It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want a Government Shutdown

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Grambler

Then the republicans should stop whining and do the deal.

They have spent weeks ignoring things that need to happen. In the case of DACA, they ignored it for a couple of years.

From where I stand you have one lazy bunch of SOB's squared off across the couch from another lazy bunch of SOB's.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Are these the same pollsters that had Hillary winning by 95%?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Do you realize how incredibly foolish this sounds?

There is not one thing in this budget proposal that the democrats arent for.

Yet they are willing to vote against positions they favor because they want more.

Imagine if dems were in control, and the republicans wanted a budget that increased military spending.

so the dems say ok, here it is.

Then the republicans refuse to sign it, because they want Obamacare repealed too.

So the democrats say ok, fine here is a budget that increases military sending, and repeals Obama care.

The republicans then refuse to sign it, saying they wont until abortion is made illegal.

Are you really going to tell me that you would say "well its the democrats fault, they should just sign the deal to make abortion illegal"

Again, the attempts to deflect blame from the democrats here is astounding.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You can't pass a DACA "deal" before midnight tonight. Nothing is in writing yet. Democrats, or more specifically Chuck Schumer, is demanding the impossible.
edit on 1/19/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Sillyolme

Are these the same pollsters that had Hillary winning by 95%?

I think their is broad support to help the doca recipients. Even Trump is for helping them he's said that multiple times. So I have little doubt the poll is right.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: neo96

Works for me.

Shut that SNIP down.

So much for their Russia 'investigation'.

How much was spent on Clinton's bj?
By a Republican congress...you know, the fiscal conservative types...
Not trying to use deflection, just trying to put it in perspective. Since repubs are in majority control of the ENTIRE government...you know, the fiscally conservative types rule all three branches of government now.

I don't give a snip.

For an entire YEAR the left has tried to tear this country apart.

Then turn around and do some more whining because they don't get their way.

edit on 19-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

They have spent weeks ignoring things that need to happen. In the case of DACA, they ignored it for a couple of years.

From where I stand you have one lazy bunch of SOB's squared off across the couch from another lazy bunch of SOB's.

I find what has happened with daca and immigration policy on the whole the past decade to be a disgrace.

But DACA is 100% irrelevant to this budget.

Daca and immigration will be worked on with a compromise.

Dems want dreamers to stay, republicans want stronger border enforcement and other things. So the idea is both sides should compromise and come up with a bill.

This budget doesnt interfere with that in any way.

The compromise on the budget is that the republicans but only stuff in it that the dems have claimed to publicly want, funding federal employees and the military, delaying the Cadillac tax, funding Chip for 6 years.

Yet they are willing to vote against their own positions because they want to bring in a totally unrelated issue.

Again, imagine if the immigration policy is being debated, and all of the sudden Republicans say "well we wont deal with DACA until abortion is made illegal"

Everyone would rightly say the republicans had lost their mind, and it would be their fault the daca problem wasnt solved.

But when the dems bring in something totally unrelated to justify voting against things they want, they not only blame the republicans, but their MSM pals go along with it.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
And Gambler

Lol. All that legislative power and self ruling body and they want pity. This could have been avoided in September. Ye reap what ye sow.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

And Gambler

Lol. All that legislative power and self ruling body and they want pity. This could have been avoided in September. Ye reap what ye sow.

So you are happy to watch children not have insurance so long as you can blame republicans.

Is that you schumer?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: Greven
Implying?

Either they say they are going to filibuster it or they aren't. If they aren't saying they're going to filibuster it, then you can't say it requires 60 votes.

Full stop.

Yet all the media have been reporting 60 votes will be meeded, including while talk in to dems.

The dems know that everyone is taking for granted they would fillibister, and they are saying the will force a shutdown of they don't get more.

I take them at their word, and assume they know they would need a fillibister to force a shutdown.

Any, you know, sources for this?

The government is set to run out of funding at midnight Friday. House Republicans passed a continuing resolution Thursday evening to fund the government, but the stopgap spending measure's path in the Senate as that deadline looms is unclear. The legislation needs 60 votes to pass the chamber to break a filibuster, meaning Republican leaders could need as many a dozen Democrats or more to vote in its favor. Several Democrats have already announced their opposition to the bill.

www.cnn.com...

Senate Democrats have threatened to block the funding measure through a filibuster, which requires 60 votes to overcome.

www.ft.com...

Democrats in the Senate have served notice they will filibuster a four-week, government-wide funding bill that cleared the House Thursday evening. That could expose them to charges that they are responsible for a shutdown, but they point the finger at Republicans instead.

www.mercurynews.com...

Either way, Democrats have said they have the votes to block the spending bill from advancing. They may give some freebie votes to Democrats in difficult 2018 races — Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), for example, told reporters that he would likely vote for a spending bill — but they have told reporters that there are not enough to start debate on the spending bill.

In this case, if Republicans are unified in trying to keep the government open and Democrats deny them the votes to do it, it would be fair to say that Democrats shut down the government.

www.vox.com...

(not enough votes to start a debate means they will fillibuster)

“I think a shutdown is likely,” a senior Democratic source told the Hill. “Senate Democrats are not likely to provide the votes needed to break a filibuster. The Senate is going to shut down unless something major changes before Friday night.”

www.newyorker.com...

Attention now shifts to the Senate, where Democrats are boasting to reporters that they've marshaled the requisite votes to block GOP attempts to keep the federal government open, via a filibuster. Even if every Senate Republican voted for the House-passed plan (Mitch McConnell's caucus has a few members who've vowed to vote no), 60 votes are required to overcome a potential minority filibuster. And Democrats are stating, quite openly, that they're ready to filibuster the GOP spending bill and force a shutdown unless they get their way on immigration.

townhall.com... 7

The meeting comes as Congress pushed the federal government to the brink of a shutdown. Senate Democrats — joined by some GOP deficit hawks and immigration allies — were set to filibuster a stopgap funding bill ahead of a midnight deadline.

www.latimes.com...

Democrats in the Senate have served notice they will filibuster a four-week, government-wide funding bill that cleared the House Thursday evening.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Is that enough sources to put to bed the argument that maybe the dems werent discussing fillibustering?

Not enough votes to start debating means Republicans don't have a majority vote to begin with.

The CNN article says just what I did - that 3/5 are needed for a filibuster, but doesn't say Democrats would filibuster.
The FT article claims Democrats threatened to filibuster, but curiously doesn't name any.
The Mercury News article claims Democrats have served notice, but also doesn't name any.
The Vox article says nothing new, either - it's explaining as I have.
The NewYorker article doesn't say they're going to filibuster, only that Democrats wouldn't cross the aisle to invoke cloture.
The TownHall article claims Democrats are boasting about having the votes to block legislation - do they mean through filibuster or just not having a majority? The article implies the former, but again doesn't name any Democrat.
The LA Times article claims both Democrats and Republicans would filibuster, but again doesn't name names.
The Chicago Tribune says the same thing - same language even - as the Mercury News, so it's essentially the same source.

Give us names. Who is threatening filibuster?

Vague insinuations in the media with unclear distinguishing between which type of block (simple majority or filibuster) using nebulous language, in one case citing Twitter as a source, is not going to help your case.
edit on 13Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:06:09 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

link   

Saving our democracy takes precedent. It is time for republicans to reach that high moral status they demand from others.

link   

And Gambler

McConnell is to blame. Amazingly, McConnell said that the President expects to much from him/them. Perhaps Congress should be in session more than 145 days @ year. The leaders of our nation only working 145 days a year is crazy.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Works for me.

Shut that SNIP down.

Not trying to use deflection, just trying to put it in perspective. Since repubs are in majority control of the ENTIRE government...you know, the fiscally conservative types rule all three branches of government now.

I don't give a snip.

Because they don't get their way...

So when your champions are at the helm and can't figure # out even though complaining about it and OWNING ALL THREE BODIES OF GOVERNMENT,

It's STILL the fault of those you don't like.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I find it vaguely hilarious that when the Republicans shut government down under Obama it was the bestest most awesome and amazing thing ever.

Now the Republicans control White House, Senate, and Congress and the government is getting shut down on their watch when they control all three houses, it's somehow the Democrats fault and it's the worstest most awful baby-killing evilness in the world ever.

Some double-standards are more glaring than others.

Yes and the same people that said the republicans were evil for that and could cause people to die are now doing the same thing themselves.

So your argument is that because the republicans did it, you are ok with the dems doing it?

My position is I dont care very ,much either way, I think both kind of suck, and i understand they are all playing politics.

However it was the democrats that started the moral argument, that forcing a shutdown would harm people. It was the democrats and there media and cultural mouth pieces that shed tears and claimed not funding chip would cause children to die.

Now two weeks later they refuse to finance CHIP and sign a bill filled with all things they like.

So can we at least stop the lie that the democrats are so moral and thought republicans were hurting kids by not financing chip?

REPUBLICANS DON'T EVEN HAVE THE VOTES TO PASS A SIMPLE MAJORITY DESPITE CONTROLLING THE SENATE.

The filibuster doesn't even matter. They can't cease squabbling amongst themselves even to get a majority vote on funding the government. Several of them, like Paul, probably want it shut down.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

And Gambler

So you are happy to watch children not have insurance so long as you can blame republicans.

Is that you schumer?

Budget Director Mulvaney this morning said that this will be known as "The Schumer Shutdown". The CNN guy at the Press Conference didn't like that at all. "You cant' call it that!"

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Trump and Schumer are meeting at the White House right now.

I hope it's being recorded, so Schumer can't come out crying and and say, "The President said he hates DACA kids!"

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Greven

Has nothing to do with filibusters apropriation bills need 60 votes to pass. If this was a modification of an existing bill they would only need 51. So without democrats in the senate voting for the bIll it can't be approved.

No, they don't.

The tax reform was passed as appropriations. It was passed with 51 votes.

Republicans can't even manage 51 votes on keeping the government funded. It's pathetic.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

All Democrats should be voting "Yes" to fund the CHIP program.

But they want to continue using "The Children" as pawns.

Democrats love dependencies.

People are waking up to their tricks.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The government should fund all programs and agencies in advance for 6 years, like they're proposing for the Childrens Health Insurance Program. That would be YUGE.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Works for me.

Shut that SNIP down.

I don't give a snip.

Republicans filibustering everything they could in the previous 8 years was fine, but Republicans being completely worthless in Congress at getting legislation through is the fault of the left?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join