It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complex engineering and metal-work discovered beneath ancient Greek 'pyramid'

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well this is one way to get a pyramid effect...It is true that after four thousand years the place does not resemble it's one grand facade.. However with just a bit of imagination one can envision how this place must have looked.

The metal working facilities of 4000 years ago are just one of the many discoveries found on Keros.. The excavations continue//

More than 4,000 years ago builders carved out the entire surface of a naturally pyramid-shaped promontory on the Greek island of Keros. They shaped it into terraces covered with 1,000 tonnes of specially imported gleaming white stone to give it the appearance of a giant stepped pyramid rising from the Aegean: the most imposing manmade structure in all the Cyclades archipelago.

But beneath the surface of the terraces lay undiscovered feats of engineering and craftsmanship to rival the structure’s impressive exterior. Archaeologists from three different countries involved in an ongoing excavation have found evidence of a complex of drainage tunnels – constructed 1,000 years before the famous indoor plumbing of the Minoan palace of Knossos on Crete – and traces of sophisticated metalworking.

www.theguardian.com...

The pyramid of terraces would have blazed in the Greek sun, visible from far off, covered in white stone imported from Naxos 10 kilometres away. The complex of drainage tunnels was discovered when archaeologists were excavating an imposing staircase in the lower terraces: research continues to discover whether they were for fresh water or sewage.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I saw that yesterday, thanks for posting.
This is a very important site.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

I saw that yesterday, thanks for posting.
This is a very important site.

You are welcome...When I read they had transported white stone to the sight my first thought was they were trying to make their "almost a pyramid" resemble the pyramids in Egypt.. which to me means commerce and or adventurer's having traveled to Egypt over 4000 years ago.. I tend to think long ago there was allot of that going on. Brave souls if that was the case.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You are absolutely correct in that assumption. They Cyclades were instrumental in the development of Agean(Minoan) civilization.
The island proves the Agean greeks were already accomplished freight haulers at that period in time.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I had not heard this so thank you for posting it. From my experience main stream thinking says the ancients were stupid. By that I mean no one wants to believe that they could travel more than across the river. I've never understood that thinking. Evidence is everywhere, all you have to do is look. I always thought the reason for this is their education. "In college I was taught". Very few seem to be willing to step outside and check for themselves. I hear all the time "This would rewrite the history books". So rewrite the damn thing. To many kids today still being taught the Washington cherry tree BS. My granddaughter is in first grade and told me about it. I was fit to be tied. I called the school the next day and they said they can only teach what's in their book. The person I spoke to said I know it's wrong but there's nothing we can do.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

727Sky,

Friday I happed to skim over an article about the religious/ritual significance of white in the vinca culture, who were the earliest metal using culture.
The Agean people have genetic links with the people of the balkans/northern black sea(vinca), and were also very early metal users.
And at the island we see metal working and the use of white in a significant structure, the white pyramid.

top topics

join