in the human population" (US National Academy of Sciences, Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects, 2004).

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Selective breeding is genetic modification.

Selective breeding is a method of changing the characteristics of an organism. Those characteristics are controlled by the organism's genetic code.

Selective breeding is a shotgun.

Modern GM technology is like a handgun.

Then there are technologies like CRISPR which is closer to a laser scalpel in relative terms.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I am not as anti-gmo as I am anti-chemical-resistant gmo.

Not only does the herbacide get used in place of manually "weeding" the fields, they often flash spray the crops directly with a high dose to kill the crop, and dry it faster and so it doesn't mold in the drying stage.
This is done to make more money, not improve the food quality, like they sell it as.

Then it's in our meat and veggie supply.
Then we drink it on it's way to kill the Gulf.

It's pretty gross really.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You aren't accounting for, and there ard no studies connecting the effects of bathing the planet in poison.

Through your foods, out of your tap water, into your toilet, and back to your mouth. Literally.

It's like a giant circle of cancer.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Dp
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

You aren't accounting for, and there ard no studies connecting the effects of bathing the planet in poison.

Through your foods, out of your tap water, into your toilet, and back to your mouth. Literally.

It's like a giant circle of cancer.

I assume you're talking about glyphosate.

Glyphosate

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Selective breeding is genetic modification.

Selective breeding is a method of changing the characteristics of an organism. Those characteristics are controlled by the organism's genetic code.

Selective breeding is a shotgun.

Modern GM technology is like a handgun.

Then there are technologies like CRISPR which is closer to a laser scalpel in relative terms.

That's not quite right and this is where the confusion lies, selective breeding does not involve adding foreign Material (DNA) to the plant, hence why gmo is referred to as franken food. You are right that selective breeding is a form genetic modification, however unlike it's counterpart it is not harmful.

ETA. When I get in front of my computer later I will explain in more detail with some links.
edit on 19-1-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join