It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want a Government Shutdown

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The dems I think will lose on this and they will lose their moral edge if they continue to shut down the government for DACA.

Trump will bombard them on Twitter.

The Dems shut down government for one reason...DACA.

Its a political disaster and not even a good tactic.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The democrats are already diminished. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
5 Dems voted yes and 4 reps voted no. How much help do republicans need to govern?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
One minute till the shut-down !!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
One minute till the shut-down !!

The "Schumer Shutdown" has begun.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

If you mean CHIP, nothing is stopping funding except republicans. They let it expire in Sept.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
opps, no one blinked!!!
oh noooo!!!
quick, get those fingers out pointing at the other side, cause we sure the heck don't want to be blamed!!!

wonder if our credit rating will go down this time???

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

If you mean CHIP, nothing is stopping funding except republicans. They let it expire in Sept.

No they didn't.

It expires in March.

Get it right.

Look it up and retract.

edit on Jan-19-2018 by xuenchen because: Q++++MEMO

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

really, I think you need to look it up.. it has expired, the states will start running out of money next week... some states, others are a little better off.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

The democrats are already diminished. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
5 Dems voted yes and 4 reps voted no. How much help do republicans need to govern?

Look, I’m all for the dems normally, but when my side does stupid, I’m going to call it what it is

Imo this is political suicide

They were winning all the extra elections and this might come back to haunt them

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

And Democrats killed it off today.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I’m a Democrat but I’m for electing all new candidates. I’m not that excited about winning 2018. I would rather the republicans work with trump. Democrats need to concentrate local elections and wait on Washington.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

CONGRESS killed it off.... this inability to work with each other is gonna be our downfall!!!
and that is something the republicans are far from innocent of!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is not just the Democrats fault, but also the Republicans as well. And here is how this can be summed up:

The Republicans have the majority in the House and Senate, and they have the White House.

The Republicans set the calendar, and determine what is voted on and what is not on, the order of when things will come up to be debated on and voted on. So the congress could have had a budget all ready, signed and the government to keep running. But they don't do that, they wait, then have to punt and put on temporary bandages.

No this entire mess lies with those in congress, who open doors that should not be opened, and then cry foul when it is used against them by the other side.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The issue here is DACA and some of our legislators are willing to let American citizens suffer in favor of illegal aliens. At some point I can only hope it comes back and bites them on the a$$.

We have to stop pandering to illegals and put America and American citizens first. We should always have a legal way to enter this country and become a citizen. But we have to stop this stupidity about illegals before it kills us as a nation. Illegal is illegal. Period. If you don't belong here GTFO. I am sick of the "America is a nation of immigrants" excuse. No nation was ever made great by people sneaking across its borders in the middle of the night. Many nations have been destroyed that way. But none made great.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

No they didn't.

It expires in March.

Get it right.

Look it up and retract.

“CHIP has always had bipartisan support and is a critical source of health coverage for kids and pregnant women. Despite this threat to our kids' health care, Congress has failed to renew funding for CHIP since September 30,2017, when funding expired.”

familiesusa.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

No they didn't.

It expires in March.

Get it right.

Look it up and retract.

“CHIP has always had bipartisan support and is a critical source of health coverage for kids and pregnant women. Despite this threat to our kids' health care, Congress has failed to renew funding for CHIP since September 30,2017, when funding expired.”

familiesusa.org...

You can be sure none of this affects any members of Congress or their families.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

No they didn't.

It expires in March.

Get it right.

Look it up and retract.

familiesusa.org...

You can be sure none of this affects any members of Congress or their families.

The only people guaranteed to get paid during this shutdown are congress. Funny how that worked out...

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
I kind of think that it has to do with much more than DACA. the republicans seem to think that they can just write up the laws on their own, without any dem input, present them to the floor and then try to bully the dems to go along.
if they refuse to allow the dems to have a say and work with them, give them some concessions, well, there's a good chance that nothing will get done till after the new congress is elected, and the more the republicans try to appease trump and his far right base, the better the chance are that the new congress will be a little more blue, if not majority blue.
both daca and the child health programs have bipartisan support in congress, the only reason why they haven't been passed before now is that the republicans leadership in congress has refused to bring them up for a vote.

I'm being quite generous when I say that both parties share equally in this mess... contrary to those on the other side who seem to want to make it out as it's all the dems.
but, what I can expect, it seems like our gov't never does work too well when one party has control of the house, senate, and presidency. both parties have their strong points along with their flaws, it's only through them working together that we actually get half way decent legislation that is actually beneficial.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Does everyone remember the Federal Judge's ruling on January 10th that blocked President Trump's attempt end DACA?

A federal judge in California temporarily blocked the Trump administration's decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program late Tuesday night.

Widely known as DACA, the program protects young immigrants from deportation. In September, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the program would be phased out.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco granted a request by California and other states to keep DACA going, at least until lawsuits can play out in court.

Source Article: www.npr.org...

When this ruling was announced, virtually NO Democrats applauded it. Tonight I understand why. It took away Democrat's "leverage" in upcoming budget negotiations.

But this week, they proceeded to tie a court-mandated, non-expiring DACA to the budget negotiations anyway...ultimately leading to tonight's government shutdown.

Democrats, let by Chuck Schumer, acted as if DACA was ending, when it really isn't. Not for the foreseeable future anyway. There was no need to tie DACA continuation to this week's budget negotiations.

This tells me that the title of this thread is SPOT ON. Democrats really did want a government shutdown, so they could have SOMETHING to blame Republicans for, ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.

I believe that their "strategy" has backfired. Even the usually Democrat-friendly CNN poll tonight, says that most Americans blame Democrats for the government being forced to close... which will now be known as the January 20, 2018 "Schumer Shutdown".

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Y'all don't seem to understand what happened.

The Senate, under Mitch McConnell, failed to even consider the bill because they wanted it to under restricted debate rules (cloture), which they couldn't muster the votes to do.

They barely mustered the votes for a simple majority with 5 Democrats supporting.

IF McConnell had put it up for consideration, and IF Democrats filibustered the bill in either consideration or debate, THEN you could say Democrats forced a shutdown.

THEY DIDN'T EVEN GET A CHANCE TO.
edit on 2Sat, 20 Jan 2018 02:05:35 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join