It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want a Government Shutdown

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Greven

For years republicans used abortion for dividing the country. This year it’s illegal aliens dog whistles.

All of which has nothing to do with what just happened.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: bluechevytree
wow, serious website malfunction resulted in many duplicate posts.

Think you set a record. Impressive.

The Procedural Vote just failed. Democrats get their wish.

The SCHUMER SHUTDOWN is about to begin.

Sorry I didn't make mine as eye-catching as yours, Xuenchen!

Will the Moon go dark tonight at midnight Eastern Time?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The democrats I believe are overplaying their hand shutting down the government.

They get nothing from this.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I hope somebody starts a shut-down thread when it officially happens. I want to ask whom is hurt more by a Shut Down of Government. DEMOCRATS or REPUBLICANS

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I believe the dems are tactically making a big mistake shutting down the government.

Sure the GOP are scum bags but you have to get what you can when you can in politics.

The dems with this self-righteousness on this vote issue might lose their edge they’ve gained.

They don't get DACA now one way or the other and they have abandoned the chip kids.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The dems claim to be doing this for the DACA kids but the shutdown isn’t going to move Trump because he thinks the shut down hurts the dems…!

It is too risky a political maneuver. They already have the DACA people on their side, a shut down will have them lose the middle.

The issue is too convoluted to directly hurt the GOP since the dems direct vote caused the shutdown.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: bluechevytree
wow, serious website malfunction resulted in many duplicate posts.

Think you set a record. Impressive.

The Procedural Vote just failed. Democrats get their wish.

The SCHUMER SHUTDOWN is about to begin.

Sorry I didn't make mine as eye-catching as yours, Xuenchen!

Will the Moon go dark tonight at midnight Eastern Time?

It will if there's lots of clouds in the sky !!

Or too much smoky hot air from politicians.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The Senate just rejected a procedural vote to limit debate !!!

Fail.

Shutdown imminent.

!! Cut & Chop !!

No greven said that's not possible.

I mean, every single source was saying the dems would do this, and every conversation of the congressman was implying it when discussing the shut down.

But this must be a lie.

Greven told us
edit on 19-1-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This may be equivalent for the dems to Trump firing Comey.

Its stupid politics…

They had Trump and the GOP on the run and they may have blown it all on this vote to shut down the government

Trump is going to run around saying the radical dems shut down the governnemnt to save illegal aliens and it will likely work

What are they going to do now justify shutting down the government for the DACA kids that they don’t have an agreement anyway!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Fail.

Shutdown imminent.

!! Cut & Chop !!

I mean, every single source was saying the dems would do this, and every conversation of the congressman was implying it when discussing the shut down.

But this must be a lie.

Greven told us

Well I better re-check the facts I guess !!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I hope somebody starts a shut-down thread when it officially happens. I want to ask whom is hurt more by a Shut Down of Government. DEMOCRATS or REPUBLICANS

Neither according to the President.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Trump is going to run around saying the radical dems shut down the governnemnt to save illegal aliens and it will likely work
Well Trump is right. It is what they are doing, as we have been told that there is nothing in the bill itself they oppose.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Shutting down the government in 2013 didn’t hurt the republicans.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Fail.

Shutdown imminent.

!! Cut & Chop !!

But this must be a lie.

Greven told us

This is not what I said. You are lying about what I said, which may constitute a TOC violation.

I will restate:
3/5 of the Senate are needed to invoke cloture.
50% + 1 of the Senate are needed to pass or consider a bill.

These are different things. Stop conflating them.

Invoking cloture means ending debate after some period of time. Normal Senate rules allow Senators to speak about some question as long as they want and up to twice per question. This is how filibuster came to be - someone could speak for a day or more and never end the debate.

The Senate decided that just wasted time and allowed people to just invoke a filibuster, but also reduced the required votes to invoke cloture to the present 3/5 from 2/3 +1.

They seem to be voting to invoke cloture in order to preclude a filibuster. hence my query about which Senator or Senators have said they will filibuster this legislation.

Otherwise, McConnell is doing this for show, and normal Senate process could continue. Last I checked, McConnell hadn't cast his vote.

e: In case this is unclear - normal Senate procedure does not require invoking cloture. That is what the 60 votes are needed for. If someone filibusters it, then name that person. I have seen no name mentioned.
edit on 23Fri, 19 Jan 2018 23:22:12 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: forgot the plus one in the old rules and it's more restate than repeat.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I can't see Republicans reducing the CHIP offer from 6 years back to 1 year, when a final deal is reached. That would be BAD OPTICS.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Of course the Dems want a shutdown.

They've been backed against the wall. The ship is sinking and there's nowhere left to run.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The dems claim to be doing this for the DACA kids but the shutdown isn’t going to move Trump because he thinks the shut down hurts the dems…!

OMGoodness. You still don't understand President Trump after 12 months? He doesn't want to "Hurt" the Democrats. His motivation is to get deals that are best for Americans.

Remember, Donald Trump has been a Democrat in life, longer than a Republican. And he has never been a politician. Hurting Democrats is furthest from his mind.

In fact, I believe that he respects Democrats more than Republicans, because of their loyalty and cohesiveness. Two traits that he values greatly.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Shutting down the government in 2013 didn’t hurt the republicans.

But the difference is shutting down the government for Dreamers versus not caring about ACA people. The American people are more selfish than generous therefore to shut the government for DACA people is very risky for the dems.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

We don't agree on that

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

So why isn't Trump making any deals?

OH..he's probably picking his outfit for his $100,000 a ticket inauguration party....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join