It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetics Why CRISPR-Edited Food May Be in Supermarkets Sooner Than You Think

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: Kandinsky

May I ask why you willfully trust GMO's or Crispr? Why do you think they're trustworthy? I'm on the sidelines with this due to my distrust for the governing bodies that lourd over us.

In conspiracy land, to tamper with plant genes means they somehow change the genes of the human that eats them. I don't hold to that belief and don't regard GMO as unsafe. I'm against them because they disrupt ecosystems and we are all dependent on them. Plus profits are momentary and transitory and the world we live in has a future that matters more.

I'm open-minded with CRISPR because it's a very new science. To be honest, the human applications of CRISPR interest me far more than the agricultural ones.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Maybe I came on too strong, most of our food may well be gmo free but, really, how would we know if they were spiking it or not? We only know what they tell us, that was my initial point. They've never been upfront with people, why should they be now? That's kind of what I was getting at.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Ok fair enough, but, wouldn't you prefer Biologically Organic food instead? In parts of Europe i've read it's illegal to buy heirloom seeds now. Why would they do that? It would mean we're stuck with whatever they allow us to own. And how would Crispr help Europe if the only seeds you can buy are GMO seeds, the same seeds that commit suicide after one or two seasons of use forcing consumers to buy new ones yearly. I would like more info on Crispr before deciding if they're worth my trust.

Crispr just seems like a knock off of GMO's.
edit on 20-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

In conspiracy land, to tamper with plant genes means they somehow change the genes of the human that eats them. I don't hold to that belief and don't regard GMO as unsafe

That's a very bizarre belief.

I am against GMO because food is so sensitive as it is, the combination of metabolism, allergies and many other factors, the introduction of chemicals, colors and preservatives, taste enhancers are causing all sorts of digestion problems in people at an alarming rate, we have already made ourselves sick now we are splicing genes, doing in years what takes nature hundreds if not thousands .

ITs really greed driven its not survival, there are better ways, just look at permaculture, if you really understand how it works you will see its the answer .

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I buy free range eggs, organic milk and vegetables (mostly) and meat from local farms.

Problem is it's a luxury that isn't available to most people. They can't grow their own and they can't be so choosy over their food. I've been piss poor and bought the cheapest food available in the past. Clear conscience doesn't have a calorie value.

The West missed a trick when it allowed for a system to monopolise food production. Genie out of the lamp. Same way with Nestle's argument that water is not a human right. These people are profit-hungry psychopaths who don't care for the planet or the future of life on Earth.

IMO.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

The ability to buy organic food indeed is a luxury, and you're right, few have that availability, you're lucky. Do you feel this trend will continue with the food standard or is there hope that the world can reverse the creation of modified food.

It's not that hard when you think about it, to grow food. We're told there's a shortage but I beg to differ. There's always a way to make things better, if only we invest in it properly rather than depending on science for all our answers. You're right, there are too many profit hungry careless psychopaths running amuck in charge of our well being, that needs to stop before we can move forwards.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Man, these are such enormous issues that we're both lucky in a way to not have to solve them. We're deep into an extinction event and populations are rising everywhere. Not enough food for the future if current production rates continue. Agriculture is distorting other ecosystems and we don't seem to know what's around the corner.

It gets expedient and tempting to use science-based short-cuts to boost production and make profits too.

This TED Talk isn't easy viewing. She argues we're heading to a crisis whereby we can't produce and transport the amount of calories necessary to feed the predicted population in 10-40 years time.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
CRISPR is a gene editing technique, it's the new hotness, if your in that field.

it recently got a boost in efficiency.
edit on 20-1-2018 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Man, these are such enormous issues that we're both lucky in a way to not have to solve them. We're deep into an extinction event and populations are rising everywhere. Not enough food for the future if current production rates continue. Agriculture is distorting other ecosystems and we don't seem to know what's around the corner.

It gets expedient and tempting to use science-based short-cuts to boost production and make profits too.

This TED Talk isn't easy viewing. She argues we're heading to a crisis whereby we can't produce and transport the amount of calories necessary to feed the predicted population in 10-40 years time.

We are lucky, but regardless, I want to solve them because when i'm posed with a problem, I'm driven to find an answer for it. It's just how my mind works I guess. Good video thank you for posting it. But there's one thing I've always disagreed on, for years. And that is, that they're telling us that the world is overpopulated when it's not. Even the New York Times admits it isn't true.www.nytimes.com... Please, I'm not undermining you at all, on the contrary. I've always seen people like .. say ... Soros who intentionally try to destroy every good that we have left.

They say

All 7 Billion Persons, the Whole World, fit in any one of the 50 US States & Anchorage, Alaska!
If this is true, then we need to rethink everything including how we grow and harvest our food. North America is screwed as far as GMO's, But in NA you can still purchase heirloom seeds unlike Europe which is a very good thing. I think people aren't questioning the Government nearly as much as they ought.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The video isn't talking over-population. It's treating food consumption, population and transportation as a maths problem. The average calorific intake per person multiplied by population plus x as transport/infrastructure.

If this is true, then we need to rethink everything including how we grow and harvest our food. North America is screwed as far as GMO's, But in NA you can still purchase heirloom seeds unlike Europe which is a very good thing. I think people aren't questioning the Government nearly as much as they ought.

^^^ This is the message of the talk. We can work smarter to ensure food and transport infrastructure copes with growing populations. Otherwise, we're heading towards a world with such stark food inequalities that we'll be faced with migration crises.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

The video isn't talking over-population. It's treating food consumption, population and transportation as a maths problem. The average calorific intake per person multiplied by population plus x as transport/infrastructure.

^^^ This is the message of the talk. We can work smarter to ensure food and transport infrastructure copes with growing populations. Otherwise, we're heading towards a world with such stark food inequalities that we'll be faced with migration crises.

Well.. what if everyone just went on a fast? That would save enormous amounts of food world wide. And cure disease at the same time. 1 month would do it. I think people over eat as it is,way too much. Look at monks for instance, they eat very little daily, in fact no more than a a small palm full of all food groups combined. Protein, Veggie etc. Everything they need for Vitamin intake.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Maybe I came on too strong, most of our food may well be gmo free but, really, how would we know if they were spiking it or not? We only know what they tell us, that was my initial point. They've never been upfront with people, why should they be now? That's kind of what I was getting at.

I get ya, the only food we can ever truly trust is the food we grow and raise ourselves. I at least have a heavily government regulated food industry which enforces labelling for GM food so as a result the overwhelming majority of people such as myself do not buy it.
Oh and maybe do a search because you'll find estimates that about 75% of US food is now GM.
I'm happy for your nation to be the crash test dummies for long term effects on people and the environment.
If there are no ill effects in 20 years maybe I'll try some myself, but if it goes tits up with your ecosystems then I'll thank my lucky stars that tainted pollen cannot cross the Atlantic too easily.
edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typing mistake

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I'm not on the train with GMO's at all. I'm sure something bad is gonna come of it. I mean in Europe you can't buy organic heirloom seeds anymore? Why the hell not? You can do that here still, I say buy what you can while you can before they try making it illegal here too. For hells sake in some areas here you can't collect rain water. Were' being run by kook's who like playin chess with people.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Where did you read that? Heirloom seeds are available in the UK. I can't speak for continental Europe though.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

a reply to: Assassin82

The last thing I would adhere to eating would be more genetically altered crap.

I prefer the Farmers Market as well, good natural food source as apposed to cyberwrapped garbage. Not putting down those who can't but really it's a matter of research. I know what crap tastes like, that's why i dumped it and found something better.

You know I also shop for produce at a farmers market. The reason being is that the food is less apt to have been sitting for weeks at a time. That said I have no idea what these farmers use to grow their crops. Even on the organic side. Shopping at a farmers market and buying organic doesn't necessarily keep you from buying unwanted food sources. May improve the odds a bit or not.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Where did you read that? Heirloom seeds are available in the UK. I can't speak for continental Europe though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

I know. To me. These genetically modified crops = slow genocide.

It's actually the opposite as we, humans, have been cross-breeding plants for thousands of years and if we hadn't we wouldn't be able to eat most fruits and veg.

With cross-breeding we selected certain plants for specific characteristics and then transferred its pollen to another plant with another specific characteristic (for example one has best quality and the other resistance to cold). By doing this our ancestors 'mixed' plants that may have never happened naturally.

GMOs are just that, precision cross breeding, done in a lab so instead of taking years or decades to change, they are fast as they immediately select the gene they need to enhance taste, resistance, size etc.

It really bothers me when people give uninformed answers regarding the difference between Hybrid/cross breeding and GMO foods. So here, I'll copy and paste some simple information.

Farmers and gardeners have been cultivating new plant varieties for thousands of years through selective breeding. They did this by cross-pollinating two different, but related plants over 6 to 10 plant generations, eventually creating a new plant variety.

***SNIP***

Furthermore, GMO seeds seldom cross different, but related plants. Often the cross goes far beyond the bounds of nature so that instead of crossing two different, but related varieties of plant, they are crossing different biological kingdoms — like, say, a bacteria with a plant.

For example, Monsanto has crossed genetic material from a bacteria known as Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) with corn. The goal was to create a pest-resistant plant. This means that any pests attempting to eat the corn plant will die since the pesticide is part of every cell of the plant.

The resultant GMO plant, known as Bt Corn, is itself registered as a pesticide with the EPA, along with other GMO Bt crops. In other words, if you feed this corn to your cattle, your chickens, or yourself, you’ll be feeding them an actual pesticide — not just a smidgeon of pesticide residue.

www.foodrenegade.com...

The term “GMO” typically refers to crops or animals that, through genetic engineering, have had a gene (or a few genes) from a different species inserted into their genome.

Kevin C. Glenn, Ph.D., Allergenicity/Pipeline Issues Mgmt Lead, Monsanto Company • on January 8, 2018

gmoanswers.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
It really bothers me when people give uninformed answers regarding the difference between Hybrid/cross breeding and GMO foods.

It really bothers me when people follow sites that are clearly into pseudo-science so they post misinformation on purpose to confuse the gullible, like the website on your link that said:

For example, Monsanto has crossed genetic material from a bacteria known as Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) with corn. The goal was to create a pest-resistant plant. This means that any pests attempting to eat the corn plant will die since the pesticide is part of every cell of the plant.

The resultant GMO plant, known as Bt Corn, is itself registered as a pesticide with the EPA, along with other GMO Bt crops. In other words, if you feed this corn to your cattle, your chickens, or yourself, you’ll be feeding them an actual pesticide — not just a smidgeon of pesticide residue.

www.foodrenegade.com...

LOL so much fearmongering nonsense.

The donor organism in Btcorn is Bacillys thuringiensis, a bacteria that occurs naturally in soil, harmless to all insects, animals and humans. The bacterium produces a protein that kills a specific type of larvae that feeds on corn.

Because it is natural but at the same time protects corn form larvae, it has been used as a natural biopesticide used in organic farming. Organic food avoid the use of 'man-made chemical fertilizers.

So no, the site you linked are not telling the truth, as people are not feeding on pesticide when eating Btcorn, they are ingesting a bacteria that we may ingest anyway as it's found in soils. And even if you eat organic you'd still be ingesting it, as it is used in organic farming.

Harvard University.

The term “GMO” typically refers to crops or animals that, through genetic engineering, have had a gene (or a few genes) from a different species inserted into their genome.

Kevin C. Glenn, Ph.D., Allergenicity/Pipeline Issues Mgmt Lead, Monsanto Company • on January 8, 2018

gmoanswers.com...

Once again you are not telling the whole truth, your own link explains that GMO means switching off certain genes or adding genes from other sources. Those sources can be from the same plant, a related plant or bacteria.

Nearly all foods today have been genetically modified or altered in some way over thousands of years through selective breeding.

Virtually all of the sources of food in our diets are from “genetically modified organisms.” Ancient farmers developed crops like wheat, rice, potatoes and maize. For example, wheat was created by humans breeding three different species that, if left to nature, would not have cross-bred.

Your own link.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can find nothing in the original EU governmental publications which indicates that heirloom seeds are to be banned. The article you sourced from that thread is nothing more than click bait scaremongering in my opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join