It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once pot friendly Northern California county bans marijuana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I can only imagine how the legal growers are some kinda pissed after paying for the license and the taxes required by the state and county. Newly elected board members (4) to the board of supervisors were seated this month after winning election in November on campaign promises to ban marijuana.

A newly constituted Calaveras County board of supervisors last week voted 3-2 to ban marijuana, giving some 200 farmers with permits about three months to wind down operations. The vote to ban occurred less than a month after California authorized retail sales of marijuana for recreational use in cities and counties that approve of pot operations within their borders.

Calaveras County growers with permits said Wednesday they are planning to sue. Each permit cost $5,000 and the county has collected more than $7 million in taxes from marijuana growers since 2016.

www.sfgate.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I can only imagine how the legal growers are some kinda pissed after paying for the license and the taxes required by the state and county. Newly elected board members (4) to the board of supervisors were seated this month after winning election in November on campaign promises to ban marijuana.

A newly constituted Calaveras County board of supervisors last week voted 3-2 to ban marijuana, giving some 200 farmers with permits about three months to wind down operations. The vote to ban occurred less than a month after California authorized retail sales of marijuana for recreational use in cities and counties that approve of pot operations within their borders.

Calaveras County growers with permits said Wednesday they are planning to sue. Each permit cost $5,000 and the county has collected more than $7 million in taxes from marijuana growers since 2016.

www.sfgate.com...

Asshattery at it's utmost! That's insane, of all places you would think this was the free thinking liberal state. Sad that it's gone to pot.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Gotta make sure the Mexican Cartels dont have too much competition north of the border.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Banning must be done with a parallel and equally powerfull push to validate and provide prescription level acess to MJ.....many medicate with it hich is why it is socially attractive....this is what has driven the illegal market...sooooo.....simply make it officially acceptable and societally acceptable to use MJ as a prescription drug as it should be used....user rates will not fall and no one will be denied acess if it is as simple as going to your doctor and asking for it to help with your ills....and this is the level of controls and acceptance both legally and societally which should have been mated to the MJ debates long long ago.

Don't worry....no one will lose their constitutional right to use MJ....they will simply have to accept it is a drug and needs to be controlled....access denial is not a suitable control mechanism for a drug as societally acceptable and as diverse in its uses.Validation and legislation which support MJ as a medical drug to be treated and dispensed as such is needed ASAP.....and it has to be realistic meaning nearly anyone can go get it from their doctors for treatments for everything from tennis elbow pain to cancer to appetite control to sleep control ect ect ect ......
edit on 18-1-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I have to admit that I'm glad. Although I did vote in favor of the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts I couldn't have imagined how many kids would be smoking it out in the open. Everyday I hop on the train someone is openly rolling a cigarette at the top floor of the parking garage. People are smoking it out in the open in downtown boston where little kids are seeing this. I don't like seeing people drink open cointainers out in public let alone smoking a bone.

I think we are running into more issues with kids openly trying marijuana. I say that because youth that are locked up acknowledge that sales are up amongst middle school and highschool kids.

I really thought people could be responsible and I wanted people who are ill to have easier access. I'm fine with people eating edibles because I can't see it or smell it...maybe I'm a hypocrite but man oh man people are dumb..

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I have to admit that I'm glad. Although I did vote in favor of the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts I couldn't have imagined how many kids would be smoking it out in the open. Everyday I hop on the train someone is openly rolling a cigarette at the top floor of the parking garage. People are smoking it out in the open in downtown boston where little kids are seeing this. I don't like seeing people drink open cointainers out in public let alone smoking a bone.

I think we are running into more issues with kids openly trying marijuana. I say that because youth that are locked up acknowledge that sales are up amongst middle school and highschool kids.

I really thought people could be responsible and I wanted people who are ill to have easier access. I'm fine with people eating edibles because I can't see it or smell it...maybe I'm a hypocrite but man oh man people are dumb..

Legalisation was the old PTB trying to defend their big pharma control of the planet...... we need to focus all of our energy on medical validation and legal support of this validation of MJs medical uses....MJ is medicinal and when the root causes of this medicinal value are made public it will change how we view our health and longevity and life potentials forever....it will also break big pharmas lock on the planet......but EVERYTHING HINGES ON LEGAL VALIDATION OF THE MEDICINAL VALUE AND REASONABLE NATIONWIDE MEDICAL ACESS.....the idea is to give everyone a place to safely and EASILY acess MJ....while at the same time acknowledging what and why they are self-medicating with it......education is the key.
edit on 18-1-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

originally posted by: chrismarco

Legalisation was the old PTB trying to defend their big pharma control of the planet...... we need to focus all of our energy on medical validation and legal support of this validation of MJs medical uses....MJ is medicinal and when the root causes of this medicinal value are made public it will change how we view our health and longevity and life potentials forever....it will also break big pharmas lock on the planet......but EVERYTHING HINGES ON LEGAL VALIDATION OF THE MEDICINAL VALUE AND REASONABLE NATIONWIDE MEDICAL ACESS.....the idea is to give everyone a place to safely and EASILY acess MJ....while at the same time acknowledging what and why they are self-medicating with it......education is the key.

What kind of education do you have in mind?

PSY 101 - how to avoid hard drugs after your brain was turned into pudding?

yeah, I do not like smoking. pot or else.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Pot is a "HARD Drug"?

People should face jail and a litany of penal BS for possession, because you dont care for it?

I mean anyone would seriously see people locked up / criminalized for 'exotic' bad habits?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

When you use word"hard drug" it diminishes your opinion,only data supporting your claim is your 2 cents,what ever it's worth in a 3rd world country

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I thought in the event of a conflict between state and local government, state trumps always. Surely the growers and whoever else is affected by this move can just tell the county to shove up their bung holes.

EDIT: Follow the money...

edit on 18-1-2018 by GusMcDangerthing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
No real problem. CA simply makes sure that said county receives no portion of the revenue generated by cannabis. All the millions rolling into the state coffers get distributed to all the counties except that one. Give it a little while, they'll be screaming like little hungry piggies.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

www.sfgate.com...

Almost as if this was just a money grab.

Nah, the government wouldn't do that, would it?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Gotta make sure the Mexican Cartels dont have too much competition north of the border.

Or the Liquor Cartels, Big Pharma, Tobacco Industry.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Wow, bummer. That could create a supply issue. I know a couple of growers up north, I will have to get in touch to see what they are saying. I mean the shops are open and selling to everyone now. I have my medical card though.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: fritzM

In a way it was the government. It’s what the voters wanted.

They the county did collect the money first.

“The economically struggling county of 44,000 residents initially embraced legalized marijuana as a way to generate revenue and recover from a devastating 2015 wildfire that displaced hundreds or residents and businesses. The county used some of the marijuana tax to hire additional police and staff.”

“But four new board members were seated this month after winning election in November on campaign promises to ban marijuana.”

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

MA was already a really high use state. It's been number two in the nation well before legalization. You have terrible areas like orange and Athol etc...

It's illegal to smoke in public. MA has thoroughly botched the entire process of legalization from medical to recreational.

There is a trend that kids are doing less drugs except for Marijuana. Kids are also drinking less. It's not legalization. Colorado teen use is down. It's the way the state moronically passed the law and then decided to think about how to do it.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Looks like the "Growers" forgot to "donate" to the right candidates !!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I would ask these members of the Calaveras County board of supervisors (like anybody else who thinks he could ban a plant) if they believe in "god".

And if they would answer with yes, i would ask them:

"And what do you think that you are, putting yourself before your "god"? Putting yourself before the "god" which gave earth that plant you want to try to ban. You blasphemers!"

Wouldn´t that work in a country where everybody follows a "religious" gods/idols cult?

It should!

If these members of the Calaveras County board of supervisors really would believe (i bet as they tell everybody) in any other gods than Mammon and the god for greed.

edit on 18 1 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
So... Is this county going to be discluded from the "New California" succession attempts? It seems they want to stay away from backwards thinking (such as this)....

I hope the farmers all sue the county. They want to enact a ban to make people feel warm and fuzzy? I say they get ALL of the tax money back, plus extra for distress, losing livelihood, etc.

We'll see how long the new board members stay, once they start voting to raise taxes and local fees to compensate for the lost revenue...

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a waste of time ..
edit on 18-1-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join