It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once pot friendly Northern California county bans marijuana

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I remember back about 7-8 years ago I had a few friends living in the green triangle area. They flat out told me the first time it looked like legalization was going to get a vote the local growers had a meeting of sorts about it and most people were against it. The fear was the income they would lose going legal compared to black market. Not saying that's whats happening here but I sure ain't saying so either.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
That county's police are going to be overburdened with trying to crack down on something legal all around them.

Dry countys don't work...the only benefit this county will receive from this is a loss of revenue

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: fritzM

In a way it was the government. It’s what the voters wanted.

They the county did collect the money first.

I agree completely with the politicians doing what they were voted in to do.

But it sounds like it was a planned action. I can see the meeting now, Let's license a bunch of pot farms to get the money and then we'll make it illegal to we can keep the fees. Those pot-heads will never see it coming.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: fritzM

Dry counties are ridiculous. When I was a kid in Mississippi my parents and relatives went to next county over and bought liquor. Then rode around on country roads and drinking. They made me drive them around at 12. They threw all the bottles and cans out the window so they wouldn’t be found at home. After recycling started, they called it Mississippi welfare.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Isn't Lynchburg Tenn dry? I think Jack Daniels Distillery does quite well. Same could happen for these Pot Farmers.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

3-2?

The only place it is acceptable for three to two, to be a margin by which anything is decided at all, is when the thing being decided is the winner of a Football Association match, not a political matter affecting the lives of citizens. This is the same sort of absolute bull that saw Ajit Pai and his conspirators destroy the freedom of the internet, possibly for good. No five people have the right to decide anything for anyone but themselves, regardless of what position they occupy in public, or how they came by it.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This isn't surprising. For years all over Northern California growers have been funneling money into local governments to keep cannabis illegal, because as long as it stays illegal, they keep making the large amounts of money they are accustomed to.

When cannabis goes legal, all these growers who have been growing illegally for 20+ years are going to see a massive drop in profits.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

That is pretty much what I have heard over the years. I know a couple people who went from making a couple million a season to not even a million after taxes and regulations and price drops.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: underwerks

That is pretty much what I have heard over the years. I know a couple people who went from making a couple million a season to not even a million after taxes and regulations and price drops.

Yep. It's been going on for years. It's a constant battle between the growers who want it to stay illegal and the local governments who want to legalize and get a piece of the pie themselves.

It really seems kind of backwards, but in places like Humboldt cannabis is such a normal thing that illegal growers don't face the same kind of police persecution as they do in other places. So they want it to stay illegal to keep raking in those profits.

It was the craziest thing the first time I heard about it. I couldn't believe that growers who were breaking the law would be fighting to keep cannabis illegal. But they are. And investing a lot of money into it from what I was told.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Gotta make sure the Mexican Cartels dont have too much competition north of the border.

California is the largest grower of marijuana inside the states, even before legalization. The weed didn't really come from Mexico to there in the first place. Maybe it did in the 70's..

-Native Californian
edit on 18-1-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I have to admit that I'm glad. Although I did vote in favor of the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts I couldn't have imagined how many kids would be smoking it out in the open. Everyday I hop on the train someone is openly rolling a cigarette at the top floor of the parking garage. People are smoking it out in the open in downtown boston where little kids are seeing this. I don't like seeing people drink open cointainers out in public let alone smoking a bone.

I think we are running into more issues with kids openly trying marijuana. I say that because youth that are locked up acknowledge that sales are up amongst middle school and highschool kids.

I really thought people could be responsible and I wanted people who are ill to have easier access. I'm fine with people eating edibles because I can't see it or smell it...maybe I'm a hypocrite but man oh man people are dumb..
There is no evidence to my knowledge of increased use, nor for teens. In fact, teen drug use has been going down for a long time. Stats matter.

Also, alcohol and hard drug use is going down in some legalization states, both of which are worse.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I hope they sue the crap out of them!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
madness.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I know a permit holder personally who got screwed by this. All said and done, 7 million collected in fees, 35 million spent by growers to facilitate their infrastructure according to the rules set forth by the county.

After 2 years it's over.

Now those growers who were willing to "open their books" to actually do it legit are targets for legal action if they grow. They county now has ALL THEIR PERSONAL INFORMATION ( SO THEY KNOW WHO THE GROWERS ARE..) LOCATIONS OF THEIR GROWS, ETC.

When the big companies like Philip Morris, et al..come to grow it commercially, the competition can be swiftly eliminated.

It's ALL about money..

and these traitorous board members should be hung from the rafters.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Weed isn't addictive. That's what they say. Weed is not addictive, until you try to take it away.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Calaveras County is part of the NEW California movment.
newcaliforniastate.com...

They like many counties in calif are tired of the crime from the Marijuana legalization.

and very tired of the calif sanctuary state.

www.oregonlive.com...

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

There's a flaw in that argument. Don't forget that the Old Testament outright bans the consumption of a lot of naturally occurring foods in Leviticus, like pork, shellfish, and a lot more.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

originally posted by: one4all

originally posted by: chrismarco

I have to admit that I'm glad. Although I did vote in favor of the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts I couldn't have imagined how many kids would be smoking it out in the open. Everyday I hop on the train someone is openly rolling a cigarette at the top floor of the parking garage. People are smoking it out in the open in downtown boston where little kids are seeing this. I don't like seeing people drink open cointainers out in public let alone smoking a bone.

I think we are running into more issues with kids openly trying marijuana. I say that because youth that are locked up acknowledge that sales are up amongst middle school and highschool kids.

I really thought people could be responsible and I wanted people who are ill to have easier access. I'm fine with people eating edibles because I can't see it or smell it...maybe I'm a hypocrite but man oh man people are dumb..

Legalisation was the old PTB trying to defend their big pharma control of the planet...... we need to focus all of our energy on medical validation and legal support of this validation of MJs medical uses....MJ is medicinal and when the root causes of this medicinal value are made public it will change how we view our health and longevity and life potentials forever....it will also break big pharmas lock on the planet......but EVERYTHING HINGES ON LEGAL VALIDATION OF THE MEDICINAL VALUE AND REASONABLE NATIONWIDE MEDICAL ACESS.....the idea is to give everyone a place to safely and EASILY acess MJ....while at the same time acknowledging what and why they are self-medicating with it......education is the key.

What kind of education do you have in mind?

PSY 101 - how to avoid hard drugs after your brain was turned into pudding?

yeah, I do not like smoking. pot or else.

A basic education on what MJ is and how it is optimally utilised . IMHO combustion is the least beneficial method.MJ is a potent anti-parasitic when properly prepared or cooked and ingested.It s a food.With medicinal benefits.Like many foods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join