It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s largest underwater cave discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This is the kind of thing I love waking up to! I would love to go check this out. So much history and untouched beauty to see.The cave is 215 miles long. It was actually two caves that they discovered actually join. Sac Actun and Dos Ojos, both in Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula. I imagine there is still a lot to explore and I really can’t wait to hear what else they find. news.nationalgeographic.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link to Nat Geo

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Excellent find
There is so much to discover beneath the surface and maybe the 'aliens' are down there too

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Could this:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

be what you were referring to?

If so, this is amazing work by the survey team, and a massive discovery. The two previously known caves, have been proven to be adjoined by some form of connecting pathway, tunnel or other connection point, making them a single entity.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Ahh thank you for fixing that. The video is amazing and I am sure there are more maybe on YouTube or something. But for now I have to look at my monitors at work and pretend to do stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Go!

Make every effort to appear productive! And as for your thanks, don't mention it!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
ngm.nationalgeographic.com...
When I learned of that It totally blew my mind .
This is the kind of thing that really is amazing .
ps if you read about the crystals you will learn the caves are very special and the crystals can only grown there .

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Underwater archaeologist Guillermo de Anda has released his teams preliminary findings from their research of the cave , he has called the cave the most important submerged archaeological site in the world , so far they've found 198 archaeological sites containing a mix of Mayan and animal finds.

De Anda, who leads the Great Maya Aquifer Project (GAM), suggests people probably didn't actually live in the branching underwater cave – called the Sac Actun System – but ventured inside it during periods of great climate stress to search for water.

But their culture and the caves were nonetheless inextricably linked, with the divers finding numerous examples of Maya-era pottery and other ceramics such as wall etchings, but also evidence of larger artefacts, such as a shrine to the Maya god of commerce and a staircase structure inside one cenote.

When they didn't have staircases, descending into the world's largest underwater cave could be dangerous – the amount of bones the cavern holds suggests not everybody was able to climb back out again, and the same fate may have been true for many animals.

Inside the cave, researchers found fossils of numerous creatures from the last Ice Age, including giant sloths and bears, as well as the remains of an extinct elephant-like animal called a gomphothere.
www.sciencealert.com...

Their research continues.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wow amazing, as a keen scuba diver myself that video was brilliant to watch however the thought of cave diving scares the living crap out of me. I don't like diving where I can't see the surface knowing that I cant ditch my gear and head for the surface is always unsettling with me, I know if I were to quickly surface mid dive I risk getting the bends but it's something I'd risk to have a chance of surviving. Cave divers are in a league of their own how they stay afloat carrying those big gentleman parts amazes me

Thanks for sharing
edit on 21-2-2018 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

top topics

join