It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter-driven sail and more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Stumbled across this website for those of you who love following our progress on new space propulsion concepts.

Antimatter-driven sail

And some info on my personal favorite VASIMR
This puppy can cut our Mars travel to only a few months.

VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket)

You fellow space exploration nuts will love this site!
The Encyclopedia of Astrobiology, Astronomy, and Spaceflight

Bush just spent another 80+ billion on his war imagine the spacecraft we could build....with that. sigh...

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
We should be building garden ships and sailing across the universe. Maybe with populations somewhere in the region of 10k, you could actually sustain the necessary levels of death vs. birth.

Imagine signing on for a hedonist gardeners dream, flying through space, sending back first hand observances from across the galaxy, growing huge quantities of assorted plants to replenish oxygen, supply food, plastics, and clothing, etc.

The greatest thing about long term space exploration, is it reduces the chance of human extinction from a single event. If we can't stop the earth from being consumed by the sun, or getting obliterated by a passing comet, at least we can preserve humanity in some form.

The more ships you send out, the greater chance we will continue on in the universe. I think that's a pretty compelling argument for long term space exploration.

The plasma drive is interesting, but what about the ion drive? And PDE for liftoff, perhaps on electro-mag ramps? They're building several ramps that will be suitable, once powered and tested more thoroughly.

The next logical step is to colonize the moon, and use it's gravity to assist in the production of spaceships. It's not feasible long term to launch our craft from the surface of the earth. It's either the moon, or a floating assembly plant, or both.

We need that infrastructure before we can get serious about long term flight, and the corporations in power are more concerned with consolidating that power than the fate of mankind. That's a sign of clouded judgement, and they should be held accountable.

Mankind needs to take back control of its destiny, and get the hell of this rock before it explodes and takes us all with it. Don't get me wrong, I love the earth. It's just that the we're nesting on a ticking time bomb, and that makes me nervous for our long term survival.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
agreed, worldships would mean we don't need a warpdrive to spread humanity across the stars, we can take like 5 generations or something and still get there.

Allthough everybody would like to see it happening in ones lifetime....

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
okay, so where are we going ot get all the anti-matter? IIRC we have only been able to produce minute quantities of it

new topics

top topics

join