It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need to totally change priorities from the drug war to RICO act violations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am sick and tired of my resources being forcefully taken away from me to fight an illegal drug war.

Drugsense.org

Money Spent on the War On Drugs this Year

$770,037,891
Federal

$1,312,484,926
State

$2,082,522,817
Total

Total waste of money. This probably isn't even scratching the surface of what the drug war cost us. Now factor in the amount of money it cost to incarcerate people as well as the pensions we pay all of these federal agents to have enforced the laws during their tenure. Then factor in the money it cost in losses to the communities most impact this war in way of GDP due to people not being allowed to re-enter society in a meaningful way do to the economic tyranny leveraged against those who were victimized by this useless "war".

NOLO

Check this ^^^^ link if you need more information on what the RICO act is.

www.americanbar.org... cuting.authcheckdam.pdf" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

b)constituting a “pattern of racketeering”, (i)The statute requires that a pattern include at least two acts of racketeering activity, one of which occurred after the effective date of the statute (October 15, 1970), and the last of which occurred within ten years of a prior act of racketeering activity. The Supreme Court has held that a pattern “requires the showing of a relationship between the predicates, . . . and of the threat of, continuing activity . . .” “Criminal conduct,” the Court explained, “forms a pattern if it embraces criminal acts that have the same or similar purposes, results, participants, victims, or methods of commission, or otherwise are interrelated by distinguishing characteristics and are not isolated events.” (H.J. Inc. v. Northwestern Bell Tel. Co., 492 U.S. 229, 239-240 [1989]). (ii)“Racketeering activity” includes conduct that is “indictable,” “chargeable” or “punishable” under various state and federal criminal laws. The acts of racketeering activity are also referred to as predicate offenses, and the list incorporated into the statute covers a wide array of illegal activity, including mail and wire fraud, and Hobbs Act offenses

The main offense I am concerned with her is criminal racketeering enterprises that our government continues engage in. Now, I am not an attorney so I may be off base here but IMO many or most of our politicians are engaging in organized crime mainly by way of racketeering. I also believe the RICO act covers violations where politicians are using their influence for personal gain such as awarding large government contracts to friends or giving them the information they need to successfully win bids or position themselves in a way to profit personally off of these contracts.

This needs to be and should be our main focus right now as a society. In my opinion many 3rd world nations are 3rd world nations because of government corruption not because the population isn't capable of achieving 1st world status.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I'm sick and tired of our country spending trillions bombing Arabs in the Middle East for Israel.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Hmm. Not sure because what we know about what is happening in the ME and what's actually happening there are probably 2 different stories. I am basing that assumption I've had with higher level military personal who have spent a large portion of their careers fighting over there and not on any news cycle information.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Username checks out!

I dont mind focusing on illegal economic migrants rather than the drugs, addressing one will likely affect the other in a good way.

Too bad its making people crazy money and arrest numbers are funding entire branches.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I am sick and tired of my resources being forcefully taken away from me to fight an illegal drug war.

It's far too lucrative to stop.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

politicians are using their influence for personal gain such as awarding large government contracts to friends or giving them the information they need to successfully win bids or position themselves in a way to profit personally off of these contracts.

You must be un-american. What you just described is exactly the way DC works. It's why you can't find too many DC politicians with over 10 years experience who aren't millionaires. Don't be hatin, they got to make a living too.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Granted, the war on drugs is a disaster and a waste of money, but the single biggest threat to your national security is the out of control debt and spending. What needs to be done is to drastically cut spending, close overseas bases, cut the navy in half, etc.

Without reducing the debt, balancing the budget, your future is toast.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

ending the drug war is 1 of the biggest factors in achieving stated goals

do you realize how much wealth ending the drug war will generate?

also investigating politicians for RICO violations will help with that as well because it'll get rid of the power hungry #heads running things now
edit on 18-1-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

they can make a living from the fantastic salary and benefits we offer them to be corrupt

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

a reply to: dfnj2015

Hmm. Not sure because what we know about what is happening in the ME and what's actually happening there are probably 2 different stories. I am basing that assumption I've had with higher level military personal who have spent a large portion of their careers fighting over there and not on any news cycle information.
There is plenty of professional and expert info demonstrating our foreign policy is for ulterior motives and not democracy nor freedom. It's part of an even larger racket that includes corrupt politicians, corporations, etc..
edit on 18-1-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Pretty sure this is exactly what Sessions is doing right now. Hence all the arrests with gangs and all their connections.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Legalise it , and tax the # out of it just like they do with alcool and cigarettes,no more deficites and more money for healthcare and education.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I really hope so because I have really been at people on social media who support this really stupid war on drugs. I have really had it with my money being spent this way.

I want corrupt politicians in prison on level 4 yards with real inmates.

Oh I've been expressing this with the leadership in our local city council as well.
edit on 18-1-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Absolutely not.

Sin taxes are a violation of our civil liberties and it's not the governments job to dictate our culture and personal life experience to us.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Without revealing more than I care too, I speak from experience when I say RICO prosecutions are crazy expensive, drag on for years, etc. Better to go after the big fish with the IRS!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It's worth it to prosecute corrupt politicians regardless of the cost.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Username checks out!

I dont mind focusing on illegal economic migrants rather than the drugs, addressing one will likely affect the other in a good way.

Too bad its making people crazy money and arrest numbers are funding entire branches.

Huh, wonder why it's so easy for those migrants to work,....probably because the migrants aren't the real problem. It's the employers cheating the system often paying to have them delivered.

I assume the drug war is no different. The dirty birds keep the profits higher with there special network.

edit on 18-1-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Drugsense.org

Money Spent on the War On Drugs this Year

$770,037,891
Federal

$1,312,484,926
State

$2,082,522,817
Total

Total waste of money. This probably isn't even scratching the surface of what the drug war cost us. Now factor in the amount of money it cost to incarcerate people as well as the pensions we pay all of these federal agents to have enforced the laws during their tenure. Then factor in the money it cost in losses to the communities most impact this war in way of GDP due to people not being allowed to re-enter society in a meaningful way do to the economic tyranny leveraged against those who were victimized by this useless "war".

NOLO

Check this ^^^^ link if you need more information on what the RICO act is.

www.americanbar.org... cuting.authcheckdam.pdf" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

b)constituting a “pattern of racketeering”, (i)The statute requires that a pattern include at least two acts of racketeering activity, one of which occurred after the effective date of the statute (October 15, 1970), and the last of which occurred within ten years of a prior act of racketeering activity. The Supreme Court has held that a pattern “requires the showing of a relationship between the predicates, . . . and of the threat of, continuing activity . . .” “Criminal conduct,” the Court explained, “forms a pattern if it embraces criminal acts that have the same or similar purposes, results, participants, victims, or methods of commission, or otherwise are interrelated by distinguishing characteristics and are not isolated events.” (H.J. Inc. v. Northwestern Bell Tel. Co., 492 U.S. 229, 239-240 [1989]). (ii)“Racketeering activity” includes conduct that is “indictable,” “chargeable” or “punishable” under various state and federal criminal laws. The acts of racketeering activity are also referred to as predicate offenses, and the list incorporated into the statute covers a wide array of illegal activity, including mail and wire fraud, and Hobbs Act offenses

The main offense I am concerned with her is criminal racketeering enterprises that our government continues engage in. Now, I am not an attorney so I may be off base here but IMO many or most of our politicians are engaging in organized crime mainly by way of racketeering. I also believe the RICO act covers violations where politicians are using their influence for personal gain such as awarding large government contracts to friends or giving them the information they need to successfully win bids or position themselves in a way to profit personally off of these contracts.

This needs to be and should be our main focus right now as a society. In my opinion many 3rd world nations are 3rd world nations because of government corruption not because the population isn't capable of achieving 1st world status.

The drug war is a complete waste of money. Given the amount we've spent on it, you'd think we'd have very little drug problems yet the streets are filled with cracked out geek monsters. It obviously isn't working.

The only way to really get rid of drugs is to get rid of drug addicts as drug dealers won't sell without buyers. Other than genocide, I don't really know how that is possible. There is always going to be a small part of the population that is either stupid or addiction prone. No one is going to advocate rounding up addicts and disposing of them.

I'd rather the billions spent on enforcement be put towards rehab and other treatment. Maybe allow government dispensaries to kill any of the economics of the black market.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
How will the country handle the crime from people using it to support their legal drug habit?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Balanced budgets are great for State governments. But paying off the entire federal debt would be a disaster. As I've mentioned in numerous threads now, federal debt holders include anyone with money in a money market account, anyone with a 401k, many annuity owners, large institutional investors, etc.

Social Security is also a large owner of federal debt, which makes perfect sense. It would be stupid to let the money sit in a non-interest bearing account, yet they literally can't afford to lose any of that money by investing it on the market. So the money earns a small amount of interest and is completely safe as an investment by buying temporary govt debt with it. Large institutional investors like major universities park a lot of their money into federal debt for the same reason.

Paying off the entire US federal debt would require paying off every single t-note, t-bill, and t-bond in existence. No investor would want that, much less the major multinational corporations, our foreign allied govts, sovereign wealth funds, etc. What current investment is as safe as US federal debt which is backed by the tax collecting power of the US government?

new topics

top topics

join