It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Admin. Moves to Bar Haitians from Agricultural, Seasonal Worker Visas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The Trump administration is moving to prohibit people from Haiti — which the president allegedly insulted in a meeting last week — from applying for visas for seasonal and farm workers.

The Department of Homeland Security has given notice it plans to prohibit people from Haiti, as well as Belize and Samoa, from applying for H-2A and H-2B visas, which are temporary.

Those visas allow businesses to bring in workers from other countries. The H-2A visa is for agriculture and the H-2B is for non-agricultural seasonal work in places such as resorts.

The notice of which countries are eligible was to be published in the Federal Register on Thursday, but a copy was publicly posted online Wednesday per the usual process.

In the notice, DHS said that Haitians applying for the visas "present extremely high rates of refusal" and Haitians who have been granted H-2A and H-2B visas "have demonstrated high levels of fraud and abuse and a high rate of overstaying the terms of their H-2 admission."

Source

Who the hell is in charge of PR for this administration? Even if there is a legitimate reason for this move and even if the sh*thole comment never actually happened you would think someone would step in and say, "Hey, maybe we should hold off on this for a few weeks until things die down." I mean did nobody stop and think that this would give the appearance that the alleged statements actually happened?

Then again, maybe it is a well coordinated move. This keeps the "Trump hates people from poor countries" story in the focus of the media allowing the administration to get away with who knows what. When the first story broke it completely smothered the story that Trump had granted five megabanks three to five year waivers for punishments leveled due to their role in the LIBOR scandal.

What does ATS think? Poor planning on the part of the administration or a smokescreen for a more important story?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I thought those jobs are taken by South Americans?? Will they go back to there Hati hole after the season??

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, according to DHS, there is a reason:

In the notice, DHS said that Haitians applying for the visas "present extremely high rates of refusal" and Haitians who have been granted H-2A and H-2B visas "have demonstrated high levels of fraud and abuse and a high rate of overstaying the terms of their H-2 admission."

But yes, the timing sucks, almost as if Trump had nothing to do with it, and someone on the inside decided this was an opportune time to muddy the waters a bit more. But I doubt there are an Obama holdovers on the inside who want to do bad things to Trump, that would be .....a vast right wing conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

What does ATS think?

Par for the course for this administration . zenophobic to its core.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

originally posted by: network dude

But yes, the timing sucks, almost as if Trump had nothing to do with it, and someone on the inside decided this was an opportune time to muddy the waters a bit more. But I doubt there are an Obama holdovers on the inside who want to do bad things to Trump, that would be .....a vast right wing conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

You have no thoughts of your own ?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Good I don’t want AIDSI hear that AIDS is bad for your health.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The timing of this is rather odd - It's too much of a coincidence considering Trump's alleged statement.

I can say that that DHS excuse is pretty BS thought - there are so many Russians in America that overstay their work visa (there's a particular town in Tennessee that is quite literally full of them) but we still give them out.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I never said the DHS didn't have a reason. In fact your quote was right in my OP.

I have to ask, whatever happened to "The Buck Stops Here?" Anytime an Executive Branch agency does something that doesn't fly with populace Trump's supporters always try to pass it off as a holdover from the Obama administration that's gone rogue or some other ridiculous scenario. The heads of these agencies are Trump appointees and Trump is ultimately the head of all of them. These are high level decisions. So even if they somehow didn't cross Trump's desk they did cross the desk of someone he appointed.

Which is in the end is still a reflection of Trump's ability to lead.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
We were told it’s because they have dark skin, yet I cannot find any reference to race in either this or previous comments on the subject.

PR is a stupid reason to not uphold laws.

link   

Actually, if you think about it, its brilliant. At least in terms of Trumps base in fly-over country!

link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Butterfinger

You have no thoughts of your own ?

When its so finely said right before yours, I tohught you may have missed it, or need to read it again.

Seems like a fair and practical reason to refuse, bad timing, yes, but wrong?

Not compared to other countries, or any successful operation.

If you ran a coffee shop, would you hire anyone who looked like they needed a job, or would you have an application and background checks?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

It seems to me that the POTUS knows something about these nations that we do not, even though he is citing his reasons why (I'd bet that it goes deeper than those reasons...and no, I'm not citing the 'xenophobia' or 'racism' scapegoats that others have and will continue to do).

In any event, he has the authority to do this, so PR be damned. If people who hold visas from these nations are abusing them, it sucks for the others, but be mad at them for ruining it for everyone, not at the president who is putting his nation first.

Honestly, I'm tired of "public relations" being such a high priority for some people...and "xenophobia" and "racism" being their scapegoats for these types of decisions.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just wait for the prices for fresh produce to go up, and see gow people like going to pick there own veggies for a few bucks a day.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Who cares? If it's the right thing do it. USA has too much political correctness and focus group BS already.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

When will people get it?? The United States citizens that voted in our president have clearly spoken that they are SICK of the PR/PC nonsense when it jeopardizes our country. If it makes you feel so bad that the "timing" of the announcement is the problem, then I suggest you reevaluate your own priorities.

Protecting this country from people that would take advantage of our generosity is not racism or xenophobia. As clearly stated in the DHS announcement, it is due to the actions of the higher percentage of people from those countries that have broken the rules. So, if you need to be upset at anyone, be upset at the law breakers, not the enforcers.

Oh wait, that's right....you are convinced the police are bad and racist too.

There's your problem right there.

edit on 1/18/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I never said the law shouldn't be upheld. And I also never said that this ultimately isn't the right decision. At the same time though PR does matter. Thanks to the terrible work of Trump's PR team so far he's already been posting record low approval ratings and he's having a hard time keeping the GOP in line with his goals.

Let's be honest, an unpopular politician can get re-elected. At the same time though others don't want to be seen agreeing with him. So while PR shouldn't affect the law it should definitely be considered when moves like this are made. Like I said in the OP, if they had just waited a week or two this would have slid under the radar.

Another thing worth pointing out, which was brought up by AScrubWhoDied, is that Haiti is hardly the worst offender of overstaying their visa. Hell, in 2016 there were only 65 Hatians approved for these visas. Even if all of those people overstayed their visa it's hardly a worth a mention. Especially when each worker are contributing an average of $4,000 to the local economy. On the other hand there are hundreds if not thousands of people from Canada that overstay their visa. Why is this never an issue?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Talk about a complete non-sequitur

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I never said the law shouldn't be upheld. And I also never said that this ultimately isn't the right decision. At the same time though PR does matter. Thanks to the terrible work of Trump's PR team so far he's already been posting record low approval ratings and he's having a hard time keeping the GOP in line with his goals.

Let's be honest, an unpopular politician can get re-elected. At the same time though others don't want to be seen agreeing with him. So while PR shouldn't affect the law it should definitely be considered when moves like this are made. Like I said in the OP, if they had just waited a week or two this would have slid under the radar.

Another thing worth pointing out, which was brought up by AScrubWhoDied, is that Haiti is hardly the worst offender of overstaying their visa. Hell, in 2016 there were only 65 Hatians approved for these visas. Even if all of those people overstayed their visa it's hardly a worth a mention. Especially when each worker are contributing an average of $4,000 to the local economy. On the other hand there are hundreds if not thousands of people from Canada that overstay their visa. Why is this never an issue?

There are other factors besides overstaying, such as fraud, abuse, non-compliance with terms and conditions.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Krakatoa

Talk about a complete non-sequitur

Perhaps to someone that is in the midst of cognitive dissonance. It is related, since it is the same thought process.

Those that enforce the laws seem to be viewed as racist these days because the people breaking the laws are protected by their skin color or country of origin (that is not the United States). See California and them letting out repeat offenders because, feelings, and other PC crap, Only to have them commit even more crime.

Same mindset, same way of keeping us in a downward spiral.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join