It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want a Government Shutdown

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

If Republicans are so inept that they can't fund the government with even a simple majority vote, and then that's on Republicans.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Grambler

Then the republicans should stop whining and do the deal.

Do you realize how incredibly foolish this sounds?

There is not one thing in this budget proposal that the democrats arent for.

Yet they are willing to vote against positions they favor because they want more.

Imagine if dems were in control, and the republicans wanted a budget that increased military spending.

so the dems say ok, here it is.

Then the republicans refuse to sign it, because they want Obamacare repealed too.

So the democrats say ok, fine here is a budget that increases military sending, and repeals Obama care.

The republicans then refuse to sign it, saying they wont until abortion is made illegal.

Are you really going to tell me that you would say "well its the democrats fault, they should just sign the deal to make abortion illegal"

Again, the attempts to deflect blame from the democrats here is astounding.

You realize that Republicans have done this foolish thing you mentioned repeatedly, right?

'Obamacare' was one of them. Legislation that was discussed with numerous caveats by Democrats for Republicans over the course of a year, only for Republicans to turn around and not vote a single vote for it.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The following is not an endorsement of the republicans its is just an opinion on the state of playing the political game in America.

The democrats suck at politics, they have repeatedly (in my lifetime) allowed the republicans to race out into new territory and wring every bit of potential gain out of something (party of no), complaining the entire time.

Then just about the time that the American people are starting to get fed up with that aspect of the game... the democrats jump in and say me to.

*shakes head sadly*

all they had to do was present something resembling a platform to the American people and they would make series gains in both houses.

Instead we got tabloid hour for the last 14 months, and once again we are looking at an election where it should be easy gains for the democrats and we have question marks starting to pop up.

I cant tell if they are just utterly and completely incompetent or if the Koch brothers bought them all.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Oh boy another government shut down. Why is this news anymore? It seems like every year, there is this shut down impending, and then comes out the doom patrol to bang the drums and cry that there is shadows in the woods, and we need this new budget to get things done. Then it goes back and forth, and like any sports game, they are running the clock down, in a game of chicken that affects everyone. And then at the last moment, low and behold a compromise is done and presto the government is funded, pats on the back, and politicians can go home and claim some form of victory on how they help save the day.

Funny how they move at the pace of a snail when it affects everyone else, but when it comes to them, they move faster than the speed of light.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
didnt that Q person say something would happen during the shut down?

OhHOOhhOH
edit on 19-1-2018 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Greven

Today's vote needs 60 to pass.

You keep saying that, but you are wrong unless you can provide proof that Democrats plan to filibuster.

Continuing to claim it needs 60 votes without such proof can only be seen as lying now that you have been informed on how things really work.

The Dems will vote no but in your world, they won't fillibuster?

What's the point of voting no then? They won't stop it.

I think you need to reconsider your reasoning here.

No. Not really. Either they are going to fillibuster or just vote no and let it still go through.

Are you still contending they will vote no and NOT fillibuster?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You keep saying that, but you are wrong unless you can provide proof that Democrats plan to filibuster.

Continuing to claim it needs 60 votes without such proof can only be seen as lying now that you have been informed on how things really work.

No. Not really. Either they are going to fillibuster or just vote no and let it still go through.

I don't know. I'm looking for where someone said they would filibuster. I have only seen vagueness.

I have seen Republicans saying they don't have enough votes for a simple majority.
How would it 'go through' in that case, do you think?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I don't know. I'm looking for where someone said they would filibuster. I have only seen vagueness.

I have seen Republicans saying they don't have enough votes for a simple majority.
How would it 'go through' in that case, do you think?

There are at least one Dem who will vote yes for the CR.

DACA isn't a budget/funding issue. It's a political issue. There is nothing no reason to link it to the CR.

Maybe the Trump Schumer talks will go good
edit on 19-1-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

If one or more Democrats votes for the bill... that kind of invalidates the whole "Democrats Want a Government Shutdown" then, now doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

If one or more Democrats votes for the bill... that kind of invalidates the whole "Democrats Want a Government Shutdown" then, now doesn't it?

If you say so....we are talking a handful at best .

It's embarrassing to all of Congress that we are talking about a 4 week funding

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Shut it down I DON'T CARE

Happy Friday!!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think someone mentioned this but its worth pointing out that the markets have seen increases a few days after past shutdowns.

The military pay issue though, it will hit them where it hurts.

Nancy said its not about dreamers anymore its about the healthcare.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Nancy said its not about dreamers anymore its about the healthcare.

Then what is the issue voting for it then? She better talk to Chuckie and get the Senators on the same page.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

If you say so....we are talking a handful at best .

It's embarrassing to all of Congress that we are talking about a 4 week funding

And Chuck Schumer just emerged from the White House saying that there's still much work to be done. Much work for a 30 day funding bill? Good grief.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Whatever the Republican's do wrong, its always the Democrats fault.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Yet they are willing to vote against positions they favor because they want more.

Imagine if dems were in control, and the republicans wanted a budget that increased military spending.

Then the republicans refuse to sign it, because they want Obamacare repealed too.

So the democrats say ok, fine here is a budget that increases military sending, and repeals Obama care.

The republicans then refuse to sign it, saying they wont until abortion is made illegal.

Are you really going to tell me that you would say "well its the democrats fault, they should just sign the deal to make abortion illegal"

You realize that Republicans have done this foolish thing you mentioned repeatedly, right?

'Obamacare' was one of them. Legislation that was discussed with numerous caveats by Democrats for Republicans over the course of a year, only for Republicans to turn around and not vote a single vote for it.

The Republicans were following the law of the land laid down by McConnell several days after Obama was first elected in 2008 - No compromises, none, no matter how reasonable or how much we advocated it. No compromises, defeating Obama is the only goal.

The Republicans have been Party over Country for a long long time.

Below Irish says the Democrats suck at politics. I share that lament in many ways. However, the Republicans success in politics has come about by tearing down every single traditional understanding that there's been in the Senate, just one example being the 60 vote threshold for a SCOTUS judge. The Dems didn't break that rule with Obama's nominees, they both got over 60. It took McConnell and Trump to decide that with themselves in power, they'd simply dispense with those limitations.

It's a pattern that's happened over and over again.

Thankfully, the polls are absolutely consistent that the public isn't fooled at all. The polls on people's blame for the impending shutdown show that 48% say the Repubs and Trump are to blame, 28% say the Dems, a 20 point difference.

Trump agreed to a deal. The Dems got a decent deal trading DACA for the wall and border security - that was a deal the "president" agreed to, he just decided to reverse his position, which is why 4-6 Republicans now say they won't vote for it.

The "blame" going out to Dems is absurd. Repubs couldn't pass a 50 vote margin, never mind a 60 vote. It ain't Dems that are to blame and the public knows it.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Whatever the Republican's do wrong, its always the Democrats fault.

No doubt both sides are guilty of that attitude.

But on the issue today.

democrats reject a budget that includes only things they want = republicans fault.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

Below Irish says the Democrats suck at politics. I share that lament in many ways. However, the Republicans success in politics has come about by tearing down every single traditional understanding that there's been in the Senate, just one example being the 60 vote threshold for a SCOTUS judge. The Dems didn't break that rule with Obama's nominees, they both got over 60. It took McConnell and Trump to decide that with themselves in power, they'd simply dispense with those limitations.

No the dmeocrats under Obama were the first to change the rules saying you dont need 60 cotes, only a simple majority.

They just used it for lower judges.

Then they were apalled when the republicans followed that precedent for a SC justice.

For you to act like the republicans somehow started this is disingenuous.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

No the dmeocrats under Obama were the first to change the rules saying you dont need 60 cotes, only a simple majority.

They just used it for lower judges.

Then they were apalled when the republicans followed that precedent for a SC justice.

For you to act like the republicans somehow started this is disingenuous.

Wrong. You're just wrong on the facts. Period.

It's why so many judges didn't go through with Obama but are now.

You are just wrong, which isn't surprising.

Republicans are supposed to be proud that they're throwing out these "obstacles" - the pols are bragging about it on the news.

There has never, ever, not once, been a SCOTUS judge that didn't have to reach 60 votes. Until now. And it didn't start with Dems, again, you just flat have the facts wrong.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

True, but dems are nuts for Pandering to a bunch of illegal lawbreakers and open borders lovers. this is just a really bad idea. They now look like the party of anti-Americans.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join