It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want a Government Shutdown

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

True, but dems are nuts for Pandering to a bunch of illegal lawbreakers and open borders lovers. this is just a really bad idea. They now look like the party of anti-Americans.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrubdog

I said the democrats changed the rules first to confirm lower court judges.

I am absolutely right.

But no one pushed the proverbial button until 2013, when then-Majority Leader Harry Reid invoked the nuclear option to lower the 60-vote threshold to 51 for approval of Executive Branch appointees (such as Cabinet secretaries) and federal judges below the Supreme Court (such as for U.S. Courts of Appeal).

Reid justified the move by citing unprecedented obstruction from Senate Republicans, but members of both parties lamented the precedent it set.

Last week, Sen. Chuck Schumer, who took over for Reid as leader of Senate Democrats, said he regrets going nuclear four years ago. Of course, Schumer could just be saying that now that he’s in the minority, since there are plenty of clips of Reid and McConnell opposing the nuclear option before they supported it.

www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 19-1-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I find this amusing.

"we need to prevent the fake news making this look like it's republican's fault"

"you need 60 votes to pass this legislation" (cites fake news as source of filibuster incoming"

So wrapped around yourselves you couldn't find your asshole without a map.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

The illegal law breakers were brought here as children they had no choice in the matter.
Don't you know what the dream act is?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eshel
I find this amusing.

"we need to prevent the fake news making this look like it's republican's fault"

"you need 60 votes to pass this legislation" (cites fake news as source of filibuster incoming"

So wrapped around yourselves you couldn't find your asshole without a map.

I find people amusing that can listen to every politician and media outlet discuss the dems being able and wiling to shut this down but still pathetically argue they are not threatening a filibuster.

I didnt say fake news did, I?

I said they will spin the news of what is happening to blame the republicans.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Opinions are like...
Oh never mind.

Like trying to teach a pet rock to fetch.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Okay what ever.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Trump didn't sign. Who's really holding this thing up?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'm still waiting for names. Which Democrat(s) is/are going to filibuster?

At this point, all Democrats need to do to 'block' the legislation is... not vote for it.

Republicans don't have the votes to pass it alone.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just had a thought............what if 3 reps vote no for this bill and all the dems change thier minds and vote yes? Hmmmmmm.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I believe that this is the first time that congress has threatened a government shutdown unless the government agrees to NOT enforce laws that were passed by congress.

immigration laws were passed by congress, correct?
and now some members of congress are threatening to hold the American people hostage until the government agrees to NOT enforce the immigration laws that congress themselves passed.
I`m pretty sure that`s not how you legally get laws changed in a democratic republic.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I believe that this is the first time that congress has threatened a government shutdown unless the government agrees to NOT enforce laws that were passed by congress.

and now some members of congress are threatening to hold the American people hostage until the government agrees to NOT enforce the immigration laws that congress themselves passed.
I`m pretty sure that`s not how you legally get laws changed in a democratic republic.

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join