It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking For Great Helicopter Flight Simulators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
One goal I have had in life since I was younger is to become a helicopter pilot. In fact, I am going to seek it as a legitimate career move for my future. There is a great flight academy in town I am scheduled to visit soon. However due to my family size and their age I am not yet committed to enrolling soon. Hopefully by 2020 for sure though.

In the interim, I need to really familiarize myself with the inside of many with a proper flight simulator. I am fully aware computer flight simulators are not a tool to replace academy training, so we do not need to have that discussion. But with a proper flight simulator I could hopefully familiarize myself with the inside of a cockpit more so than now, which is zero. My cousin stayed with us for a year in the early 2000's when I was a freshman in highs school, and he would spend many hours on flight simulators before he eventually went to flight school to become a pilot.

So this is more like a way for me to go from zero - one getting familiar with the dynamics and such. Clearly I am aware there are many an experienced pilots here on ATS, so your input is obviously welcome with high regard. I am also aware helicopter flight is known to be on a much more difficult scale of flight than traditional planes. I hear things like its basically a constant battle or so to keep it airborne and gravity always wants o kill you or other such things.
Either way, I just want to get acclimated to a good accurate screen flight simulator and start some good reading as well.
So does anybody have an excellent sim they can recommend that I can try, and which stores I could buy them from? As well, what references and texts or even a line of texts to bury my nose into from the library or book stores to get me from ignorance to I think I know how it flies so I can have some kind of knowledge before I take the plunge in a few years and go for academy enrollment????

The discussion of funding is also not necessary. Funding is not the issue here. I just need to learn stuff now so that I am in a proper place in my mind to actually be serious when I am ready to enroll. Im not going to show up to a basketball game after all without having practiced how to shoot the dang ball in the net.

Simulators and books, thats what I need right now for a couple years.
edit on 1-18-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Look up some of the games made by "Digital Combat Simulator" (DCS). They made preposterously complicated simulators for various combat and non-combat aircraft. Every button and switch is faithfully represented in the cockpit, and in full realism you have to go flip every switch that you'd need to flip on a real helicopter just to get the rotors to start turning.

I'd recommend DCS: UH-1H Huey, or the gazelle, as I think their systems might be a bit less complicated than the Hind or the Blackshark sims.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter
Cool, I will look into those! I think I will probably get more than a handful. I want to familiarize myself with as many models as I can Over the next couple of years.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I would suggest DCS as a decent simulator. And get the joystick with the rudder pedals if you haven't already.

And have a look at dslyecxi Youtube channel, he has some good videos on flying heli in simulators like DCS and ARMA3 and he did 3 sessions in a real heli, where you get a good grasp of how difficult controling a heli actually is.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Have you ever flown a small aircraft before? If not, i would familiarize yourself with a cesna or some other fixed wing craft before moving on to rotor craft.

There is a lot to learn about airspace, air traffic control, navigation, nav beacons, weather patterns, and a whole lot more. it’s nice to get that down before you start learning how to ballance on a needle at 200knots.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This simulator from FlyThisSim is only $50,000. I put together one of their Cesna machines for a friend who purchased it, and they are nice, albeit overpriced (in my opinion). They use XPlane 10 software along with proprietary enhancements/hardware, hopefully they will begin supporting version 11 sometime this year.

Engineered to be the best value BATD the TouchTrainer FM 210 Flight Simulator provides an ergonomic side by side, dual controlled, immersive cockpit with aviation headset communications, audio simulation, on board instructor's station and a massive 64 square feet of wrap around visual display that makes it the simulator to bring students to your school and keep them coming. Designed to be introduced in the first stages of a pilot's aviation experience integrating ground school, aircraft control skills, and procedure training immediately from the first instructional session. Use the FM 210 in your curriculum to teach basic and advanced procedures, hovering techniques, hover taxi, transition to flight as well as advanced subjects like settling under power, autorotations and run on landings.
FAA Approved Rotary Wing Simulator

edit on 1182018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

edit on 1182018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat
Neat, but I was looking for the video game type for now, and the joysticks that go well with them. That looks like they kind you use in a school setting to me.

I have lots to learn, and plan on spending the next couple years learning it before I even get to the institutional training.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
you better have lots of money . to get a helicopter pilots license youre looking at at least a $100,000 u.s .

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost
its doable.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
Look up some of the games made by "Digital Combat Simulator" (DCS). They made preposterously complicated simulators for various combat and non-combat aircraft. Every button and switch is faithfully represented in the cockpit, and in full realism you have to go flip every switch that you'd need to flip on a real helicopter just to get the rotors to start turning.

I'd recommend DCS: UH-1H Huey, or the gazelle, as I think their systems might be a bit less complicated than the Hind or the Blackshark sims.

Back in the commie 64 days... I had this game called "Huey II UH - 1H". It was the best game ever!!!! It was a lot like the real deal because you had to many things to do just to get off the ground, THEN fly around, find and fight the enemy or do rescue missions over land and sea.

Had to share that. Your mention brought back memories of my childhood and the hundreds of hours I spent on that game.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

If you are really serious about becoming a pilot, I strongly suggest using a simulator like the one I posted a link to. The layout of the gauges and controls mimic actual real-world equipment. The reason for this is to train your brain to control your hands/eyes without hesitation, giving you the ability to switch over from the sim to a real vehicle without relatively little need to adjust. The cesna trainer that I assembled was roughly $12,000, but I think this would be a small price to pay for a huge investment in your dream. Skip the games and plunge directly into useful training.

As a side note, these sims come with a powerful computer- you can install whatever you like on them, so you COULD play games & have an incredible flight sim on the same setup.
edit on 1192018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

The C64 was the very first computer I ever had. When 8 year old me asked my dad if I could have a Nintendo in the late 80's his solution was to give me a whole bunch of pirated floppies of c64 games and a little cheat sheet of commands. We had that little portable one that had a handle and a tiny 8 inch screen. So while all my friends were playing zelda and mario, I was playing flight simulator 2. I've been way into flight sims every since.

Oh, and OP if you're still reading these, if you need a good HOTAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick) get the T-1600m. Its not the most expensive HOTAS, but a lot of fellow sim players say that the only stick that is more precise is the $400+ warthog stick.
edit on 24-1-2018 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Slanter
Thank you, I have added it to my inventory list and will compare them. I really do appreciate it.

new topics

top topics

join